• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What Is Your Favorite TV Show?

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Brought this from the old forum.

LYNE SAID:

11-10-2015, 05:34 PM

When not doing art, I watch TV shows... (I buy them on DVD, don't subscribe to ANY cable, dish or internet TV, I prefer them with NO commercials, and all the neat "extras" PLUS I get to re-watch)

BUT with DVDs, I do watch a year behind, so PLEASE NO SPOILERS in the stories of a current season being broadcast now...that's my only "rule" for this thread... thanks so much!

Anyway, I LOVE TV shows, really escape from my health issues with them...... I kinda give myself some family and companionship with TV if I am really honest...I enjoy family, drama, and sci fi... animal related shows.... really anything with HEART and then add on from there... and I thought it might be fun to share some discussion on "favorite TV shows" ?

The only thing I DON'T like are gore-horror themes... and no GRIMM to me just isn't horror! It has HUMOR and drama... er.... and I admit I do like Vampires... but the um... Vampire Diaries kind and the whole world of shape-shifting warewolves...as long as they have RELATIONSHIPS- heart!

My MOST favorite are: GRIMM, Once Upon A Time, and now The Flash! (the 2014 newest version)... Then there are the shows with both high drama AND family all in one, like BLUE BLOODS (sorry can't help it, TOM SELLEK AFTER ALL! on the main networks.

Canada's HEARTLAND series (lots of horses!! LOL! and FAMILY) Shows like The Walton's and the newer Parenthood (with Gilmore Girl's Lauren Graham) really give me a "family fix"...

also Canada's HIGH drama FLASHPOINT was/is amazing!! (and how they care about NOT killing the "bad" guy...because the bad guys aren't always bad!)

ooo ooo and GAME OF THRONES! LOVE, love, love that epic drama...and the dragons!

I follow several "cable" shows, I'm not a prude, but again, no horror.... well wait, I DID watch Dexter... because well, he did kill REALLY BAD GUYS... sometimes I just kinda close my eyes if it gets too much...

I love "quirky" shows like Six Feet Under too....

To name JUST a few.... I'm have a huge TV apatite and am fairly eclectic... I'll watch older shows I hunt up as well as newer ones... Canada makes GREAT TV in my opinion...

Soooo tell me what TV series shows you love to watch and why!

Life requires assembly, and we all know how that goes!

===========================

SKYLAB SAID:

11-10-2015, 06:02 PM

Blue Bloods is my favorite too...love Tom Selleck, even back in the Magnum PI days WGN station runs the show all night on Saturday and Sunday. I also enjoy JAG and sometimes Burn Notice, if it's not too violent (like intense interrogation scenes)...I find their often surprising plot twists intriguing and engaging to watch. Before I retired I didn't have much time for TV, so I even enjoy older programs now that came and went while I was too busy to see them.

MISS B SAID:

11-10-2015, 06:50 PM

OK, I'm mostly into crime and police procedurals, so the original Law&Order is a huge favorite of mine, that I can still catch some evenings/nights on the WE cable network. In fact, several scenes from an episode of the second season were filmed at my old law firm. I got to meet Chris Noth one evening as I was leaving to go home.

I also am a huge fan of the original CSI, and was a little sad that it had it's final show last month, but there's reruns I can occasionally catch. The Miami and NY versions are OK, but not as good.

I used to watch JAG, and was into Burn Notice the first couple of seasons, but I've gotten away from it. This season I'm watching Quantico, but I haven't decided yet whether I like it enough to continue watching it the whole season. I'll have to wait and see as far as that's concerned.

My current favorite is NCIS, which I just finished watching a little while ago, and I like the L.A. spin-off on Mondays. The N.O. spin-off is on now (right after the original NCIS), and it's growing on me, though I'm not particularly a fan of Scott Bakula, but the stories so far have been pretty good. The original is in reruns on USA on Monday's and sometimes Wednesdays, and once in a while on Saturdays. I can watch them all over, and over, and over again, that's how much I really like it.

I also like Flashpoint Lyne, and I owe you a big thank you, because I've been trying to figure out what city the SRU was in. It never occurred to me it was up in Canada, or is that just where they film it?

I also watch Criminal Minds, but I can't watch too many episodes in one sitting, because their stories can get pretty "dark", if you know what I mean.

Now as far as Tom Selleck and Blue Bloods, that man has aged soooooooooo wellllllllll. I also like the "family" situations, as it shows the characters as being "real". Most shows just do the theme of the story, and forget the characters have a personality, and other issues besides "the job", as it were.

I don't subscribe to any of the "prime" networks like Starz and HBO, and the like, so I only rented the first season of Game of Thrones from Netflix, but I have read all 5 of the books that are currently in print, and waiting (not so patiently) for book 6 to come out, hopefully for the holidays next month. Well one can hope in any case. I read a lot of fantasy books (I also love dragons), but don't really watch much fantasy shows on TV. I am trying out the new Supergirl show, and so far it's not bad. I'll give it a few more episodes before I decide whether I really like it.

=========================

LYNE REPLIED:

11-10-2015, 07:53 PM

Skylab... I did watch Burn Notice allll the way through...got the prequel movie too (as I have a fondness for the side-kick actor)... LOL! I do watch a fair amount of procedurals too...

