Harry Goes to Arabia

Discussion in 'It's About the Art!' started by VortigensBane, Jan 8, 2016.

1. VortigensBane

VortigensBane Busy Bee

Again, I'm still in procedural texture mode; this set is done up using ParrotDolphin's Iray cloth shaders...

2. Chris

Chris HW3D President Staff Member Co-Founder

Agreed! Very nicely done!!

3. Pendraia

Pendraia Seasoned Contributing Artist

Yay VB! Did you add a smoothing modifier? That will add collision without any smoothing at default. Also you could use a push modifier at .01 or .02. I find that works well with poke-thru!

4. Alisa

Alisa HW3D QAV Queen Bee Staff Member QAV-BEE

Nice!

5. VortigensBane

VortigensBane Busy Bee

Nope. Didn't add any modifiers at all. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the tip!

Pendraia likes this.
  6. Flint_Hawk

Flint_Hawk Ambitious

Great work!

7. CWRW

CWRW Extraordinary HW3D Exclusive Artist

It's looking really good VB!

8. Pendraia

Pendraia Seasoned Contributing Artist

No problem...

9. VortigensBane

VortigensBane Busy Bee

Not that this is particularly exciting, or anything, but here is a little sample of the displacement map I am "working on"... I am simultaneously creating an blend node map so that I can have a two-toned material, but I haven't gotten around to applying it to the texture yet.

first try displacement map.png

It still needs a lot of work, but I just wanted to do a test to see if by taking a path (the squigglies) and blurring the edges I could get a working displacement map. I still need to work on the areas where two sections overlap; that is still too big of a bump. I also want to blur the edges less, so that squigglies look more like something added on top of the texture.

CWRW, Pendraia and Rae134 like this.
  10. Carey

Carey Extraordinary

yes wonderful! all of this is just plain wonderful

11. VortigensBane

VortigensBane Busy Bee

So this really isn't a progress update, other than a proof that by applying a smoothing modifier, poke-through in DS is taken care of...

Horseback Escape.jpg

This was primarily an iray test, and secondarily a dynamic blanket test, so that's why Harry's new clothes aren't the main focus of the picture.

Lessons learned:

1. Iray atmocam does produce nice rays, but it takes FOREVER to render (around 3 days...);
    2. Adding a splash geometry object slows down the render too, but I think it beats post-work as far as results (this may have effected the render times too);
    3. Hair looks more realistic when you run it through Poser's Hair room as a dynamic cloth sim using a windforce;
    4. Oh, and Harry's new iray textures work very nicely...

Me195, quietrob, Lyne and 7 others like this.
  12. Rae134

Rae134 Renowned CV-BEE Contributing Artist

Oh! :wub: VB!

13. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

Nice render VB.

14. Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dakorillon (IMArts) Extraordinary Contributing Artist

It is so cool to watch the progression! I'm learning so much.

15. VortigensBane

VortigensBane Busy Bee

Hmmm. I step away for a few days, and return to see that almost every post I made in this thread (as long as there were pictures involved) got a "like" from the same person. If I didn't know any better, that would sound remotely like a hint to get this project finished... ;)

Dakorillon (IMArts) and Rae134 like this.
  16. Dakorillon (IMArts)

You take hints so well! *grin*

17. Rae134

Rae134 Renowned CV-BEE Contributing Artist

If that's all it take VB, then I'd go and unlike everything so I could like it again :p

Dakorillon (IMArts) and Pendraia like this.
  18. VortigensBane

VortigensBane Busy Bee

Hmm. Judging by the number of alerts I got in relation to this thread in the last 24 hours, sounds like Dakorillon has been giving people ideas. Hopefully not everyone will take Rae's suggestion, though... ;)

19. Dakorillon (IMArts)

In case you didn't notice it's July 30, and your last post was July 3, we've had to wait sooooo long! How about an update? *grin*

20. VortigensBane

VortigensBane Busy Bee

Hmmm. Where to begin. Updates usually require progress, and unfortunately, that has most definitely been lacking. However... One of the reasons for the lack of progress in the last month was getting and setting up a new computer, so there is still hope. Work has been keeping me quite busy, but I should have a few more spare minutes this month, to hopefully do some more mesh modelling (on the bridle) and painting.

And, of course, I've just been having way too much fun rendering...and all these new fun contests that people keep coming up with CERTAINLY don't help get work done, no matter how much fun they are.