• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

CWRW Product Previews

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
So here is the latest WIP on the LAMH mane for the Lion. This IS using the actual Lion morph (thanks Paul!!) It's starting to get there! Needs more tweaks on styling, randomizing the hair lengths more, work on the underlying map and so on.

LionManeLAMHGo3_C.jpg
LionManeLAMHGo3_B.jpg
LionManeLAMHGo3_A.jpg

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
:squee:

Wow, is that looking GOOD Laurie! I love seeing the progression you are making as the studying of new tools meets the mesh, meets the artist with a passion for lions. Beautifully done and it's not even done!! LOL

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
LOVE LOVE LOVE Mr. Lion! Mane is def coming along. That Lion face morph is just so handsome!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yup. That's a lion, all right. This Poser or Studio? Or the conforming mane?

Thanks all! All the renders in that post are WIPs of the LAMH lion mane. I haven't done the tail or elbow tufts or belly fur yet in LAMH.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Ah. Very handsome.

I'm beginning to have reservations about LAMH, mainly because it dislikes my rig. It loads, it appears to work, it exports back into Studio. But it doesn't seem to render. I get only a thin haze of noise where I ought to have fur. Gives me a decent base for postwork, but it isn't performing as advertised.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Ah. Very handsome.

I'm beginning to have reservations about LAMH, mainly because it dislikes my rig. It loads, it appears to work, it exports back into Studio. But it doesn't seem to render. I get only a thin haze of noise where I ought to have fur. Gives me a decent base for postwork, but it isn't performing as advertised.

Huh that is odd. You have an iMac you said, right? I've never worked on one so no help there...sorry! Me likey my big OLD MacPro towers.

We will be doing a modeled/ trans mapped version on the base Lion. Chris needs to UV map the mane and tail etc for me, hence no WIPs on that yet. The LAMH and Poser Hair will be CWRW add-ons.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
LAMH has always been odd since I upgraded from 4.0. Worked fine in 4.0. But once I moved to 4.5, or maybe it was 4.6, it's been really unreliable and unsatisfactory.

First it didn't seem to export back into Studio at all. Then it only seemed to export the guide hairs, so I got this really thin, patchy approximation of fur. Now it only seems to export the fill hairs, so I get a layer of noise, which picks up the highlights from the lighting, but isn't solid enough to pass as fur on its own.

Example:
fur.jpg

Like I say, it will serve as a base for postwork. But it isn't really a satisfactory solution on its own. (Hivewire housecoat w/ Saiyaness's long hair preset)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Hmm... did you get the later version of the free LAMH player (or do you have the full version?). Is this 3D or Iray? I've only used DS 4.9 so far with LAMH at all for what that's worth... I do have the latest version of LAMH installed. I've had that "look" happen when I've run an iray render and forgot to assign the right value to the hair density before making the OBJ. Def odd for sure!

Is this the workflow you've been using?

Free Player.

1. Select HW Cat in Scene.
2. Bring up the free player window (top menu Window-> Panes-> Look at My Hair)
3. Hit the button “Attach Preset” (then scroll to where you saved the presets- I put them in Documents/Daz 3D/lookatmyhairAM/presets - I am on Mac)
4. Wait wait wait….:)
5. Once the guide hairs are generated, then assign a numeric value to number of hairs under “Hair Quantity”. Saiyaness suggests 1,200,000 for the Cat and I’ve been using 400,000 for the kitten to good effect. I didn’t change any of the other LAMH settings.

6. If using 3DL then one can play with the MAT if desired (select the 4 "HiveWireHouseCat_Grp_0_RMan_01 - FurTail, ClawsBack, FurEars and Furbody that show up in the "HiveWireHouseCat LAMH Group" - those are the green guide hairs you see in preview mode) under Scene and in the Surfaces Tab to modify the MAT) (I haven’t done any 3DL renders with it but that is how that works it seems)

7. If wanting to use Iray , next click the button “to OBJ”.

Wait a LONG time and follow/click the dialog boxes that appear.

