Harry Goes to Arabia

Discussion in 'It's About the Art!' started by VortigensBane, Jan 8, 2016.

1. carmen indorato

carmen indorato Extraordinary

Nice!

2. carmen indorato

Nice, and being familiar with the reference image would hope this gets completed and made available.......someday!

3. carmen indorato

Rich! Love it!

4. carmen indorato

Lovely reference images but also great ideas for Poser stuff renders.
    It would be great to create and offer a complete set of items to use for all characters in this case horse and rider.
    Wish more ideas were so well supported.

5. carmen indorato

Oh!
    Real nice!

6. carmen indorato

Work is beautiful.
    Wish I could learn how to work with dynamic cloths. :(

7. VortigensBane

VortigensBane Busy Bee

Since I haven't updated here for positively ages, I decided to give it a go.

With the new dForce feature of Studio, I did a little practicing with my "Arabian" blanket, just to see if I could get it to work out. I had a few glitches, and even still there are some things to sort out, but I think there is a promising future for some of my extended projects reaching a release-able and useable state, within the next ten years...

dforce 001.jpg

This was just a quick test, so I haven't added the mane and tail, since dForce stuff collides with everything in the scene, and the mane might have gotten in the way. You can seee there is some distortion of the tassels, especially up on the shoulder, but at least this time the simulation ran without "exploding" like Poser's cloth room does sometimes.

CWRW, Rowan54, Chris and 8 others like this.
  8. Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dakorillon (IMArts) Extraordinary Contributing Artist

Very nice! Maybe you can designate those tassels as "static", as if they were "stiff" objects, like a button? Then they might not explode?

Carey likes this.
  9. RAMWolff

RAMWolff Wolff Playing with Beez! Contributing Artist

That really looks awesome. Yes, the natural movement of the tassels are just very natural looking!

Carey likes this.
  10. Pendraia

Pendraia Seasoned Contributing Artist

Looks great!

11. VortigensBane

VortigensBane Busy Bee

Still working on it a bit, I've been managing to even crash Studio a few times. The whole dForce stuff takes a bit to figure out, but if the tassel heads would react like buttons, that would solve all my problems. The part I am still working out is how to get them to stay stiff, without making them so rigid that they don't sway with the rest of the tassel strands. It's a bit more of an incentive to keep hammering away at it, now that there is a way to release it as a Studio compatible product that doesn't need any sort of add-on. Poser would be a bit easier, but I don't do Poser materials well. The Cloth Room is easy.

12. Pendraia

Pendraia Seasoned Contributing Artist

I've managed to crash DS using dforce and I've only tried once or twice...

13. Chris

Chris HW3D President Staff Member Co-Founder

Wow, wow, wow!! This is amazing. So very impressed with your talent. 10 years or not, still very cool.

14. VortigensBane

VortigensBane Busy Bee

Coming from the "Master," that means a lot. Thanks, Chris!

Chris likes this.
  15. Rae134

Rae134 Distinguished CV-BEE Contributing Artist

I think the easiest way to have the head of the tassels stiff would be if they were a different mat zone to the rest of the tassel, you would need the string of the tassel still movable so they swing (same with the tassels themselves) so would need to be separate material zones unless you wanted to go and weight-map all of them by hand :)

Dakorillon (IMArts) likes this.
  16. VortigensBane

VortigensBane Busy Bee

Each tassel is divided into LOTS of material zones. There is the "suspension" cord, then the head of the tassel, then the "gathered" part of the tassel, then the tassel strands themselves. This holds for each level of tassel on the string. Since it was originally modelled with the Cloth Room in mind, I wanted to have the rigid, soft-decorated, constrained, etc., groups all easy to adjust. I think there are over 30 material zones all together.

Dakorillon (IMArts) and Rae134 like this.
  17. Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dakorillon (IMArts) Extraordinary Contributing Artist

Hello! Poking you for a yearly update! You've been doing amazing work with LAMH, by the way.

Carey likes this.
  18. Rae134

Did you get the dForce figured out?

19. VortigensBane

VortigensBane Busy Bee

Thanks for the "poke." Gives me a good reason to give it another shot. It was a really busy year at "real" work, so not much time for hobbying; I think I managed a total of five renders last year. I haven't even have time to build my new "super" rendering computer that I bought in pieces!

I did purchase some dForce clothing items which I will hopefully be able to reverse-engineer in order to get the tassels right, but from the things I have seen so far, I might have to alter the geometry a bit, and have the individual tassels parented to a "rigid follow" node, as the necklace pendant is for the pendants on several of the dForce items I have. So far, the tricky part is not getting just one tassel to behave, it is getting three tassels in a row to behave! Either the heads don't budge, or they collapse.

Dakorillon (IMArts) and Rae134 like this.
  20. Rae134

I'm by no means an expert but I have gotten a few things to dForce that others haven't so if you want me to take a look at it, I'd be happy to :)