• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED SkinEdit Python Script for Poser 12

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
~SkinEdit Python Script for Poser 12~

1621565456767.png

Most figures have lots of material zones, and it can be tiresome to manually edit them one-by-one. Victoria 4 has like 14 just for the skin, and DawnSE has 9 for that as well. This means that if we want to edit just the skin materials on V4, we have to do it at least 14 times, and on DawnSE, 9 times. It’s not difficult, but it’s definitely tedious.

SkinEdit P12 can help with that, by allowing editing supported figure materials in “batch” mode, meaning we edit ALL skin materials at once, instead of one at a time. Not only skin, but ALL figure materials in batch mode.

In addition, it automates converting old Firefly materials to modern Firefly - with 1-click! It removes the typical huge mess of shader nodes meant to simulate all the things Firefly cannot render, leaving only the texture maps. This produces much better results in Superfly PBR materials, and is also a better and easier to manage starting point.

Once the shader nodes are removed, the texture nodes are left plugged into the root node, but usually to the wrong channels required by Firefly. This won’t work with Superfly, so in a second stage, the tool reconnects the nodes to the proper channels that work better with Superfly, and then on a third stage, it applies my default values. During the second stage, if the original materials did not include shaders for the specular and bump channels, the tool will create them automatically, plug them into the proper channels, and on the last stage, set the default values. This all happens in 1-click with the “Apply All” button. But you can also do it in stages if you prefer.

Promo_000_1000x1200_SkinEdit.jpg

Here is an example of fixing ALL of the original DawnSE materials with 1-click. If the figure is female, and we check the options to add lipstick and nail polish, that is added to the shaders automatically.

Promo_01_600x800_SkinEdit.jpg

In this next example, we change the skin tone on the entire figure with 1-click by editing the diffuse color.

Promo_02_600x800_SkinEdit.jpg

In the example below, I am removing the shader nodes, leaving only the texture maps with 1-click. This can be used with ANY figure, even the ones not supported by the current profile. This can be useful in a number of situations, and it's part of the global 1-click process, but we can use it separately as shown below.

Promo_03_600x800_SkinEdit.jpg

Once the shader nodes have been cleaned up on the entire figure, we can apply individual presets to 5 major material groups: Skin, Eyes, Nails, Inner Mouth, and Eyelashes. Basically every figure has these MAT zones, and the tool applies them globally based on profiles for each supported figure, affecting all MAT zones related to each of these 5 material groups. This process rewires the shaders to the proper channels and inputs, so they work well with Superfly.

In the example below, we start from after having removed all the shader nodes, and apply the tool's default settings for the skin only. Note how the nodes were rewired to render properly in Superfly. If no maps are provided for specular and/or bump, this process will automatically create them.

Promo_04_600x800_SkinEdit.jpg

But what about editing materials for figures the tool doesn't support? I am including a profile maker/editor so people can create their own figure profiles for SkinEdit, adding support for other figures. It includes its own PDF manual where I explain how a figure profile is created, but mind you, this requires a deeper understanding of how figure MAT zones are designed for each figure. In other words, it is possible to create invalid profiles that may crash SkinEdit if done incorrectly - and I cannot be held responsible if that happens. I provide the profile maker/editor, but people can use it at their own risk. I do my best to explain the process in the PDF manual, but it is a known fact that many will not read it.

Promo_05_600x800_SkinEdit.jpg

As a matter of fact, I am NOT sure if I should include the editor or not. Creating figure profiles is not difficult, but it is also not trivial. If we forget to associate a MAT zone, or make incorrect associations, chances are that will crash SkinEdit because the profile data is invalid. Customers may become mad or frustrated if they cannot create a valid figure profile, and that might blow back on me as a vendor.

When we launch the profile maker\editor, it displays a disclaimer stating that I cannot be held responsible if incorrectly created profiles crash SkinEdit because the data is invalid.

1621570641689.png

However, that may or may not prevent people from giving me bad product reviews. I am open to suggestions.

