• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yay VB! Did you add a smoothing modifier? That will add collision without any smoothing at default. Also you could use a push modifier at .01 or .02. I find that works well with poke-thru!

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Not that this is particularly exciting, or anything, but here is a little sample of the displacement map I am "working on"... I am simultaneously creating an blend node map so that I can have a two-toned material, but I haven't gotten around to applying it to the texture yet.

first try displacement map.png

It still needs a lot of work, but I just wanted to do a test to see if by taking a path (the squigglies) and blurring the edges I could get a working displacement map. I still need to work on the areas where two sections overlap; that is still too big of a bump. I also want to blur the edges less, so that squigglies look more like something added on top of the texture.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
So this really isn't a progress update, other than a proof that by applying a smoothing modifier, poke-through in DS is taken care of...

Horseback Escape.jpg

This was primarily an iray test, and secondarily a dynamic blanket test, so that's why Harry's new clothes aren't the main focus of the picture.

Lessons learned:

1. Iray atmocam does produce nice rays, but it takes FOREVER to render (around 3 days...);
2. Adding a splash geometry object slows down the render too, but I think it beats post-work as far as results (this may have effected the render times too);
3. Hair looks more realistic when you run it through Poser's Hair room as a dynamic cloth sim using a windforce;
4. Oh, and Harry's new iray textures work very nicely...

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Hmmm. I step away for a few days, and return to see that almost every post I made in this thread (as long as there were pictures involved) got a "like" from the same person. If I didn't know any better, that would sound remotely like a hint to get this project finished... ;)

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Hmmm. I step away for a few days, and return to see that almost every post I made in this thread (as long as there were pictures involved) got a "like" from the same person. If I didn't know any better, that would sound remotely like a hint to get this project finished... ;)

You take hints so well! *grin*

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
In case you didn't notice it's July 30, and your last post was July 3, we've had to wait sooooo long! How about an update? *grin*

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Hmmm. Where to begin. Updates usually require progress, and unfortunately, that has most definitely been lacking. However... One of the reasons for the lack of progress in the last month was getting and setting up a new computer, so there is still hope. Work has been keeping me quite busy, but I should have a few more spare minutes this month, to hopefully do some more mesh modelling (on the bridle) and painting.

And, of course, I've just been having way too much fun rendering...and all these new fun contests that people keep coming up with CERTAINLY don't help get work done, no matter how much fun they are.