• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What Is Your Favorite TV Show?

eclark1894

Visionary
huh? wasn't that the time travel thing? oh wait, I was thinking of QUANTUM LEAP! I did not like THAT ONE.... cant' remember Sliders, actually, I may not have watched it... and in looking up his acting credits, he was even in Desperate Housewives!??! huh, can't even remember that at all... maybe that's another one I can re-watch! LOL!

by the way, @frogimus - my ex who knows about how old my flat screen is said:
-------------------
You have LED back-lighting. Something on the board has worn out. Probably because you left it running it slowly overheated over the years. Old ones had florescent bulbs in the back. They don't make those LCD TV's anymore. Everything is LED like your monitor now. The LCD's were too durable. Had I known you just left it running I would have told you not to do that.

You have an edge to edge LED lighting array behind your LCD screen so normally they go out a few at a time. For them all to fail means the problem is on the board.
Sliders starred Jerry O'Connell, who invented a "sliding" device that took you from parallel earth to parallel earth but each earth had a few things different You might be born a woman on your home earth but on another earth you were born a man, or on another earth they lost WW2 or the American revolution. Or something just significant enough that it changed the way that earth developed. It was also the lead-in for the X-Files, another favorite show of mine.

sliders.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I remember Sliders well...loved the original cast but when it lost cast members it lost some of its shine.

I recently have been watching the Shannara Chronicles via ITunes not sure if Eventine in it is also the Professor from sliders I'm hopeless with actors I only ever remember character names.

frogimus

Adventurous
I remember Sliders well...loved the original cast but when it lost cast members it lost some of its shine.

I recently have been watching the Shannara Chronicles via ITunes not sure if Eventine in it is also the Professor from sliders I'm hopeless with actors I only ever remember character names.
Ive been wanting to watch that. One of my favorite book series. Now if they would do Dragonlance...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Oh my wouldn't that be fantastic...would also enjoy some of Mercedes Lackeys stuff transfered to a series.

I'm enjoying Shannara...only just bought it last night and we're 3 episodes in so far but really enjoying it. The CG work is magnificent! It's been a while since I read the books so I'm not sure how close it is to the originals. I would love for them to do the first book in that series with Shea and Flick also...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thank you...I can never remember and now I can check! Just checked on IMBD and yes it is him...Thanks Earl!

frogimus

Adventurous
It seems that John Rhys-Davies is usually in stuff I like. Not that he is particularly a favorite actor, but he seems to take roles in things I enjoy to watch.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yes he does take on some interesting roles. Up to the 6th episode in the Shannara chronicles...loving it so far.

Last edited:

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Oh my wouldn't that be fantastic...would also enjoy some of Mercedes Lackeys stuff transfered to a series.

I'm enjoying Shannara...only just bought it last night and we're 3 episodes in so far but really enjoying it. The CG work is magnificent! It's been a while since I read the books so I'm not sure how close it is to the originals. I would love for them to do the first book in that series with Shea and Flick also...

oh SHE'S favorite of mine from way back... :)

and I don't generally like parallel universes... no wonder I didn't watch Sliders....

Zaarin

Brilliant
I started a conversation then forgot about it. :oops:
I always thought Deep Space 9 was the best Trek show ever, and I'm old enough to remember the original series, and yes, I recognized your avatar, though don't ask me his name, as the memory stinks the older you get. :rofl:

Of course, as good as DS9 was, Babylon 5 was still my favorite Sci-Fi show back in the day.
Ronald D. Moore was my favorite Trek writer, so Babylon 5 is on my list of shows to watch. ;) (His name is Garak, just plain, simple Garak--or Elim Garak, as we later learn. :D)

OH I'd agree... DS9 was the BEST... well... but I did enjoy Voyager too... then again, I loved Picard in Next Gen... and I actually just bought and sat through the entire ENTERPRISE and actually enjoyed it... tho I won't re-watch those DVDs...

