• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED SkinEdit Python Script for Poser 12

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have just found the thread at Rendo, and I have replied there as I did here. I was going to create the product thread at Rendo, but I was still working on the product and didn't have the time yet. I am super frustrated that Rendo has ruined my product release like this. I have been working so hard on it, and now this. I have contacted Jenn Blake and Andy Donnena yesterday about this, saying it was an EMERGENCY, but no reply so far. This could had been avoided if I could have a quicker feedback, or if people would READ what we request before jumping the gun, but I guess people went for the weekend. Andy already told me last week that any messages sent out of business hours will be ignored.

Looks interesting so far, but I disagree about those last two images, the original skin looks much better IMO. Also, one of my pet peeves: Lips aren't naturally glossy, that requires makeup :cool:

Don't worry about the blue tint - that is just one thing we can do for those who want it. The default settings actually add a little red, but some people told me they prefer blue, and here I was showing how to do this AFTER applying the defaults. Some people like red, some blue, and we can use either one, but the default is red.

The 1-click "Apply All" button uses the default settings, and we can edit them afterwards. That's the workflow I show in the demo videos. The skin sheen is one of these things we need to adjust, because it depends a lot on the texture map plugged to it. If the map is dark, we have to increase the sheen value, and if it's light, we have to reduce it. The default specular is rather low to avoid "plastic shiny people", but it's just a number we change in the parameters.

In some cases, the specular map is so dark that it doesn't even make sense to me. In that case, the skin will look dry no matter what we do, and it's best to use another map in that channel. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I can understand you being grumpy, I was a little annoyed as I was looking forward to playing with the script over the weekend. I know it is not an major issue but to have expectations raised only to have them dashed is always a bit of a downer.

And down the drain goes the perfect release I was planning for... T___T

I think my bigger concern is how many more customers will fall into the trap before it is corrected.

Me too. Jenn and Andy haven't replied to my emails since yesterday. What I am supposed to do? I am still working on the internal beta...

I am not looking to apportion blame but I am a little surprised that this can happen you would expect any product to at least have a zip linked to it before it can be placed in the Marketplace.

Same here - how could it be sent to the store without QAV and without a ZIP file? Shouldn't the system block it from happening? Apparently not.

Last edited:

Rhia474

Right. To be perfectly clear, I don't need to get it *fixed* over the weekend. I would expect someone to *communicate* about fixing it asap, so others don't end up pre-buying it who may be less forgiving about it.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Right. To be perfectly clear, I don't need to get it *fixed* over the weekend. I would expect someone to *communicate* about fixing it asap, so others don't end up pre-buying it who may be less forgiving about it.

I totally agree. I have already contacted Rendo yesterday asking for help on this, saying this is an emergency - no reply so far.

DanaTA

Distinguished
And down the drain goes my the perfect release I was planning for... T___T

Me too. Jenn and Andy haven't replied to my emails since yesterday. What I am supposed to do? I am still working on the internal beta...

Same here - how could it be sent to the store without QAV and without a ZIP file? Shouldn't the system block it from happening? Apparently not.
That doesn't seem good practice to me. Nothing gets released on my site until it has been tested and approved, except when it was already in another store. Then, if a customer finds an issue, it is taken down and needs to go throught testing once the problem is fixed, to be sure it's fixed and to be sure the fix didn't break something else.

Dana

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
That doesn't seem good practice to me. Nothing gets released on my site until it has been tested and approved, except when it was already in another store. Then, if a customer finds an issue, it is taken down and needs to go throught testing once the problem is fixed, to be sure it's fixed and to be sure the fix didn't break something else.

Dana

Agreed. What I think has happened here was that I asked a parameter on the product page to be changed, and they understood I wanted the product to be released. All this because they didn't read my request to the end, but just the beginning of the line. At the end of the line, I stated there was no ZIP on the product because it's not finished (still pending ZIP upload).

There are parts of the product page that only Rendo can change, so I have to ask them every time. There were a few times in the beginning where I didn't know I had to ask, and they didn't changed it because I didn't ask, and the products went to the store with the wrong settings. This time I have asked them in advance, but it has backfired because they have misunderstood the request (didn't read it to the end).

As it comes out, the product (with no ZIP) was assigned to a QAV tester, and released to the public at the same time - a double mess up. Now I cannot submit the ZIP to QAV because it will be sent straight to the store - which makes this a triple mess up. Still no replies from Rendo. I suppose the fact that this has fallen over the weekend doesn't help.

Today I have been testing SkinEdit with toon figures like AnimeDoll and AikoToon, where neither have skin textures, and AnimeDoll doesn't even have eyes or teeth - those are external parented props. Nonetheless, it still works, and I was a bit surprised. The tool cannot affect external props, since they are not part of the figure MAT zones, but that's understandable.

For the optional features, like nail polish, I have been testing the different combinations this can be applied. There is a checkbox to apply this globally with the 1-click Apply All, and there is also the specific section dedicated to nails. When we disable defaults, and play with the optional nail polish checkbox, it appears to have no effect, because without a default color, it won't have a different color to change to when we toggle this option. When Defaults is disabled, we are supposed to edit nail-specific settings on the nails section, and I hope people will understand that. I might need to update the manual to make that clear. ^^

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I don't see SkinEdit in your store. So perhaps it has been addressed.

