• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED SkinEdit Python Script for Poser 12

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
And now it works, because apparently the login on the Purchases tab doesn't need the full email address like on the website. It only needs the before the @ part. I had no idea.

I had no idea either. I know the login box shows in my scripts, but this part is actually managed by Rendo. I will talk to the devs and suggest adding the info to the dialog, so people don't have to guess.

Thanks for letting me know - this info may help later on if other people have the same issue. :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
For me my primary program is Daz Studio and I think it's unlikely I would ever convert only to Poser.

I perfectly understand, since it's exactly the opposite to me. I only use DS for store product support - all my personal work is done in Poser. Like you, I also find it unlikely that I would ever convert to DS. We should use the program that fits our purpose. :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
And now it works, because apparently the login on the Purchases tab doesn't need the full email address like on the website. It only needs the before the @ part. I had no idea.
OK, now my question is . . . what about those of us who manually install everything, and don't use the Purchases tab. I'm always online, but not always at Renderosity, so I'm wondering . . . do I have to be online at their store/forum to use any of Ken's scripts for P12?

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Nope, I don't believe you do, just install from zip, and it should be fine. I use my scripts without being online on Rendo all the time.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I have always logged into Rendo using my username, never my email address.

The reason that the Scatter Tool asked for your password again, was because you changed it.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Totally agree Ken!

Does Poser 12 have a purchase tab now? Is it similar to the smart content in Daz where it installs as you need things?

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It shows your purchases and you can install them from there, they'll be in a folder called purchases or purchased. It doesn't make suggestions as to what you can get to go with something.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Totally agree Ken!

Does Poser 12 have a purchase tab now? Is it similar to the smart content in Daz where it installs as you need things?

Poser 7 already had an embedded Content Paradise store from eFrontier before, so this is not particularly new. Rendo has added an embedded store to the Poser library, but of course, now it's Renderosity. I believe smart content is a different thing, more akin to a database of what you have installed, and what items are related to it. I don't think Poser has something like that. The new embedded store doesn't allow purchasing anything AFAIK, it's just for downloading and installing what you have already purchased. I find that rather convenient. I think DAZ content manager does the same.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I could create a more generic materials editor, but Dimension3D already made one, and if Rendo will release it for P12, I have no reason to reinvent the wheel. Rendo will also re-release some of Netherworks scripts for P12, so I am steering clear of those for the time being, at least until I know what is going to happen in this regard. For now, I'd rather cover the ground they didn't. :)
Your UI's are easier on the eyes to be fair. Netherworks was another that really put allot into making sure the UI had allot of options to make it more eyeball friendly for those of us that have issues with bright white backgrounds and thin black fonts.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Totally agree Ken!

Yes it does. You can install everything from scripts to figures to accessories with it. It's very handy!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Your UI's are easier on the eyes to be fair. Netherworks was another that really put allot into making sure the UI had allot of options to make it more eyeball friendly for those of us that have issues with bright white backgrounds and thin black fonts.

I believe Netherworks made his interfaces using a completely different method based more on bitmaps than actual widgets. That's more work, but it makes for some quite unique interfaces. It appears that Joe had a direct open channel with the Poser devs from SMS, who have provided him with privileged information the rest of us still have no access to. It took me months just to get a basic panel to work with Poser, due to the sheer lack of information and documentation covering wxPython. I had to find out things the hard way by trial and error, and I am still not convinced this is the proper way.

I think there is more to this, but the info is still not accessible to us. It was never properly documented. Netherworks and Shaderworks knew a lot more, and whatever they knew, they took it with them. The bottom line is that my interfaces may look basic comparing to Joe's, but people have no idea how long it took me just to get that much working in Poser. I have spent the entire 1st month just crashing Poser while just trying to open a single empty panel! LOL

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yes, complete documentation should be put out to content creators like yourself that are looking to improve Poser 12 in ways that folks like me can only dream about. Not cool for them to make you suffer so. Have you talked to Jenn about documentation for Python 3? She must have at least LEADS to the information you seek!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yes, complete documentation should be put out to content creators like yourself that are looking to improve Poser 12 in ways that folks like me can only dream about. Not cool for them to make you suffer so. Have you talked to Jenn about documentation for Python 3? She must have at least LEADS to the information you seek!

I believe it was SMS who had introduced wxPython into Poser, and I am not sure if the current dev team knows anything about it. Jenn definitely doesn't. In a way, they don't want to get involved, since wxPython is a 3rd party library - they didn't make it. I have already identified a number of bugs on it, but Rendo claims this is not their baby, and they will not fix it.

Of course, wxPython has its own website, but the official documentation is useless because that's not how things have to be done to work in Poser in particular. We have to use it in a way it wasn't designed to work, so all the code examples are useless - they will just crash Poser - I have learned that the hard way. So you see, the problem is not even with Python itself, but with a 3rd party library called wxPython that is used to create the graphical interfaces you see in my scripts.

Ironically, Python can run in both Windows and Macs, but wxPython needs to be written differently to work on each, so it's a problem there as well. The official wxPython at their own website is also pretty much a work in progress that has never progressed. They left a lot blank, the years have passed. and it's still blank. On the Poser side, basically there is no wxPython documentation at all. For the main graphical interface manager part, the manual has a single paragraph that just claims it exists. It could even be funny if it weren't so tragic.

Hornet3d

Wise

Well that is something I did not know and useful to keep in mind for the future. I am really pleased you managed to get it sorted though.

Hornet3d

Wise
I perfectly understand, since it's exactly the opposite to me. I only use DS for store product support - all my personal work is done in Poser. Like you, I also find it unlikely that I would ever convert to DS. We should use the program that fits our purpose. :)

I can understand that as well. I did try DS on my machine when it was new a few years ago but I could never get it to run, there was clearly something on my machine it did not like. I then decided that I wanted to use what free time I had to learn about the changes in Poser.

Horses for courses really, you use the software you are comfortable with and it is really only a different route to very similar ends in most cases.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
When people ask me which is better - Poser or DS, I tell them whichever they are more comfortable with is the best for THEM. Some folks only care for whichever is cheaper, which makes the choice easier in this case. Different people like different things, which is a GOOD thing. Can you imagine if all men liked the same woman? LOL

Rhia474

OK, now my question is . . . what about those of us who manually install everything, and don't use the Purchases tab. I'm always online, but not always at Renderosity, so I'm wondering . . . do I have to be online at their store/forum to use any of Ken's scripts for P12?
They didn't work for me at all until I logged in to the Purchases tab, despite being logged into Rendo in my browser AND installed via the Install from Zip menu, NOT the Purchases tab. Now they work seamlessly. Hopefully I can produce some renders this week.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
WOW Ken, that's really messed up. Why would the creators of Python 3 NOT make proper code for UI's that THEY support? This 3rd party BS is just horrible for you. I'm so sorry. What a mess! o_O