Last edited:

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Wow!

And on the issue of including the maker/editor, I'd do so. You can't please everyone Ken, and there are a lot of people who will find the editor useful that the risk is worth it. Just make sure it's well documented, such as the disclaimer and in the pdf and in the readme, and after that. Well... you can't help it if people don't read. (Something I'm guilty of but I don't blame the creator when I can't get something to work as advertised.)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Wow!

And on the issue of including the maker/editor, I'd do so. You can't please everyone Ken, and there are a lot of people who will find the editor useful that the risk is worth it. Just make sure it's well documented, such as the disclaimer and in the pdf and in the readme, and after that. Well... you can't help it if people don't read. (Something I'm guilty of but I don't blame the creator when I can't get something to work as advertised.)

Thank you for the feedback, Sunfire. I have updated the main text above and showed what the disclaimer looks like. It is displayed EVERY TIME we launch the maker/editor tool, so if people run it a year from now, they will be reminded of the terms of usage in case they forgot it. Both SkinEdit and the Maker\Editor have their own PDF manuals that can be opened at any time by clicking the "?" button at the bottom right. I did my best to explain the process, but people will still need to have at least some understanding on how figure MAT zones work, and what each zone is supposed to look like to assign them to the proper MAT groups and Special groups.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I apologize for Renderosity's mistake today, where I asked them to adjust some settings on the product page, and they ended up sending it straight to the store with an unfinished page and no ZIP file - it's not finished and was not supposed to be released. I apologize even MORE to customers who have purchased it so far, since there is no ZIP file in there - I haven't even finished internal beta yet. Somebody has messed up BIG TIME at Rendo for not reading my request. And to think that I was just mentioning above that people DON'T READ what we write these days!

Squashed a couple of bugs today, where bump map was being applied in the wrong order and values were being lost. Also fixed issue where correcting old school gradient bump was not checking the gradient mode.

Testing is looking good. This is Aiko4 with Firefly materials one the left, and then on the right with the 1-click "Apply All" rendered in Superfly. This button does a zillion things, where one of them is fixing the ancient gradient bump that no longer exists in Poser, but that is present in old Firefly materials most of us have. I remember I used to have a script just to fix gradient bump, and now SkinEdit takes care of it automatically.

A4_1-Click.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Although SkinEdit was originally meant for helping with old Firefly materials, LaFemme already comes with Superfly materials, but they appear too complex and slow to render. Also, a problem I often find in Poser textures is too much red. After applying the 1-click "Apply All", I have added a blue tint to the diffuse color to cut down the redness. You can see the result on the right side, which I believe is more natural. Since I have reduced the shader complexity to textures only, it also renders much faster, and I believe the eyes now look better.

That's what I could do with 2 clicks in SkinEdit.

Promo_07_600x800_SkinEdit.jpg

Last edited:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
One more test, now with G3F doing the same I did with LF. The 1-click material conversion + blue tint on the skin to cut down on the red. By default, SkinEdit eye materials builder will use REAL reflections. The original G3F eyes used fake reflections. I didn't use HDRI, so all we see are the scene lights reflecting on the eyes. Not bad for 2 clicks editing. :)

Promo_08_600x800_SkinEdit.jpg

Willowisp

Adventurous
Looks interesting so far, but I disagree about those last two images, the original skin looks much better IMO. Also, one of my pet peeves: Lips aren't naturally glossy, that requires makeup :cool:

Hornet3d

Wise
I apologize for Renderosity's mistake today, where I asked them to adjust some settings on the product page, and they ended up sending it straight to the store with an unfinished page and no ZIP file - it's not finished and was not supposed to be released. I apologize even MORE to customers who have purchased it so far, since there is no ZIP file in there - I haven't even finished internal beta yet. Somebody has messed up BIG TIME at Rendo for not reading my request. And to think that I was just mentioning above that people DON'T READ what we write these days!