Miss B... yes FLASHPOINT is based on the Canadian swat team... it's so different... so yes, they filmed it in Canada...as it is OF Canada... (I do love seeing beautiful areas - both city and countryside- of Canada... gorgeous country. So much of what we watch in the US is filmed in Canada... (one reason it was interesting that GRIMM is filmed in the state of Oregon - which is gorgeous too).

I just got CSI Cyber and like it A LOT!! You might try this one?

I have all the NCIS franchises... the original is the BEST... I love every principal actor on that one... though to me it was never the same after "Ziva" left the show... but I'll stick with it...

I also do not care all that much for Scott Bakula... but I do feel his real acting 'chops' are best used in NCIS New Orleans...(and I sure love the look and music of that area!!)

If I could hold a book to read, I would read all of Game of Thrones...but had to give up reading when my joints/muscles went wonky... (anther reason I treat myself to DVDs)

Once in a while I also buy movies...the big block busters, Disney films, etc... mostly to "fill in" during the dry spells between times the TV shows are put out on DVD...

I also forgot to mention I LOVE Agents of Shield! (tried to watch all the movies in order, but they are too silly to me... again prefer the interaction of the characters in a TV show)

I REALLY like the Defiance series (TV show that's hooked up with it's video game version) - fascinates me!

Also many of the best sci fi shows were canceled after such a short time...if they are good, I'll buy them anyway... (NBC really still is the 'cancelation champ'... argh! dumb!)

Terra Nova is a prime example!! Some at least go long enough to be worth collecting...

Some other (on going) sci fi I really like: Lost Girl and Orphan Black...

The UK has some great shows but they have SUCH a short season, it's frustrating... the Musketeers is a good one coming out of the UK! and of course Downton Abby!!

========================================

MISS B CAME BACK:

11-10-2015, 08:21 PM

CSI Cyber looks good. I may have to see if Netflix has them on DVD so I can catch up.

I agree with you about Ziva leaving. I was so disappointed when I heard she hadn't signed for the new season, that I was screaming at the TV that she was one dumb *tch. I like Eleanor, but there was something about the interaction between Ziva and Tony that made her seasons special. I also liked Shana Alexander (who played Kate) from the earlier seasons.

I watched Downtown Abbey some, and it was a good show. There was a series starring Helen Mirren as a British police detective that I really liked, but it's not on any more, and of course the Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot shows based on Agatha Christie books, and I was a proud owner of 35 of them. I think the only BBCA show I watch now is reruns of Star Trek the Next Generation. I always liked Patrick Stewart. I saw him once many years ago when they were still doing Shakespeare in Central Park. It always amazed me that a Shakespeare trained actor could play a captain of the Enterprise in a Sci-Fi tv show. Of course, that wasn't really a British show, but BBCA is the network that shows it, I guess in deference to Patrick Stewart.

As far as holding books, I suffer from chronic CTS, so I can empathize to a degree. I've been toying with the idea of getting a Book Seat I saw at Amazon, where the book is cradled and held in it, and I can have it in my lap as I sit on the couch with my feet up on the coffee table. I think it might even work with my tablet when I want to read one of my eBooks.

============================

LISA B SAID:

11-10-2015, 08:49 PM

I only have Netflix so I really love binge watching and have discovered quite a few favorites.

once Upon a Time ... I love the good vs evil theme and the depth of the characters.

Bluebloods for sure ... Love the family aspect and Tom Selleck is a wonderful bonus.

The Walking Dead ... love the characters and how they go through the age old struggle of good vs evil...and just how far they will go over the line...

Fringe...I don't think I would have discovered this show if not for Netflix...so good...loved the characters and the possibilities in the stories...

Survivor...love to see the personalities and how they balance all that is needed to outplay, outwit and outlast.

Heartland...love, love, love this show. I would love to live in this show!

Merlin... BBC show that is so good. Love the play between Arthur and Merlin set in Camelot. There is so much in this one that I can see in my present day life... oh what a ride! I've watched the whole series at least three times.

Arrow... Another good vs evil story that explores the struggle of conscious and what is acceptable or justified.

Orange is the New Black... A Netflix original that is worthy of watching for a different perspective.

Scandal, Blacklist and House of Cards because it shows that there are real people in the highest positions of government and its interesting to see how far they will go to cover lies. Reminds me that there's a bit of truth in everything when it comes to how I view government.

Endless nature documentaries and shows like Long Way Down and Long Way Around that show me cultures and parts of the world that I hope to experience for myself someday.

Dual Survivor with two contrasting methods of staying alive in the wilderness.

Deadliest Catch... I think I watch just to hear Mike Rowe narrate...Dang!

I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting but that's what at the top of my head...

=====================================

Satira Capriccio SAID:

11-10-2015, 10:05 PM

Yep. Binge watching is the only way to watch a series in my opinion!

I subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu Plus.

Doctor Who! What? No one else loooovvves Doctor Who?!?

Firefly! One of the few shows I will watch over and over. Even if it only ran one season.

I agree Canada makes great shows. I rather like quite a few British shows too. When we make good shows, they are really good. But most of what we churn out is too concerned with trying to grab a young audience with short attention spans rather than well written stories that mature over a season (or more).

