• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

I Just Wanted to Post an Image Thread

Hornet3d

Wise
She tried very hard to control her anger but she hated being made a fool of and Turlough had insisted he would be there that night. Those that she passed, as she walked purposefully along the corridor, breathed a sigh of relief thankful that she was not going to have words with them, though many already felt pity for whoever was her target.

Corridor meet..jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I feel their pain. :) Nicely done Hornet. She's definitely a determined young lady. ;)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks tparo...I would like a dawn clone for genesis 3 I was wondering if you had made one for yourself. I've been thinking about doing it, if only to transfer my own items to Genesis 3 F

Hornet3d

Wise
The moment she entered the Dorm it was clear just why Turlough had not made their meeting. Her anger disappeared in an instance and, if there had been anyone there to witness it they would have seen her stern expression soften and turn immediately to one of concern. Only later would the memory of her anger turn to one of guilt and regret.

Dorm.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
The story's coming along nicely Hornet, and I really like this render. Hmmmm, a wide-screen TV in a spaceship's dorm. OK, I can get behind that. ;)

Hornet3d

Wise
The story's coming along nicely Hornet, and I really like this render. Hmmmm, a wide-screen TV in a spaceship's dorm. OK, I can get behind that. ;)

The wide screen TV, yes, well, one of the downsides of not creating your own content, someone made a similar comment a few years ago on another of my renders that had a telephone in a sci-fi cockpit, which was another valid question. Even here I had to play with the textures because, although there was nothing showing originally on this particular screen , the next bunk down had a picture of a viking boat. Now there could be a very good reason for this but I could not think of a reason why so a tweaked it to show something that was a little more futuristic.

Of course the other side of this coin is that it would take me years to learn to make content this good, if I ever could, which I very much doubt, so these additions are a small price to pay. I did have a couple of other scenes that might have worked just as well but they were from different vendors and it went against idea I had of the story line based in a single ship.

Hornet3d

Wise
This is great to see the images and the story. Please continue!

Thank you for your comments, I try to tell a story with most my renders whether it be humorous, thoughtful or sad. In the past these have been single shot renders and each year or so I have a photo book printed of the individual renders but this year I have an idea to print a story book. With this in mind I have decided to try add some continuity to my renders with a few locations such as different range ships, planets and cities I guess along the lines of a computer game. One problem is I am not a very logical thinker so I do not have a story that starts at point A passes through point M and ends up at Z. Another factor is that, some days, I have a desire to render something funny and others something a little darker. The renders here are therefore a sort of a sub plot that may well continue but I have no real idea at the moment how we reached this point or indeed where it is likely to end.

Miss B

CV-BEE
The wide screen TV, yes, well, one of the downsides of not creating your own content, someone made a similar comment a few years ago on another of my renders that had a telephone in a sci-fi cockpit, which was another valid question. Even here I had to play with the textures because, although there was nothing showing originally on this particular screen , the next bunk down had a picture of a viking boat. Now there could be a very good reason for this but I could not think of a reason why so a tweaked it to show something that was a little more futuristic.
Actually Hornet, when I looked at the monitor more closely, I realized it didn't necessarily have to be a "TV" screen, but a monitor showing what's going on outside the spaceship, so not necessarily a bad thing.

Hornet3d

Wise
Actually Hornet, when I looked at the monitor more closely, I realized it didn't necessarily have to be a "TV" screen, but a monitor showing what's going on outside the spaceship, so not necessarily a bad thing.

That's is possible but the viking ship that was originally on one monitor was more difficult to explain.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I read the above comments and thought, "Why not a viking ship?"

On Star Trek, TNG, the crew went through holodeck adventures set in medieval times, the american west, Sherlock Holmes' London and the era of film noir. The captain was given the gift of a ship in a bottle. I watch Game of Throne which is more or less set in ancient times. If I were on of those bunks, I would probably look at the unnamed girl first and then back to my screen as I watched the vikings land. Of course everything I said is rendered (pun) academic if in that futuristic scene, they come from a land that never had vikings.