I'm well into NUMB3RS now and loving it... it's so different!
I loved Picard and Data; I liked Riker when he wasn't being a total misogynist jerk. But I found Geordi a little boring (he had his moments, but most of the time...), Crusher just exuded incompetence (not the fault of the actress, personally--just a dull character), Pulaski was a mild improvement but only lasted a season, and Troi--let us not speak of that abomination. ;)

Scott Bakula is one of my favorite actors, so I loved Enterprise. I had a hard time getting into Voyager. It took me a very long time to warm up to Janeway. I'm not sure I ever really did fully warm up to her.

Funny how as I got older, I had more and more problems with Captain Kirk.

I think it's likely that Deep Space Nine is my favorite, followed by Enterprise. While I also think highly of Patrick Stewart, I just didn't care for the Borg storylines. I'm not sure whether I ever saw the entire series. I stopped watching TV during its run. It was quite a few years before I started watching "tv" again, not until online streaming hit the scene.
I hated Voyager. I really liked Janeway (let me rephrase: I really liked Kate Mulgrew), but the writing was inconsistent at best and there wasn't a single other likable character. I really wanted to like Chakotay, but he was a giant walking stereotype. Tuvok was abominable (most emotional Vulcan ever). I wanted to shove Paris out an airlock. The half-Klingon engineer (forget her name) was just angry. My only real memory of the Doctor was his DS9 appearance, where I also wanted to shove him out an airlock (don't mess with my favorite character :p). And then there's Ensign Forgettable; the "Korean" guy played by a Malaysian actor. Oh, and the alien--the feeble attempt to merge Quark and Guinan into a single character and failing. :p There's also the fact that it asks me to sympathize with the Maquis, and after DS9 that's something I simply cannot do. ;)

My issue with TNG is, at its heart, Roddenberry. With no disrespect intended towards a man who created such a wonderful franchise, Roddenberry did not understand good storytelling. He wanted to show this perfect, happy, sunny future of humanity in which all threats come from outside; frankly, that's incredibly boring. The most typical Roddenberry episode I can think of is the episode in which, immediately after being told his mother died, a very small child calmly says, "Thank you for telling me, captain. May I go back to my lesson now?" :confused: Roddenberry was so obsessed with showing this perfect humanity, it makes most of early TNG really boring. There are more human episodes later on (after Roddenberry's death), but it was too little, too late. What I love most about DS9 (aside from the characters and the writing) is the way it undermines that "perfect" future: one of my favorite moments in DS9 is Sisko's monologue in the two-part episode "Maquis," where he says that "it's easy to be a saint in paradise." (You can check out that speech here; mild profanity warning.) DS9's characters were much more flawed and therefore much more human. I also appreciate that DS9 approaches religion with much more respect than other Trek franchises; as a religious person, TNG's hardcore atheism is at times a trifle abrasive.

I think the Borg were great in "Q Who?" and "The Best of Both Worlds," but they went seriously downhill after that. You can only defeat an "all-powerful" enemy so many times before it starts to look bad. "Descent" is the worst, and it doesn't help that I already don't like Lore.

Still, despite all of that, I have to admit my single favorite episode is from TNG: "The Inner Light" is just a masterpiece of storytelling.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Garak was an awesome character..your avatar always makes me smile.

I loved all of the Trek shows (Enterprise was my least favorite). I hear what you're saying, but I think that in looking at all of Voyager, there are flaws in all the characters - I don't think they were presented as too perfect. I had trouble warming up to some of them, but overall, I just enjoy all of the series. They're things I can watch over and over!

Watched Babylon 5 and while I think it's a great series, I have the same personal quibble with it that I did with DS 9 - I don't like when a really negative storyline drags on and on endlessly, and both had that happen at some point. But that's just me.

"The Inner Light" was an awesome episode!

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Have to agree about Garak, Alisa! and his interaction with the doctor was hysterical/enjoyable!

frogimus

Adventurous
One thing about B5 is that the entire storyline was written before the first episode was made. No backtracking, adjustments, or other stuff you get on some shows. Yes, some episodes were filler. But it was a premapped journey to a specific conclusion.

What I would like to see is a show where Terrans don't end up being the alpha race.