Midsomer Murders - British television detective drama in its 17th season (yay!) which is based on Caroline Graham's Chief Inspector Barnaby book series. John Nettles played DCI Tom Barnaby until Season 14 as Tom Barnaby retired at the end of Season 13 and was replaced by Neil Dudgeon as Tom's younger cousin DCI John Barnaby.

Murdoch Mysteries (The Artful Detective) - Canadian series with Yannick Bisson as William Murdoch, a police detective working in Toronto, Ontario, around the turn of the twentieth century.

Sherlock - British crime drama television series. Contemporary adaptation Sherlock Holmes with Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman as Doctor John Watson.

Continuum - Canadian science fiction series with Rachel Nichols as Kiera Cameron, a police officer from 2077 who time travels to Vancouver, BC, in 2012 following a terrorist group

Longmire - American crime drama television series based on the Walt Longmire Mysteries series of mystery novels written by Craig Johnson. Robert Taylor plays Sheriff Walt Longmire of Wyoming's fictional Absaroka County. The stories and scenery are absolutely brilliant with Longmire. In my opinion, this is probably the highest quality American show ever.

Rosemary and Thyme - British television mystery series with Felicity Kendal and Pam Ferris as gardening detectives Rosemary Boxer and Laura Thyme. The show ran from 2003 to 2007.

Monk - American comedy-drama detective mystery television series with Tony Shalhoub as Adrian Monk. I still miss Monk dreadfully.

Psych - American detective comedy-drama television series with James Roday as Shawn Spencer, Dulé Hill as Shawn's best friend and reluctant partner Burton "Gus" Guster, and Corbin Bernsen as Shawn's father, Henry, a former officer of the Santa Barbara Police Department. I was sooo disappointed when the series ended.

Medium - American television drama series with Patricia Arquette as a medium employed as a consultant for the Phoenix, Arizona district attorney's office. Another one I hated to see end and still do not like the last episode. Just wrong.

Yes indeed. I loved Poirot ... David Suchet WAS Poirot and made him absolutely loveable, Miss Marple, and Merlin too.

Atlantis - British fantasy-adventure television series inspired by Greek mythology and the legend of Atlantis which is supposed to grab the Merlin fans. Jack Donnelly plays Jason (of the Argonauts long before they are the Argonauts), Mark Addy as Hercules, and Robert Emms as Pythagoras.

I loved Once Upon a Time for the first season or two. Got bored with it after the first season. This season has improved a bit (and I won't say why that is so as not to ruin it for you Lyne), but it's still not back to the top of my list.

Grimm. Same as Once Upon a Time. Loved the first season but each season thereafter became less appealing to me. Monroe and Rosalee need FAR more air time. To me, they absolutely make the show. I never quite understood the hate for Bitsie Tulloch by so many Grimm fans, but I've not really cared all that much for Juliette. I don't feel the chemistry is quite right for the two of them, while the chemistry between Monroe and Rosalee is fabulous.

I liked the Marvel universe shows the first season, haven't been able to watch them at all since. I'll probably try again when they are no longer running :p

Loved Downton Abbey. But that's another one that's lost me in the last few seasons.

NCIS, NCIS LA, NCIS New Orleans, Numbers, and sorta the CISes. But, I've not watched any of the NCIS or CIS series this year. I no longer have patience to watch anything on CBS's website ... including Elementary. NCIS is now on Netflix so I've been struggling through the seasons. I will probably just skip to the last season on Netflix as knowing that Cote de Pablo left NCIS so abruptly has kinda ruined her character for me. WHere once I loved Ziva, now I don't have a lot of patience for her. Besides ... Abby Sciuto is NCIS

Scott Bakula is one of my favorite actors. Loved him in Quantum Leap and Enterprise and as Chuck's father in Chuck (which is another of my favorites). Have a harder time with him in NCIS New Orleans.

And of course ... all the Star Trek / Stargate series.

==================================

MISS B REPLIED:

11-10-2015, 11:06 PM

Yup, have to agree . . . Abby Sciuto is most definitely NCIS. In fact, I found my fave characters in most of the procedurals were the techs. Then again, how could you not like David McCullum as Dr. Mallard. I still remember him as a young agent on Man from U.N.C.L.E. Damn I just dated myself. :headdesk:

I also loved all the Star Trek series, though my favorite was the one with the female Captain Janeway. I also liked Stargate. I just forgot a lot of the old, old shows I used to watch.

I also forgot to mention earlier, there's 2 Hallmark cable channels, and one is Hallmark Movies & Mysteries with old shows like Murder She Wrote, Diagnosis Murder, Hart to Hart, and Columbo to name a few. Oh, and I almost forgot, they also sometimes show Perry Mason, but only the movies, and not the old original TV series.

===========================================

SKYLAB REPLIED:

11-10-2015, 11:41 PM

I also miss Monk.. and his relentless need for wipes, lengthy categorized list of OCD phobias, and his trademark "here's what happened..." :D Very clever and entertaining show...especially the one where he, out of emotional desperation, kept mailing his trash to his therapist during a city garbage strike. I wish Hallmark murder mysteries would include his show, along with Matlock, and others mentioned above.

SANBIE SAID:

11-11-2015, 12:37 AM

We sit down to watch TV every night...
NCIS, NCIS LA, NCIS NO,
CSI Cyber
Grimm
Murdock Mysteries
Blind Spot
Haven
Quantico
Big Bang Theory

Gosh I forget the rest! lol

Satira Capriccio REPLIED:

11-11-2015, 06:30 AM

I loved it when Kate Todd asked Gibbs what Ducky looked like when he was younger. Gibbs response was ... Illya Kuryakin.

