• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What Is Your Favorite TV Show?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Did anyone watch the westerns? Cheyenne with Clint Walker, Maverick, Sugarfoot, Have Gun Will Travel, Wagon Train?
Yes I watched Maverick, Have Gun Will Travel, Wagon Train, and my all time favorite . . . Gunsmoke! :) I was a huge fan of western TV shows and movies back in those days.

eclark1894

Visionary
My big sister was a Western fanatic. Her favorites were Gunsmoke, Bonanza, High Chapparal, The Big Valley and The Virginian. She was also into dramas. She loved The Fugitive and Perry Mason.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhh, I loved The Fugitive and Perry Mason too. I think Perry Mason got me started on reading murder mystery books.

I don't recall if I watched The Virginian and High Chapparal regularly, but I did watch Bonanza and The Big Valley.

eclark1894

Visionary
I actually watched a lot of the shows she did, but as I said, I was like six, so I didn't really know what was going on in the shows. For some reason I seem to remember The Flintstones being an awful lot like The Honeymooners. I found out later that They were based on the Honeymooners. oR maybe I just finally drew the connection when I was around 13 or so.

eclark1894

Visionary
I just had a weird thought, but I kind of wish I'd had it when I was still working. I'd like to find a laugh track machine, hook it it up and take it to work with me. Then I'd say hello to everyone and turn the machine on to applause and cheers like a studio audience. I'd say something smart, then turn on the laughter. I'd kinda like to see the faces of my co-workers when that happens. I was watching the Friends Reunion on HBO Max the other night and just realized that that's been the opening showformula for a tv show sitcom filmed before an audience now since at least "Happy Days" and "Laverne and Shirley". :D

eclark1894

Visionary
HBO Max is showing all of the Harry Potter movies this month, so I was watching the Sorcerer's Stone, and it suddenly dawned on me that with the exception of Harry Potter, no one in the story seemed to have a real last name. Okay then, at least a recognizable one from an American perspective. I suppose Longbottom would work, but barely. Of course, not counting indian, Chinese or hispanic last names, most American last names actually come from whatever type of tradework the husband usually did.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
They pretty much all have last names. Not sure why you'd expect them to be "recognizable from an American perspective" (though I'm not actually sure what you mean by that - they're certainly recognizable to me). Some are actually referred to BY their last names (Crabbe, Hagrid, and Dumbledore, as examples)

List of Harry Potter characters - Wikipedia

I also have to question the notion that "most" American last names (assuming you could even decide which last names are specifically "American") come from someone's trade work. I'd go with "some", but not "most" :)

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
They pretty much all have last names. Not sure why you'd expect them to be "recognizable from an American perspective" (though I'm not actually sure what you mean by that - they're certainly recognizable to me). Some are actually referred to BY their last names (Crabbe, Hagrid, and Dumbledore, as examples)

I also have to question the notion that "most" American last names (assuming you could even decide which last names are specifically "American") come from someone's trade work. I'd go with "some", but not "most" :)
I think I heard somewhere that hundreds of years ago last names came from someone's occupation. Like Chris the blacksmith is clearer than just plain Chris and distinguishes him from Chris the baker. Don't think it would apply anymore though.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I think I heard somewhere that hundreds of years ago last names came from someone's occupation. Like Chris the blacksmith is clearer than just plain Chris and distinguishes him from Chris the baker. Don't think it would apply anymore though.
But those aren't really stating them as "last names". I doubt the first one's name was Chris Blacksmith, and the second Chris Baker, though both those sound fairly realistic to me. Certainly Baker is a common last name now-a-days. Whether it's because the family a century or two ago adopted the last name because they were bakers, I suppose that's possible.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
It was a European tradition, which includes the Brittains, in centuries past to draw last names from the common occupation in the native language, or through parentage. This is most recognizable to English speakers in English names but one must also account for the changes to dialects and meaning. For example a metal worker may have had the last name Smith, but more commonly would have had Ferris (Iron worker or Blacksmith), Thatcher would be common to a roofer. Lords and nobles, I am taken to understand, either had already established family names, or took their family names from the lands and title4s they held. Another common action was to refer to someone as their father's son, so to distinguish Chris from Chris you would ask for Chris Robin's Son or Chris Alex's Son.
There is much more to it than this, but this is the gist of it.