Then once that is generated select the now available object, HiveWireHouseCat_Grp_0 under Scene (will be in the HiveWireHouseCat LAMH Group) and Surfaces tab and then apply the Iray Uber Base Shader. Then modify that shader with Saiyaness’s suggested settings. Different lights and coats will need adjustment from those settings but they are a very good place to start.

Then render!

Anyway just some thoughts on it?

Last edited:

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
To be honest, I'm not sure which version of LAMH I've got installed at this point. I own both, but was getting such bad results from the full version that I went to the free player back around when the original version stopped working right. I can't remember whether I've switched back, but I might have. The LAMH window I see has more tools in it than I think came with the player. But I don't see an uninstaller in the folder that one ought to be in. And apart from seeing 1.5 on the Plugin window, have no other clues.

I'm working in 4.9 and 3DL, and have been accessing from the create menu with 'Create a new LAMH object' or whatever it calls itself. I'll check the panes menu and see if accessing it from there gives me different results.

Otherwise things run more or less as you say, although I'll report that although the cat figure is standing on a floor plane when it first comes into the LAMH pane, once I apply the preset it suddenly moves some feet in front of the floor pane and stays there. Or the floor pane moves. But from what I see, the floor pane appears to stay in the same place, but the figure is suddenly not there, and one can only see the tip of the tail and you have to navigate back to see it again.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Ok LOL you have had LOTs of odd things happening I've never experienced:)

The full LAMH now is v. 1.6 (and is what I am using). It's a free update- just re-download from Daz. I do know you can either install the free player or the full version but not both or things weird out. If using the full version you shouldn't need to use the Editor window at all to just load the free House Cat LAMH preset. Just use the base LAMH pane (looks the same as the most recent free player pane).

Def pull up LAMH using the top menu Window->Panes->Look at My Hair and then do the workflow above- the only thing I changed from that for 3DL is to pick the Standard Shader in the LAMH pane rather than Human Hair Shader. For this fast render I only used 500,000 hairs

QuickCat.jpg

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Fur2.jpg

Yup. Much better performance through the pane. I suspect that I may have both versions installed, and that's what could be causing a lot of the issues. How I'm supposed to get rid of them and reinstall just the player without a deinstaller (which I *don't* have) I have no idea. Maybe a reinstall will give me a deinstaller.

In any event, this is what I got through the pane. It loaded (and you are sure right about the waiting) blank white, so I didn't trust it, and added the shader as well. Won't do that again.

Will redownload both and see about installing those versions.
Oh, *sigh* I've got another duplicate. Sorry about that.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
View attachment 30313
Yup. Much better performance through the pane. I suspect that I may have both versions installed, and that's what could be causing a lot of the issues. How I'm supposed to get rid of them and reinstall just the player without a deinstaller (which I *don't* have) I have no idea. Maybe a reinstall will give me a deinstaller.

In any event, this is what I got through the pane. It loaded (and you are sure right about the waiting) blank white, so I didn't trust it, and added the shader as well. Won't do that again.

Will redownload both and see about installing those versions.
Oh, *sigh* I've got another duplicate. Sorry about that.

Much better! Though def odd again on the blank white? I am thinking once you get a good clean install of the newer full version that all will work the way it should.

FWIW I have the uninstaller for the full version if you want it- but yeah I would try downloading the new full version and see what happens when you try to install that. The new version you can pull up just the player pane to use existing presets. Then if you want to edit presets or do your own thing, then click on the "Show LAMH Editor" button for the full deal.

FWIW on my mac the uninstaller is under Applications/Daz 3D/Uninstallers. I did learn the hard way it's worth installing the various Daz uninstallers:)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yeah. That's where the de-installers live. But I didn't have one. Either of them. Well, the install/deinstall do-se-do took care of that. I suspect I ought to do a full reinstall of the program with all its plugins, but that can wait for another day.