• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

quietrob

Extraordinary
When I hit "render", that is pretty much saying that I won't be able to use the computer for at least 8 hours... Two days is pretty standard for an image, but three and a half was quite depresing!
I try to save renders that big for when I shut things down and go to bed. Even then when I wake and check things out, I hate seeing that I'm only halfway done. I breathe a little easier when the hair is rendered. Unless I'm doing heavy reflections that take the most time.

I hope evertyone had a happy new year!

Hornet3d

Wise
I love the render but like so many I know I could not wait days for a result. I do have some renders that last a few hours but it does run in background and so I can continue to use the computer. If the render is not a good way through after and hour or so I take a good look at the scene, render settings and materials to see if it can be shortened. That said I don't think any of my renders are as complex as the Queen in chains so I guess you get what you are prepared to wait for.

Hornet3d

Wise
A final combination in my look back ten years.

Trends 3.jpg

Not sure exactly what I would do differently today but I would certainly attempt to light the tavern scene via some more realistic candles and for the flying entrance I would probably twist and modify the pose and add a definite night atmosphere. At the time I didn't know any better and I have only discovered realistic candles in the last few years, likewise with lighting characteristics such as inverse linear and inverse square. Another decided change is I do a lot more post work rather than just accept the render that Poser provides.

For comparison, this is another tavern scene I generated some two years later.

Trends 4.jpg

Portrait wise I also concentrate on real reflections in the eyes rather than a baked in highlight. Thanks to some excellent tutorials from Bagginsbill in the Rendo threads some years ago, all my characters are set up for real reflections in the eyes. They are not obvious in all renders as, if it uses studio type lighting, there is just a highlight but it is at least reflected in the right place. More obvious is when the lighting is provided by a nearby window or strip lighting where the highlight takes on the square, rectangular or strip shape of the light source.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I'm sure I've mentioned the illustration back in the bad old days with DS3 that took me 10.5 24-hour days to produce.

There were Christmas trees. Transmapped Christmas trees. Five of them. And let us all remember that Studio 3 only ran in 32-bit on a Mac.
I made a false start trying to render the whole scene. After something like an hour and seeing that it flatly stalled on the trees, I bailed and built it in Photoshop from components. The mostly empty room in the background took something like 40 minutes. The people at the table, in the foreground (complete with a holly garland) took a couple of hours. The trees rendered individually took anything from something like 3.5 hours to 4.5 days. At that, I suspect that if I had tried to render it all in one go, I'd have lost it to a power blink or something.

I've sometimes wondered how long it would take to get it done in Studio 4+ with Genesis figures (between the trees and 3 gen4 figures I was close to the limit of what my copy of Studio could handle). But I'm not abut to put myself through that again, even though I know that I'd do it a lot better these days
Breakfast.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That's a nice render JOdel. I'm not sure your version of DS would make that much of a difference. I think your computer's power would be the deciding factor. If you have a better, more powerful, computer now then when you did that render, it would've been better.

I, personally, probably would do multi-pass rendering with a scene like that, and then composite it in postwork.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Well, multi-pass is pretty much how I did it. It was compiled in Photoshop. I suspect the trees would still take a ginormous mount of time to render even now. They may be low-poly (or lowish) but the transmaps don't help. Plus, at that point I had discovered how to turn things off, but not how to actually get rid of invisible polys. so there are five invisible iterations of the old Redhouse Christmas tree in the scene as well, with only the baubles and the tree skirts visible. (I gave up on the tinsel garlands.)

Of course the real advantage of DS4 is that it will run in 64-bit mode. So being able to access ALL of the potential memory would make a LOT of difference. I'm pretty sure that this was done on my 2011 iMac, although it may have been produced on the one from 2009. I am kinda-sorta remembering wondering whether the marathon renders might have contributed to that computer's hard drive having failed prematurely.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Also the genesis figures are less hard on the system. It's easier to put more people in a render using them. I would imagine the Hivewire figures would also be easier on the system as they are based on the genesis system in DS.

Hornet3d

Wise
Well, multi-pass is pretty much how I did it. It was compiled in Photoshop. I suspect the trees would still take a ginormous mount of time to render even now. They may be low-poly (or lowish) but the transmaps don't help. Plus, at that point I had discovered how to turn things off, but not how to actually get rid of invisible polys. so there are five invisible iterations of the old Redhouse Christmas tree in the scene as well, with only the baubles and the tree skirts visible. (I gave up on the tinsel garlands.)

Of course the real advantage of DS4 is that it will run in 64-bit mode. So being able to access ALL of the potential memory would make a LOT of difference. I'm pretty sure that this was done on my 2011 iMac, although it may have been produced on the one from 2009. I am kinda-sorta remembering wondering whether the marathon renders might have contributed to that computer's hard drive having failed prematurely.