It has. I have just been notified that it has been removed from the store. My testers have claimed it's good to go, but I still wanted a few more tweaking, and now I have a version I am happy with. I have uploaded the ZIP to the store, and the QAV process has started. Shouldn't be long now! ^___^

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have just recorded a brand new video presenting the final SkinEdit P12 store version, showing the new features, the general workflow, and how to create custom profiles to add support for other figures. The video will also show at the product page promos when released (again). Check it out while you wait for the Rendo QAV to do their thing. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
I have just recorded a brand new video presenting the final SkinEdit P12 store version, showing the new features, the general workflow, and how to create custom profiles to add support for other figures. The video will also show at the product page promos when released (again). Check it out while you wait for the Rendo QAV to do their thing. :)

Thanks for the new video I am looking forward to it being available. At least there was no such problems with the Scripts Manager which I loaded via the purchases method and all is working fine.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the new video I am looking forward to it being available. At least there was no such problems with the Scripts Manager which I loaded via the purchases method and all is working fine.

I am using the Scripts Manager in the demo video, where SkinEdit P12 is the first multi-script I have released, and the Script Manager could handle it just nicely. More logical and organized than the Poser Scripts menu. It will also come handy when I release Python script updates that require removing the previous version first. Scripts Manager can uninstall scripts with 1-click, and we don't even need to know where they were installed. ^___^

Hornet3d

Wise
Just tried my character that with SkinEdit with the defaults applied and this is the result and with no extra nodes and no dotted lines between nodes in materials.

SkinEdit HW.jpg

Last edited:

Rhia474

Would love to use it but Rendo for some reason wants me to validate my install by asking for my login. And it doesn't accept my valid login, even after resetting. So: then they will allow me access to the product I paid for, I'll let you know how I like it.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Would love to use it but Rendo for some reason wants me to validate my install by asking for my login. And it doesn't accept my valid login, even after resetting. So: then they will allow me access to the product I paid for, I'll let you know how I like it.

One of the reasons we have lost basically ALL Python devs for Poser was due to piracy. Poser Python veteran Phil Cook (PhilC) claimed "1 person buys it, and then everybody else download it". The new purchase verification was an attempt to revive this entire section of the market that was abandoned due to piracy, so people need to support them on this to make it viable again.

The store login should be the same you use in the Rendo store, or in the Poser library embedded store. If you have mistyped it, just restart Poser and try again. I am not sure, since this is all new to me too, but I believe if you are already logged in into the Poser embedded store, it won't ask you to login again from the script. Give it a try. :)

Rhia474

Um no, it's not that. It simply doesn't let me to log in from within Poser to the store at all. I reset the password. I restarted Poser. It simply presents the window over and over again, like a demented grandpa who keeps handing you the glass you already drank the juice from. I am at my wit's end, and I posted on their forum a not too nice rant, I'm afraid. Of course, I don't expect an answer.

Again, I appreciate what you're doing and I'd love to use the script. I was looking forward to it this weekend. Seems like I hit another snag. Le sigh.

Willowisp

Adventurous
It requires purchase verification? Yikes, thanks for the warning, glad I have no plans on updating to P12. The 'always online' scheme is getting ridiculous..

(Note, this is not an attack on you personally Ken, just an observation from someone who prefers production systems to stay offline )

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Um no, it's not that. It simply doesn't let me to log in from within Poser to the store at all. I reset the password. I restarted Poser. It simply presents the window over and over again, like a demented grandpa who keeps handing you the glass you already drank the juice from. I am at my wit's end, and I posted on their forum a not too nice rant, I'm afraid. Of course, I don't expect an answer.

Again, I appreciate what you're doing and I'd love to use the script. I was looking forward to it this weekend. Seems like I hit another snag. Le sigh.

For the record, the product is not showing in the store yet, since it's still awaiting for QAV approval, so I don't know what's going on there. However, I have heard of cases where people had mistyped their login credentials and couldn't try anymore. Rendo said restarting Poser should resolve it, and it has worked so far. Since this has been introduced, I only had to login ONCE and it has never asked for it again,

It requires purchase verification? Yikes, thanks for the warning, glad I have no plans on updating to P12. The 'always online' scheme is getting ridiculous..

(Note, this is not an attack on you personally Ken, just an observation from someone who prefers production systems to stay offline )

We have to make a choice between purchase verification, or keeping the Python scripts market dead as it has been for years. The verification was Rendo's attempt to revive a dead market where every Python dev has left because piracy has basically put an end to it (as claimed by PhilC). I don't like the call home, but how else can we make this viable to devs like me? I am currently the only one left.

Hornet3d

Wise

So far I have installed six of the scripts using the purchases tab with no issues. Content other than scripts I have loaded using the "install From Zip Archive" process as I want to put each product into a specific runtime and again I have had no issue.

What I have discovered is that even if you are logged into your account via your browser when using the purchases facility it will always log in again and it can take a minute or so. I assume from this that the purchases log in is a separate process but once it has logged in successfully once it uses the same username and password each time you install something.

I can really understand Rhia474's frustration and, in the same position I would be more than a little annoyed. From my own experience though the purchase verification has been a transparent process as has the phone home and I say that as a Poser user who has never liked the deactivation feature. I certainly would not see either as being a reason not to buy or upgrade to Poser 12