Squashed a couple of bugs today, where bump map was being applied in the wrong order and values were being lost. Also fixed issue where correcting old school gradient bump was not checking the gradient mode.

Testing is looking good. This is Aiko4 with Firefly materials one the left, and then on the right with the 1-click "Apply All" rendered in Superfly. This button does a zillion things, where one of them is fixing the ancient gradient bump that no longer exists in Poser, but that is present in old Firefly materials most of us have. I remember I used to have a script just to fix gradient bump, and now SkinEdit takes care of it automatically.

Sadly I purchased the script before reading this, as you say there is no zip and if you try and download via purchases it just states that the Product Download limit has been reached.

Not complaining as I know it is not your fault but I hope they fix it soon because I think it will be a popular script and many buying it may not be Hiwevire3D members and will therefore not see this thread.

Hornet3d

Wise
I should add that I went to add a thread to relating to this at on the Marketplace Customer Support Forum but someone had already done so I just added my comment and my experiences to that thread. I am not sure that will stop people buy it while in this precarious state but at least they will know it is not an issue with their account or computer.

Bwldrd

Admirable
Yep, I would be one of those people, and the one who posted the thread at renderosity. NP's Ken, and as I said there, at least when it is finally ready.. we already own it. :)

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I just have it in the cart. I'll hold off getting it for now then! I do agree with Willowisp. The skin looks better in it's original shade color and MOST moisturized skin will have a little bit of a sheen to it. The example top most looks a bit dry and lifeless to ME. Even my 60 year old skin has good amounts of reddish value and has a fine sheen over it when light hit's it. Hopefully the feedback is useful!

Rhia474

Well, I should have read this forum first. *shakes her head* That mistake just cost me twenty. No, I don't want a refund, but I want them to honor my purchase when the product is released. Le sigh. At this speed, I'm not sure I can. Not blaming you even a little bit, but a note on the page sure would be nice. I can't imagine how many ppl are in this boat right now.

I happen to agree with all the comments above regarding the LF skins--that sheen is fine, and that blue tint is really not to my liking along with the flatness--most skin has moisture to it unless you've been out in Arizona summer in July.

I'm a bit grumpier than usual today, so forgive any unintentional nasty tones; I imagine you're quite frustrated atm.

Hornet3d

Wise
Well, I should have read this forum first. *shakes her head* That mistake just cost me twenty. No, I don't want a refund, but I want them to honor my purchase when the product is released. Le sigh. At this speed, I'm not sure I can. Not blaming you even a little bit, but a note on the page sure would be nice. I can't imagine how many ppl are in this boat right now.

I happen to agree with all the comments above regarding the LF skins--that sheen is fine, and that blue tint is really not to my liking along with the flatness--most skin has moisture to it unless you've been out in Arizona summer in July.

I'm a bit grumpier than usual today, so forgive any unintentional nasty tones; I imagine you're quite frustrated atm.

I can understand you being grumpy, I was a little annoyed as I was looking forward to playing with the script over the weekend. I know it is not an major issue but to have expectations raised only to have them dashed is always a bit of a downer. I think my bigger concern is how many more customers will fall into the trap before it is corrected.

I am not looking to apportion blame but I am a little surprised that this can happen you would expect any product to at least have a zip linked to it before it can be placed in the Marketplace.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yea, not sure why Jenn or Andy haven't pulled it from the store as of yet!

Willowisp

Adventurous
It's the weekend, is there a bank holiday on monday in the US, or is that just some other countries? In which case, they probably have the weekend off

Rhia474

Next Monday, yes. I'm sorry, if you run a site that is open 24/7, you need to have a weekend skeleton crew to check for any snafus for *at least* posting and indicating 'yup, sorry, we're on it'. Where I work, the building is open 24/7, there is a skeleton crew on guard even on the weekends because there *may* be people coming in. There *are* people buying stuff on websites on the weekends.

Willowisp

Adventurous
Oh I agree, it's just that I have the impression Rendo staff don't always work weekends, there have at least been cases of weekends with no staff on in the past