Last edited:

eclark1894

Visionary

First, I have to admit I was wrong, I read over your list and saw that there were some "proper" last names. I didn't mean that the characters didn't have a last name, just that the names sounded "made up". Such as Dumbledore, Dursley, Hufflepuff, Slytherin, Ravensclaw, Goyle, Tonks and Hagrid. I hadn't thought about Black, Bell, Lockhart, or Johnson.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Well, it IS Fantasy, so I wouldn't expect them all to have names you'd see anywhere, right?

Big Harry Potter fan here - both the books and the movies :)

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, it IS Fantasy, so I wouldn't expect them all to have names you'd see anywhere, right?

Big Harry Potter fan here - both the books and the movies :)
Honestly, when i first heard them, I thought they were supposed to be Wizard last names. But then, I noticed even the Dursleys last name sounded made up.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Remember though, the author is not American, but British.

Though these are rare or possibly extinct names in the British Isles, Surnames in Harry Potter aren't necessarily all that unbelievable after all.

English
  • Birdwhistle/Birdwistle/Birdwhistell/Birtwhistl/Burtwhistle
  • Berrycloth
  • Bread
  • Bythesea/Bytheseashore
  • Culpepper
  • Dankworth
  • Fernsby
  • Gastrell
  • Relish
  • Sallow
  • Spinster
  • Tumbler
  • Villin/Villan

Welsh
  • Ajax
  • Edevane
  • Miracle

Scottish
  • Loughty
  • MacCaa
  • MacQuoid
  • Slora
Dursley is a town in Gloucestershire, so not so strange that it could be a last name. (JK Rowling was born in Yate which is near Dursley.)
Dumbledore seems to be an old English name that meant Bumblebee.

People with the surname Snape
  • Andrew Snape (1675–1742), headmaster of Eton College
  • Jack Snape, half of the electropop duo To My Boy
  • Jeremy Snape (born 1973), English cricketer
  • Martin Snape (1852–1930), English painter
  • Maurice Snape (1923–1992), English cricketer
  • Paul Snape, Butler University soccer head coach
  • Peter Snape (born 1942), British politician and Baron Snape
  • Steve Snape (born 1963), English former rugby league footballer

Anyway, that's a start of whether Potter surnames are possibly real, but it does appear other "weird" Potter surnames may be actual real names (or at the very least, place names)

eclark1894

Visionary
I googled the following information about last names in Harry Potter. As I said, I knew that all that characters had last names, I just doubted that they were "real". Being a writer myself, I even know that authors often make up names. However, I have to admit that not being English myself, to me the last names of some of the characters sounded as if Rowling just made them up out of thin air.

"Both "Dudley" and "Dursley" are the names of areas in England — Rowling got them by looking at a map. "The surname 'Dursley' was taken from the eponymous town in Gloucestershire, which is not very far from where I was born," Rowling wrote on Pottermore."

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
I googled the following information about last names in Harry Potter. As I said, I knew that all that characters had last names, I just doubted that they were "real". Being a writer myself, I even know that authors often make up names. However, I have to admit that not being English myself, to me the last names of some of the characters sounded as if Rowling just made them up out of thin air.

"Both "Dudley" and "Dursley" are the names of areas in England — Rowling got them by looking at a map. "The surname 'Dursley' was taken from the eponymous town in Gloucestershire, which is not very far from where I was born," Rowling wrote on Pottermore."
The first record of the last name "Dursley" was in 1669.. so a real last name .
The derivation is from an Old English personal name 'Deorsige'
Dudley, first record dates from 1528 .. derivation from "Dudelei" almost 1000 years old name.
Tonks, 1603 ... delivered from the name "Thomas "

Dumbledore, Hufflepuff, Slytherin, Ravensclaw, Goyle and Hagrid , pure fantasy names as no historical records shows anything .
Goyle was probably made up from Boyle surname.