• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Hornet3d

Wise
Awesome render @Hornet3d

1001 uses for a hammer ---

Rendered in Carrara

Thanks

I think I would want more than a hammer.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have to say. That's one mess outside their ship.

As with so many of my renders I cannot take credit for many aspects and the mess is a creation from coflek-gnorg called Space Debris. I don't really regard myself as an artist, more a 3d picture chef using a lot of ingredients from many sources to make a picture. The most I ever do is tweak the ingredients slightly or mix them in a way, hopefully, to make it a little different to the norm and somewhat personal.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
As with so many of my renders I cannot take credit for many aspects and the mess is a creation from coflek-gnorg called Space Debris. I don't really regard myself as an artist, more a 3d picture chef using a lot of ingredients from many sources to make a picture. The most I ever do is tweak the ingredients slightly or mix them in a way, hopefully, to make it a little different to the norm and somewhat personal.

Well, I'm not going to force you to call yourself an artist :p but I would point out that in a day an age where everyone has a camera and can snap a thousand photographs, the artists are the ones who find the right moment, with the right framing and understand the composition. I think the story telling you do is great, and my favorite art tells a story, even if by challenging me to fill in the details of what happened.

That said, you may not have made that 'space mess' but you used it well. And I like that we don't see their faces, it lets us imagine their emotional response. And the fact that her body is turned slightly away from him, but towards the disaster.

Hornet3d

Wise
Well, I'm not going to force you to call yourself an artist :p but I would point out that in a day an age where everyone has a camera and can snap a thousand photographs, the artists are the ones who find the right moment, with the right framing and understand the composition. I think the story telling you do is great, and my favorite art tells a story, even if by challenging me to fill in the details of what happened.

That said, you may not have made that 'space mess' but you used it well. And I like that we don't see their faces, it lets us imagine their emotional response. And the fact that her body is turned slightly away from him, but towards the disaster.

Thank you for your comments and I agree with you, I guess don't know what art is and thus it is hard to regard myself as any sort of artist. No one can really define art but I do like my pictures to either tell a story or portray an emotion. I am not saying that I succeed or if this is art it is just something I am aiming for. Apart from that I have a great regard for the skillful vendors that allow me to buy something at next to nothing, compared with the effort they have put in, and the last thing I would want is to take any sort of credit for their efforts.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh coflek-gnorg has a lot of nice products. I have a couple of his older items.

As far as mixing the ingredients go, I think we all do that to some degree, even if it's just the composition of everything in a scene. That's my strongest suit, as I was into 2D graphics for a lot longer than I am in 3D graphics, and I still use my 2D knowledge and skills a lot, even if working in a 3D app. ;)

quietrob

Extraordinary
Hornet, you are way too humble.

I've seen probably thousands of renders. Some were good and I told them so. Some were not so good but I encouraged them to continue. What matters is that you create. The use of 2D knowledge is a huge plus. Good Criticism is another. Be willing to listen and to use both. If you're like me, you look at your earliest stuff and cringe just a bit. You also look at your earlier stuff and go, "Hey. That wasn't too bad. There's something there." Just keep going and keep creating your chef stew. You'll do things a little differently each time but it will always amount to gaining expertise.

I remember when I was told to export the file into my runtime. I scratched my head and thought, "What's a runtime?" Now I'm bashing and thinking and rendering things simple and hard. You are too.

Keep going. I know art when I see it. That makes you an artist.

Hornet3d

Wise
Hornet, you are way too humble.

I've seen probably thousands of renders. Some were good and I told them so. Some were not so good but I encouraged them to continue. What matters is that you create. The use of 2D knowledge is a huge plus. Good Criticism is another. Be willing to listen and to use both. If you're like me, you look at your earliest stuff and cringe just a bit. You also look at your earlier stuff and go, "Hey. That wasn't too bad. There's something there." Just keep going and keep creating your chef stew. You'll do things a little differently each time but it will always amount to gaining expertise.

I remember when I was told to export the file into my runtime. I scratched my head and thought, "What's a runtime?" Now I'm bashing and thinking and rendering things simple and hard. You are too.

Keep going. I know art when I see it. That makes you an artist.

Thanks, some very well constructed ideas and advice. I have always valued any criticism I have received and tried to act upon it, after all someone has taken the time and trouble to comment so the least I can do is listen.

Your words were also thought provoking and, as it is that time of year to look back, I came up with these, two compositions with ten years between the renders.