Yep. I have to agree. Ducky did look like Illya Kuryakin when he was younger!

Glitterati3D SAID:

11-11-2015, 06:38 AM

I don't watch much TV at all......I find I can't sit still long enough most of the time. But, I do love the new show Blindspot.

======================================

eclark1894 SAID:

11-11-2015, 07:43 AM

I have a variety of shows I like, but my favorites so far this year , in no particular order, have been Supergirl, Arrow, the Flash, Agents of Shield, Once Upon a Time, Chicago Fire, Supernatural, and Gotham. Although, Supergirl comes on at the same time as Gotham so I'm going tto have to watch repeats of Gotham to find out what's going on since Supergirl started up. Also, OUAT has been kind of boring this season so far. Emma just doesn't make a convincing Dark One.

====================================

LYNE REPLIED:

11-11-2015, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by eclark1894
I have a variety of shows I like, but my favorites so far this year , in no particular order, have been Supergirl, Arrow, the Flash, Agents of Shield, Once Upon a Time, Chicago Fire, Supernatural, and Gotham. Although, Supergirl comes on at the same time as Gotham so I'm going tto have to watch repeats of Gotham to find out what's going on since Supergirl started up. Also, OUAT has been kind of boring this season so far. Emma just doesn't make a convincing Dark One.

EEEEK!!!! SHHHHHH!!!! Don't tell me what happens/is happening THIS YEAR/SEASON... pleaaasseee!!! OK? ok...I'll try to forget... but your forgiven, as you may have missed my "rule"

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
MISS B REPLIED:
11-11-2015, 10:11 AM

I have a variety of shows I like, but my favorites so far this year , in no particular order, have been Supergirl, Arrow, the Flash, Agents of Shield, Once Upon a Time, Chicago Fire, Supernatural, and Gotham. Although, Supergirl comes on at the same time as Gotham so I'm going tto have to watch repeats of Gotham to find out what's going on since Supergirl started up. Also, OUAT has been kind of boring this season so far. Emma just doesn't make a convincing Dark One

I started watching Gotham last season, but I got tired of it. Seems too much "prequel" to the Batman story. I wanted some of it, but it's been going on for too long, so I lost interest.

I haven't watched Agents of Shield yet, so may have to put that on my To Watch list

============================================

MISS B REPLIED:

11-11-2015, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by Satira Capriccio

I loved it when Kate Todd asked Gibbs what Ducky looked like when he was younger. Gibbs response was ... Illya Kuryakin.

Yep. I have to agree. Ducky did look like Illya Kuryakin when he was younger!
I nearly spit out a mouth full of water the first time I saw that episode. It was sooooo perfect

================================

LYNE SAID:

11-11-2015, 10:24 AM

I tend to stick with shows, where I really care about the characters... a good example of that is BONES... The endless "shop talk" (although LOVED the inability of Bones to relate emotionally with those around her that WERE feeling things... but I stuck with the entire series because I simply loved Bones and Seeley! And the other "pairs".... I HAD to look away from the screen during some of the "barfy" scenes of remains EVERY show, though!

and HOW could I not mention ALL the Treks?!?! I AM an Trekkie.... a very very old photo of me, I'll dare to post a link to my photo(s) here: LyneTrek
and yes, with a Bijoran earring! LOL! I was off to a Trek Convention... I have every Trek series on DVD and have re-watched many times... hard to say which is a fav, tho Enterprise was a bit boring...oh wait, I don't have that one on DVD... and while some hated Kate Mulgrew as Janeway, I felt Voyager was one of the BEST Treks....

and Dr. Who... I never could stand the cheap hokey (to me, ONLY my own opinion/reaction Who fans!!!) sets/acting of the original Who...when I TRIED it... after getting the NEW Dr. Who.. .which I LOVED... past tense... the first three doctors I thought were fantastic... I simply can't stand the current one, and won't buy those DVDs....sorry!
Some of the bad guys - the Weeping Angels for one, REALLY scared me... but the Darleks just don't do it for me... tho with a good doctor, I'll ignore the silly things... (gosh, can see I may stir up a controversy stating my preferences?!)

OH Lord LONGMIRE... A SUPER FAV, BUT AM FURIOUS IT'S NO LONGER ON DVD SINCE NETFLIX TOOK IT ON... good grief, kill me now. all I can hope for is that eventually they WILL put the rest of it on DVD.... SIGH...

I literally can't sit (my neck/back problems again) still AT my computer to watch... and no, don't have the internet downstairs for my big flatscreen TV....

I also love Chicago Fire, and Chicago PD (the second only because I still follow the characters... I HATED the bad cop from CF, but it is interesting how they have made him a sort of "good" bad cop for the spin off, right?

oh MONK... me too!! and frankly he reminded me almost too much of me.... I have a low immune system, born with it, so I'm sort of forced to BE like Monk to keep my health safe... NOT a fun way to live, believe me! But GREAT show, so funny!!

the UK Sherlock... LOVE it but it seems to be petering out!?!? I have what looks like a "sort of" season (I know, in the UK it's called a "series") called Sherlock: The Abominable Bride in my WISH LIST at Amazon... ONE disc?!?! whimper! I have seasons 1-3... such a good show!