I am not sure about DS but I have found that trees seem cripple Poser, even these days, and for that reason I move to Vue when I want to do a scene with lots of vegetation. The ability to let Vue deal with the plants and have Poser deal with the figures and the materials is real plus for me.

Hornet3d

Wise
To say she was scared would be an understatement, first they find the outer marker in thousands of pieces floating in space and now a fully intact 'C' craft with no one aboard just drifting in space. The ship appeared to be under emergency power otherwise there appeared to be nothing out of place, no sign of a struggle, in fact her arm tracker showed no sign of anyone or anything.

Totally Alone.jpg

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yeah. I never was able to get more than 5 gen4 figures into a scene. Usually had to drop down to 4. Of course that was running in 32-bit, so YMMV.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I am not sure about DS but I have found that trees seem cripple Poser, even these days, and for that reason I move to Vue when I want to do a scene with lots of vegetation. The ability to let Vue deal with the plants and have Poser deal with the figures and the materials is real plus for me.

How does Vue do with the Poser Import Option? I have landscapes that crush Poser 9 into dust. I have to switch to wireframe just to move the screen. I like landscapes but ya, my patience can only go so far. It would be nice to put my PZ3 into a background so I can really render a cityscape or a field of wheat. I've upgraded but I'm still skeptical of whether Poser can handle things until I win the lotto and go completely solid state.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I suspect the trees would still take a ginormous mount of time to render even now. They may be low-poly (or lowish) but the transmaps don't help.
Yes, I would suspect rendering them is like rendering hair in a close-up . . . very, very, slooooow.

Hornet3d

Wise
How does Vue do with the Poser Import Option? I have landscapes that crush Poser 9 into dust. I have to switch to wireframe just to move the screen. I like landscapes but ya, my patience can only go so far. It would be nice to put my PZ3 into a background so I can really render a cityscape or a field of wheat. I've upgraded but I'm still skeptical of whether Poser can handle things until I win the lotto and go completely solid state.

The way I do it is to set the figures in Poser and then the scene in Vue. Import the figures into Vue and use the appropriate option such as animation, single frame and the like. One of the options is render using Poser Shader Tree, there is also the option allow re-posing of the figures within Vue which I generally don't use. You will then get a warning that these options require handling by Poser inside Vue and this will take more than twice the normal memory requirements. I have 32G on my system but I have yet to use half of that, but I guess it depends on how complex your scene is. I never use Poser lights only Vue lighting and while this can affect the Poser shaders it has never been an issue for me.

These two renders took around the two hour mark but were originally rendered A3 size at 600dpi.

Vue example.jpg

Vue example 2.jpg

quietrob

Extraordinary
That's quite amazing. My preview and test renders are done at 72 DPI. My end Renders are done at 300 dpi. I never thought to try any higher because of the demands on my system. The vegetation, water and rock in the second render is rather impressive.

Hornet3d

Wise
That's quite amazing. My preview and test renders are done at 72 DPI. My end Renders are done at 300 dpi. I never thought to try any higher because of the demands on my system. The vegetation, water and rock in the second render is rather impressive.

The scene contents in the second render are from content available from the Vue site. Just as in my description, all I have done in added the figures and I think I also added one or two Vue lights. I included the first render as you mentioned using a cityscape, I tend to use Poser for that so I have few city/town/village renders. I mainly use Vue for landscapes as the vegetation is much better and faster than anything I have found for Poser - not complaining, just horses for courses.

The reason for the large render sizes were due to the fact that the aim was to use the best ones in a A4 photo-book and, as I was trying a fold flat book, the larger size allowed a few panoramic, two pages spreads.

quietrob

Extraordinary
No matter how old I get I still like playing with trains.

View attachment 13581

I don't know if you're from the USA but this feels like a slice of Americana. It's no accident that the most revered of american painters, Norman Rockwell, painted America. This scene though more complex in its construction is simple and wonderful. I wonder how many people today have ever ridden a train?

Hornet3d

Wise
I don't know if you're from the USA but this feels like a slice of Americana. It's no accident that the most revered of american painters, Norman Rockwell, painted America. This scene though more complex in its construction is simple and wonderful. I wonder how many people today have ever ridden a train?

I am based in the UK and Dunster Station is about a hours drive from me, it is part of a preserved line and I have travelled the length of the line numerous times over the years. The model here is by DryJack who has a number of great railway products in his store. Dunster is my favorite as I have first hand knowledge so I know it is not only very accurate he has captured the essence of the station as well.