Trends 1.jpg

Trends 2.jpg

Of course the software and content has moved in leaps and bounds but, with the help from so many people in the forums, what I can produce has certainly changed. Not sure whether that is due to better ingredients or better mixing on my part but I like the progress whatever the reasons.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Claus in a Pickle
View media item 2573

When PETA came to the North Pole two days before Christmas and informed Santa that forcing the reindeer to work for more than a twelve hour shift was illegal, that left Claus in a bit of a pickle...

However, he still gave it his best effort, although a snowmobile is certainly a bumpier ride than a flying sleigh pulled by magical reindeer.

This image was posted a few days after Christmas because it's taken Santa a lot longer to finish his rounds this year; a snowmobile is a lot slower than magical flying reindeer!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

quietrob

Extraordinary
Thanks, some very well constructed ideas and advice. I have always valued any criticism I have received and tried to act upon it, after all someone has taken the time and trouble to comment so the least I can do is listen.

Your words were also thought provoking and, as it is that time of year to look back, I came up with these, two compositions with ten years between the renders.

View attachment 20592

View attachment 20593

Of course the software and content has moved in leaps and bounds but, with the help from so many people in the forums, what I can produce has certainly changed. Not sure whether that is due to better ingredients or better mixing on my part but I like the progress whatever the reasons.

It's rather amazing isn't it? Of course we all take new characters and just quickly render to give 'em a test ride so to speak but what we know about lighting and composition changes even as do our choices of what to render. Every artist has a certain style like a singer has particular tonal qualities. That uniqueness makes each art piece different from what another artist would do and use given the exact same characters and props. 10 years to look at a difference. That's pretty cool to see how you've changed. I bet certain characters have even grown on you more than others.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Claus in a Pickle
View media item 2573

When PETA came to the North Pole two days before Christmas and informed Santa that forcing the reindeer to work for more than a twelve hour shift was illegal, that left Claus in a bit of a pickle...

However, he still gave it his best effort, although a snowmobile is certainly a bumpier ride than a flying sleigh pulled by magical reindeer.

This image was posted a few days after Christmas because it's taken Santa a lot longer to finish his rounds this year; a snowmobile is a lot slower than magical flying reindeer!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Ha! Super well done!

Miss B

CV-BEE
Well done VB, though the child that falling sleigh was meant for, is going to have to wait another year. ;)

Hornet3d

Wise
It's rather amazing isn't it? Of course we all take new characters and just quickly render to give 'em a test ride so to speak but what we know about lighting and composition changes even as do our choices of what to render. Every artist has a certain style like a singer has particular tonal qualities. That uniqueness makes each art piece different from what another artist would do and use given the exact same characters and props. 10 years to look at a difference. That's pretty cool to see how you've changed. I bet certain characters have even grown on you more than others.

I picked up V3 base in late 2004 and played around but at that time I had no idea how to pose, Poser lights were alien to me and materials were something I knew nothing about, even today materials are mainly PFM (Pure Flipping Magic) to me. I Like so many I moved on to V4 and by then I had started to try an create my own characters by blending textures and morphs that I purchased. I still do very much the same today I a just not quite so phased with materials and lights. I would have stayed with V4 but I found it difficult to create anything that did not show the V4 origins and expressions were very difficult for me.

I tried Dawn when she first arrived but was not that taken and stayed with V4. Dawn SE changed all that. I could see immediately that expressions, while not easy, were easier and when textures came on the market that allowed me to age the character I was hooked and have been ever since.

As you suggest there are some characters that have grown on me and I can look at renders that do not make me cringe, as most do. For instance this is a render of my Annio character from 2010 which is when I started to push against my own particular 'envelope' and a discovered so much more. I think for this reason I have fond memories of some of the situations I put her in.

Annio_PT_2.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Love seeing these renders Hornet...you can really see how you have progressed and developed your own style as an artist.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Even in Chains Their Queen
View media item 2574

There is a story that goes with this one, but for now, I'll leave you to guess...

This one "only" took three and a half days to render out. I spent most of that time postworking poor pickled Claus. I think I finally figured out the secret to backlighting hair, and I'm quite happy with the way the cloak draped on the stairs as well. VWD Cloth and Hair hard at work again...

Miss B

CV-BEE
Three and a half days????? I'm not sure I'd have the patience for that long a render time. I usually get antsy when it takes more than an hour.

That said, it looks really good. I like the scene, and the lighting is quite nice.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
When I hit "render", that is pretty much saying that I won't be able to use the computer for at least 8 hours... Two days is pretty standard for an image, but three and a half was quite depresing!