I tried to watch Elementary but just could not get into it...

The Walking Dead... friends talk about it... but with my hate for "gore" and therefore Zombies (they really do scare me, like a childhood fear?!) I just can't watch it...

I watched Haven the first few seasons and then (for me) it seemed to go off the rails... just got TOO out there or strange...

ooo MEDIUM... good stuff, I love Patricia Arquette in anything she does (one reason I tried CSI Cyber!! - her hubby developed it, I believe!) ! Ya... sigh, how it was forced to end.

Another show I loved was In Plain Sight... really interesting... I have all 5 seasons of it... hmmm almost time to re-watch that one... I think it too ended either abruptly or weird... still lots of good hours to go back to... I watch so much TV, it helps me forget which is what, so re-watching is easy! LOL!!

Merlin and Atlantis... gave up on the Latter...didn't like all the fighting... but LOVED LOVED LOVED MERLIN!!!! (but hated that they ended it with a STUPID show or series... an alien? come on!

I would re-watch that one though...

I did get all of FRINGE... tho I didn't like it as much as both Sanctuary (anything with Amanda Tapping in it!! - which means LOVED StarGate SG1, etc.) and of course (runs to my bedroom closet that is stacked with DVDs instead of clothes to jog my memory) BABYLON 5!!!!!! Later on I tried out the NEW Battlestar Galactica and once I "let go" of the original show/characters I LOVED IT!!!! So glad I took a chance on it... very very good show, great characters!

Firefly and ANYTHING that Joss Whedon writes!!! (and if you get Firefly on DVD you'll get the missing episodes!) LOVED THE THEME MUSIC too!!!!

Warehouse 13 - loved it!

I of course, got LOST with LOST... How could I not? the best seasons were the first few...then it got pretty out there... BUT once I got it ALL on DVD, then I sat for a total binge watch through and found I could better follow the twists and turns of events and characters showing their true colors...

and last but SO NOT LEAST... Anything "superman"... but fav's are Lois & Clark, and Smallville (AFTER the first dorky monster of the week season 1)...

ok... really... I know there are more... but I forget! LOL!!

Right now I discovered National Geographic's got a show on DVD called "Unlikely Animal Friends" ... it's REALLY good... I got #2 first because I didn't know it was a "season of episodes" so I have to go back and get season 1... but in season 2 there is a DOG AND AN OWL that work with their owner to clear birds from airports... and all sorts of 'awww' real life stories! COOL SHOW!

MISS B REPLIED:

11-11-2015, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Lyne
and HOW could I not mention ALL the Treks?!?! I AM an Trekkie.... a very very old photo of me, I'll dare to post a link to my photo(s) here: LyneTrek
and yes, with a Bijoran earring! LOL! I was off to a Trek Convention... I have every Trek series on DVD and have re-watched many times... hard to say which is a fav, tho Enterprise was a bit boring...oh wait, I don't have that one on DVD... and while some hated Kate Mulgrew as Janeway, I felt Voyager was one of the BEST Treks....

I went to a Sci-Fi convention once back in 2003. A friend was going, it was at a hotel in NJ, and I met her there. There were a number of actors/actresses from popular SciFi TV shows, and I met and talked to Rene Auberjonois, who played the alien Odo on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I also remember him on a couple of episodes of The Practice, though I didn't watch that show with any regularity.

Also at that convention I met 2 of the regular actors from Babylon 5, Richard Biggs, who played Dr. Stephen Franklin, and Jason Carter, who played Ranger Marcus Cole.

==================================

11-11-2015, 02:24 PM

I didn't even make it through the first season of Gotham. I just do not like too many characters on the show. Fish Mooney being one of them. I think too this is one of those series you need to binge on because I had trouble following the plot.

Oh ... and how on earth could I have forgotten Bones!!! Or ... Pookie Noodlin Pearly-Gates Gibbons! Otherwise known as Angela Montenegro-Hodgins.

======================================

SANBIE ADDED:

11-11-2015, 02:25 PM

Oh I forgot about Bones, Castle..and Elementary

==========================================

ALISA SAID:

11-11-2015, 03:46 PM

OMG, LYNE!! Love those pictures and your Star Trek rooms!!!!! Am a major Trekker/Trekkie! Went to a convention wow - something like 30 yrs ago at the Seattle Opera House.

We watch WAY too much tv.. often watch while working, usually reruns of older all time favorites - Murder She Wrote, The Waltons, any Star Trek, MASH. Also loved Monk, Psych, West Wing, or newer things I don't have to follow too closely

We don't go out to movies at all (other than new Star Trek movies) so tv's our main source of entertainment (particularly in the long dark winter days when there aren't many free concerts and events around).

Did some binge watching of PBS shows this summer while other shows were off the air (raided ourlocal library). Enjoyed:

Hetty Wainthropp Investigates (just more light fun)
Hamish MacBeth (lots of strange characters and again, mostly lighter)
Inspector Lewis (would have gotten Inspecter Morse but I have some hearing issues and need closed captioning - couldn't follow it)
Bletchley Circle (really fascinating series that only went 2 seasons, sadly, about women who were code breakers in England during WW2)
Foyle's War (LOVE this one)

Want to at some point do the same with Murdoch Mysteries and Midsomer Mysteries

Don't have BBC so can't see Dr Who - used to watch when older ones were on PBS - I LOVED David Tennant's Doctor

Let's see, current shows..yikes..so many - a few among my faves -

We like to watch Reality type shows like Face Off, The Voice, Shark Tank, The Amazing Race, The Profit, Cold Justice, Bar Rescue, Gold Rush, Deadliest Catch.

