• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

How The Hivewire Horse (harry) Came To Be.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Harry is a different mesh/UV to the Big Cat but I think all the hooved animals will be the same as Harry so could possibly "wear" the same displacement map. The Big Cat veins would most likely work on the House Cat and Dog (just not sure if the veins would be in the same place for each animal in real life but I don't think that would matter much).

I think a displacement map would work ok for veins but I think the muscles would need morphs (and if it was morphs I think this would be great so you can dial in how muscular you'd like the animal to be).

oh, i agree. would just be nice having both.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Boris was mostly fantasy and mythology while Julie was more into hero paintings and similar. I think over the years their talents have merged a bit more. Both equally talented!
One of my favorite Julie Bell images!! LOL Note the drowned sailor resembles Boris if you have ever seen an image of him.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh look at that. I wonder if he's ever incorporated Julie in any of his images.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Hot damn he does amazing work, and yes I was on their site the other day and saw pictures of both of them. I was scratching my head trying to think of how they could be working on one image together, but then, I've read books written by more than one author, so I guess it's possible.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think she learnt a lot of her painting early on from him as a mentor, and her style was very much like his, she's slowly evolved her own style (her early metal was exquisite) and it looks like she is currently doing more natural/nature artwork (her wolves look like they could leap out of the painting).

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
So I have been tinkering with some mapping and have some thing that could work well for veins. Alas when I attempted to see what I could do about ribs it didn't work out so well, displacement is not really enough thought what I have may work for a start.
So a question for you all before a go any further, how veiny do you want Harry?

eclark1894

Visionary
So I have been tinkering with some mapping and have some thing that could work well for veins. Alas when I attempted to see what I could do about ribs it didn't work out so well, displacement is not really enough thought what I have may work for a start.
So a question for you all before a go any further, how veiny do you want Harry?
Could someone explain to me why veins in renders is such a "hot thing"? right now. I, personally, don't get the appeal, unless you're trying to achieve a realistic render of a pro wrestler or something, which I never have tried for.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Could someone explain to me why veins in renders is such a "hot thing"? right now. I, personally, don't get the appeal, unless you're trying to achieve a realistic render of a pro wrestler or something, which I never have tried for.
As far as the horse goes it would add a lot of realism to renders of say race horses just off the track after a race or a prime stallion seeing off danger from his herd, thins like that. You'd be amazed at how much a bit of light veining can go towards making an image pop, take this image of mine for example. Just a little bit and suddenly Harry has a whole new personality

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm waiting for the reindeer, which I'm hoping will be available by the end of year "holiday season". ~hint, hint, hint~