Hornet3d

Wise
I read the above comments and thought, "Why not a viking ship?"

On Star Trek, TNG, the crew went through holodeck adventures set in medieval times, the american west, Sherlock Holmes' London and the era of film noir. The captain was given the gift of a ship in a bottle. I watch Game of Throne which is more or less set in ancient times. If I were on of those bunks, I would probably look at the unnamed girl first and then back to my screen as I watched the vikings land. Of course everything I said is rendered (pun) academic if in that futuristic scene, they come from a land that never had vikings.

Thank you for your comments, I always think it helps to see something from someone else's point of view. Your right of course, there are a number of ways to explain the inclusion of a viking ship particularly in the course of a story, the problem I had was it is far more difficult to explain in a single render, in fact I found it distracting. It touches on a problem I often have with sci-fi and that is finding the balance. If I am creating a world in another galaxy and a different time, what is the likelihood that characters there would speak English and understand the history of earth and it's culture. The one item that makes me wonder most of all is the qwerty keyboard as I don't imagine it would exist in any vision of the future, but how else to we show a means of interacting with a computer everyone will understand. Of course you have to suspend reality, which is why almost all the major world war two movies had English scripts as you have to look at people who will view it. My focus in this case was the characters in the render but I found myself asking what was a picture of a viking ship doing there and not what is happening with the characters, which is why I changed it. Of course it might be I just lack imagination and I certainly look differently at the render than anyone else will.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist

So I had a totally different thought about this, as someone who was once in the navy. It had just started becoming a thing to let ships have e-mail at the time, and there were little computer areas were you could go check your e-mail. No web access though, because that was too bandwidth intensive then. But in the years since I've gotten out, I've actually ended up playing online games with people deployed in Afghanistan. As the technology has become so much more normalized that it was in the late 90s, I suspect there's more and more of this sort of thing. Now, no, you're not going to find TV screens in the racks on a Navy vessel anytime soon I don't think. People will just have to live with sharing the one in the common area. But I suspect in the far distant future, people will be even more glued to their screens than us (or they will all be wearing google glass like things instead).

quietrob

Extraordinary
MORIARTY!!! I so remember that episode. ;)
And was actually one of the better episodes! So good they brought him back. I loved Diana Muldaur speaking of how she was fine other than being stuffed with crumpets.

Thank you for your comments, I always think it helps to see something from someone else's point of view. Your right of course, there are a number of ways to explain the inclusion of a viking ship particularly in the course of a story, the problem I had was it is far more difficult to explain in a single render, in fact I found it distracting. It touches on a problem I often have with sci-fi and that is finding the balance. If I am creating a world in another galaxy and a different time, what is the likelihood that characters there would speak English and understand the history of earth and it's culture...

With apologies to Harry Turtledove and the Road Not Taken.
That road is something I've dealt with in my own stories. It's also something that is already dealt with here. On Earth. Now. Only English speaking countries use the qwerty keyboard. If you are living in Korea or Japan, your keyboard looks completely different. It's best to create your own alphabet as a template for any scene that includes a typewriter or word processor (ancient printing devices from the last century) and tell the story in English the way you are doing. It also relates to the area's that uses
technology based on where they are. Galactic Homesteaders colonizing a planet would have limited resources and tech while a city on an advanced world and with an advanced navy would have all the comforts of home within limits. How many of us have a TV in every room now? While Star Trek included individual staterooms for the crew, your vessel looks like it was built solely for combat and not exploration. Thus the stacked bunks in a space barracks setting. It fits Hornet. Some ships are going to have a common area with a TV and maybe a pool table. Others, as I said, will have all the comforts of home. I don't know the story in your head. But I know you are acquainted with every member of that crew and are only limited in time until you get around to all of them. No one knows your characters as well as you do. Ahem. What is the name of "the nurse" and is that a tattoo?

Much love going out to Gadget Girl! When I was in we didn't have email so bandwidth wasn't a problem. But then...I'm older than Email!