We have Dish Network and a big hard drive so we tape everything (including movies when there are free HBO/Showtime/etc weekends) to watch later..have a big stockpile.

Favorites:

Elementary - brilliant show - Jonny Lee Miller is amazing in this
Major Crimes (I LOVED The Closer even more)
Scorpion
Madam Secretary
Sherlock (love most Sherlock Holmes stuff - and no fear, Lyne, it's not petering out - they only do a few episodes a year - actually I think it's every other year)

Also watch these:

Person of Interest
Blindspot
Criminal Minds (agree about them being too dark often, but still love the characters and stories..just wish they'd be a bit less graphic with the violence)
CSI (have seen all of them - now it's just Cyber)
Blue Bloods (but I really prefer Tom on Magnum PI :))
Quantico
Hawaii Five O
Blacklist
Stitchers
Agents of Shield (and the Carter one, too)
Legends

and others

===============================

MISS B ADDED:

11-11-2015, 03:47 PM

I did get all of FRINGE... tho I didn't like it as much as both Sanctuary (anything with Amanda Tapping in it!! - which means LOVED StarGate SG1, etc.) and of course (runs to my bedroom closet that is stacked with DVDs instead of clothes to jog my memory) BABYLON 5!!!!!! Later on I tried out the NEW Battlestar Galactica and once I "let go" of the original show/characters I LOVED IT!!!! So glad I took a chance on it... very very good show, great characters!

I don't recall if I ever caught any Fringe episodes, but I too like Amanda Tapping, so watched Sanctuary, and of course, SG1.

I loved Babylon 5, and was disappointed when they cancelled it. the new Battlestar Galactica I couldn't get into, even though I like Edward James Olmos and the rest of the cast. I guess I liked the original too much.

I didn't see all of Warehouse 13, but did like the episodes I saw. Have you seen any of The Librarians? The new season should be starting very soon. I'm going to try to watch them all this season. I've always liked John Larroquette.

MISS B ALSO ADDED:

11-11-2015, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by Satira Capriccio
I just do not like too many characters on the show. Fish Mooney being one of them.

Yes, I have to agree. She's one of the character's that finally turned me off, together with Oswald Cobblepot, better known as The Penguin. That's what I meant by too much "prequel". Meeting them is one thing, but spending so much time on them is just too much.

=======================================

KEN SAID: OR RATHER "SONGBIRD REMIX" SAID:

11-11-2015, 04:35 PM

We don't watch TV, instead are movieholics, watching a feature film every night from my vast movie library (which has everything from Edison's first film experiments to the latest Blu-ray releases). Now saying that, doesn't necessarily mean we don't watch any TV series-- we do get/watch some after they are released home videos. Among our favorites which were/are on TV are Game of Thrones, Turn: Washington's Spies, Vikings, Newsroom, Deadwood and A&E's Hornblower.

===========================================

ECLARK1984 REPLIED:

11-11-2015, 04:39 PM

EEEEK!!!! SHHHHHH!!!! Don't tell me what happens/is happening THIS YEAR/SEASON... pleaaasseee!!! OK? ok...I'll try to forget... but your forgiven, as you may have missed my "rule"

Actually, no I didn't see your rule, but how is that a spoiler? If you were watching at all last year, you had to already know that.
---------------------------------------------------

ECLARK1984 REPLIED:

11-11-2015, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Miss B
I started watching Gotham last season, but I got tired of it. Seems too much "prequel" to the Batman story. I wanted some of it, but it's been going on for too long, so I lost interest.
I haven't watched Agents of Shield yet, so may have to put that on my To Watch list.

People think Gotham is the prequel to the Batman, but its not. Its Jim Gordon's story before the Batman came along.

11-11-2015, 05:10 PM

Just finished watching the Librarians first season myself. It reminds me of both Doctor Who (the main librarian) and Warehouse 13.

Sanctuary, yes. Though it got really confusing in the last season, and I keep forgetting how it ended.

I watched Fringe, but it got close to losing me in the final seasons.

Inspector Morse, Lewis, and Endeavour, Bletchley Circle (though I never finished the second season), and Foyle's War are all great too.

Weeping Angels scare me too! I have to watch those parts though my fingers :p

Watched In Plain Sight also, just not sure I saw the last season.

Oh, and I am sooo patiently waiting for Rizzoli & Isles to come to Netflix streaming, Hulu, or Amazon Prime. I saw the first season then got locked out of all further seasons because I don't have any kind of a cable/dish subscription.

The Mysteries of Laura has grown on me. Wasn't entirely sure I liked it the first couple of episodes, but once the twins calmed down (i.e., virtually disappeared), I liked it better.

=============================================

MISS B REPLIED:

11-11-2015, 07:56 PM

People think Gotham is the prequel to the Batman, but its not. Its Jim Gordon's story before the Batman came along.

Yes he plays a large part in that series, but I got the impression, at least for this second season, that Bruce would discover the truth about his parents, and probably why they were murdered, which to me seemed like the reason for his becoming the man he did, and eventually Batman.

==================================================

LYNE REPLIED:

11-11-2015, 08:11 PM

Actually, no I didn't see your rule, but how is that a spoiler? If you were watching at all last year, you had to already know that.

well don't worry about it... I had "forgotten"... so to speak... I watch SO MUCH I tend to forget some things...so what I do (that really gives me more for my money buying DVDs) is re-watch the previous season and then watch the brand new (to me) season... ! :)) So it's like my first go round of watching is really exciting...all this input...then I watch for every detail... but ya... that was probably one thing I "wanted" to forget... will not be happy about that twist, for sure... but it will be fun to see how she works her way back to being true to herself... - NOW DON'T TELL ME THAT... GRIN!!

LYNE REPLIED:

11-11-2015, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by Songbird ReMix
We don't watch TV, instead are movieholics, watching a feature film every night from my vast movie library (which has everything from Edison's first film experiments to the latest Blu-ray releases). Now saying that, doesn't necessarily mean we don't watch any TV series-- we do get/watch some after they are released home videos. Among our favorites which were/are on TV are Game of Thrones, Turn: Washington's Spies, Vikings, Newsroom, Deadwood and A&E's Hornblower.

oooo I like Newsroom a lot! I'm giving up Vikings (tho going to do art with the M4 Viking character and clothing from RDNA in honor of the main character!!) because I particularly liked that one leading man...he is SO "Viking like"! I am a "chick" after all! LOL!

ECLARK1894 REPLIED:

11-11-2015, 08:19 PM

well don't worry about it... I had "forgotten"... so to speak... I watch SO MUCH I tend to forget some things...so what I do (that really gives me more for my money buying DVDs) is re-watch the previous season and then watch the brand new (to me) season... ! :)) So it's like my first go round of watching is really exciting...all this input...then I watch for every detail... but ya... that was probably one thing I "wanted" to forget... will not be happy about that twist, for sure... but it will be fun to see how she works her way back to being true to herself... - NOW DON'T TELL ME THAT... GRIN!!

I'll add this and then stop. Something that's really bugging me about this show is how some of the villains are being shown as heroes, while some heroes are being shown to have dark sides.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
11-11-2015, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by Miss B
Yes he plays a large part in that series, but I got the impression, at least for this second season, that Bruce would discover the truth about his parents, and probably why they were murdered, which to me seemed like the reason for his becoming the man he did, and eventually Batman.

Its always possible that the show creators will change some things around to give the show a twist, but You also have to remember that a lot of villains or their predecessors are being shown getting their start now like Penguin, Catwoman and Riddler. But the costumed villains won't show up until Batman does. And Bruce does find the man who killed his parents eventually, but not until after he' becomes Batman.

=======================================

MISS B ADDED:

11-11-2015, 09:31 PM

Batman was always one of my favorite comic series, so I was really looking forward to Gotham so I could get to know the characters as they grew into the adults they were in the comics. I'm just not as pleased with it as I thought I would be.

=============================================

SKYLAB SAID:

11-12-2015, 12:55 AM

Lyne, great Trek outfit, you were absolutely a dedicated Trekkie! I still enjoy watching the Trek movies.

Alisa, sounds like you do TV like I do...while doing something else. That's the advantage of familiar reruns, you can follow the plot while eyes are on the computer monitor.

==========================================================

LYNE SAID:

11-12-2015, 09:32 AM

about villains that are not all bad, and heros who are not all good... I've noticed that... in just a few shows... can't think of the specific one....hmmm a little bit in FLASHPOINT... where we learn WHY a person does "bad things".... but that's not really the way I'm thinking of.... more like shows that have writers that are SO good, we see all the characters simply as FLAWED HUMAN BEINGS...so they can be "bad" for a reason...oh one good one is actually a MOVIE... Disney's newest version of Maleficent! It (to me) was SUCH a great perspective of this character- gave her REASONS for acting/being who she is, and how she evolves! Another might be on Chicago PD where "Hank Voight" played by Jasen Beghe.... he's SUCH a bad guy on Chicago Fire, but in the spin off show, I feel the writing is pretty good for showing more of his motivations, and the "shades of grey" of his personality....more REALISTIC of us human beings, I feel.

But it does take really good writing to make this work.

===================================================

ALISA REPLIED:

11-12-2015, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by skylab

Lyne, great Trek outfit, you were absolutely a dedicated Trekkie! I still enjoy watching the Trek movies.

Alisa, sounds like you do TV like I do...while doing something else. That's the advantage of familiar reruns, you can follow the plot while eyes are on the computer monitor.

Exactly, Sky . And I can't always focus on both, so if I miss a little something on the tv, no big deal if I already know the story .

=========================================================

MISS B AGREED:

11-12-2015, 10:29 AM

Absolutely!!!

======================================================

LYNE SAID:

11-13-2015, 09:26 AM

I have a friend who does art while "watching" TV... so she avoids shows with too many characters, etc... I prefer to WATCH and soak up every aspect of TV, especially if say, in a murder mystery there are visual clues, etc... or (NOT my favorite device) English words on screen for a character speaking a foreign language... Living as I do, and also LOVING the psychology of humanity, I'm quite affected by TV... for example how HARD a show set in the 50's affected me (see my latest blog, it's pretty heavy!) such as Agent Carter... I was NOT prepared for what happened as I sat for my first viewing of season 1 on DVD....

Anyway, for those not wanting to delve into the heavier aspects of TV/life...here's another question:

Have you ever been inspired to do an art piece from watching a particular TV series (or movie) ?

I have, myself... I mentioned Vikings...and for some reason I'm drawn to the look/culture (NOT the violence!!) and so I bought the M4 character, hair and clothes from RDNA that are all obviously inspired by the show! I so want to do a portrait of a Viking warrior! And obviously, Once Upon A Time inspired my Dawn- Evil Queen portrait, as well as my Prince Charming and Snow on a horse image...

======================================================

SKYLAB REPLIED

11-13-2015, 10:01 AM

Most if not all of my Hein and Doc characters were influenced by TV or movies, partly because I thought people could relate to them, and partly because it was just plain fun to try to achieve some sort of comical likeness...as with Doc Spock and Magnhein :D

================================================

LYNE REPLIED:

11-13-2015, 10:13 AM

ROFL!! REALLY FUN!! Nicely done!

==========================================================

END ORIGINAL TRANSCRIPT. Now go for it folks!

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Second season of Galavant just ended. OMGosh. At first, I thought it was going to be entirely too dorky. But by mid first season, I was hooked. It's definitely a campy little musical, each episode is a half hour. But, the acting is superb, and the characters grow and change and sometimes ... the bad guys become good guys.

Contrary to what I thought from watching Psych ... Timothy Omundson is one sexy looking dude :D

But then, I have always liked a guy in a beard and long hair.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
oh YAY! FIRST NEW POST! LOL!! HUGE THANKS TO ALISA for helping me get this thread all posted here from my copy of the original .... yayayay!

I'm shopping now....but will come back here soon! :)

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Galavant is the MUSICAL series, right? I just can't get into a musical like this... so have to pass... :/

I've 'had' to watch a few movies during the new DVD dry spell.... and I have to say that The Martian is FANTASTIC (even if as a "nasa nut" I feel a few things are not quite right) and back on earth Robert Redford and Nick Nolte in A WALK IN THE WOODS is both hysterical and beautiful!!!!!!

oh I did re-watch the entire series Hill Street Blues... one of the first character driven procedurals and it SO holds up over time... it's funny, gritty, and I CARED so much for each person...

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Robert Redford and Nick Nolte? Now there's an interesting pair-up. Both are excellent actors. I'll have to check out that movie.

skylab

Esteemed
Good to see your TV show thread back, Lyne :) You can add to the list of favorites, my recent fascination with House MD reruns on Women's Entertainment and Esquire. He's incredibly obnoxious, but the plots are intriguing, and some of the situations he and his team get themselves into are not far from what really has happened to the health care profession, including health insurance and legal issues. House also gets himself into some moral struggles...flaunting a don't care attitude, but occasionally does the right thing, in secret, to preserve his veneer of coldness. It's this part of the show I enjoy the most, making his typical obnoxious delivery come across as amusing.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, Hugh Laurie is an amazing actor. Actually, the whole cast on that show is very good. I just can't watch more than 2 or 3 episodes in a row, or his obnoxious attitude turns me off.

skylab

Esteemed
I've heard others say the same thing...I worked in health care for 30 years, so for me, it's like memory lane...haha :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I missed this thread the first time round so here tis my list:
The Vampire Diaries
The Originals(Yes I have a thing for vampires dating back to Buffy which is one of my all time favourites.)
Grimm
Agents of Shield
Agent Carter
NCIS
Criminal Minds
Midsomer Murders
Touch of Frost
Warehouse 13
Sleepy Hollow
Some older ones that rate a mention
Fringe
Sanctuary
Primeval
John Deed and George Gently....I was surprised to realise recently that Martin Shaw was in the Professionals which dates back to the late seventies. My brother in law was getting rid of some of his dvd's and the Professionals were there and I've been enjoying rewatching them very politically incorrect by today's standards though.
Cadfael

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
I watch very little tv, only when I'm ashore housesitting and only when I can drag myself away from the computer. But here's my list of what I do watch and like.
Sherlock (the Abominable Bride was fab)
NCIS
Bones
CSI
Cold Case
Vera
Bletchley Circle
Highlander
New Tricks
Being Human (Uk)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
My daughter loves Highlander...

I liked the original New Tricks but there have been a lot of changes to the characters in the more recent ones.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Highlander is still being shown? I have every episode on video tape, that's how long ago I used to watch that show.

Lorraine

Yes, it's the original New Tricks I like too. Not interested since Sandra left.

And I just luuurve Adrian Paul in Highlander. I have his Highlander movies and now I want all the series too!

Miss B

CV-BEE
And I just luuurve Adrian Paul in Highlander.
I had such a crush on him back in the 90s when I was watching and taping the show. I only liked the first 2 movies, especially the one Sean Connery was in . . . I think the second one, or was he in both the first and second. ~shrug~

I didn't care for the ones made after the show went off the air here.

Lorraine

I still have a crush on him, Miss B, him and Aidan Turner. My son tells me I only like pretty boys so I am apparently a 'lookist' ;)