• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What Is Your Favorite TV Show?

eclark1894

Visionary
I recognize that Dudley is a real name. I've heard it a lot growing up with cartoons such as Dudley Doo-right, and the actor Dudley Moore. But I was only referring to the surnames or last names of the characters.

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
I recognize that Dudley is a real name. I've heard it a lot growing up with cartoons such as Dudley Doo-right, and the actor Dudley Moore. But I was only referring to the surnames or last names of the characters.
Dudley is a real surname .. I listed only surnames not names ..

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I am trying to understand why it would be any kind of issue for names that Rowling did make up out of thin air? It seems like you make that out to be a bad thing, but has been part and parcel of fiction literature of all genres for far longer than I have been alive - not just fantasy or science fiction literature. It is a long existing, well accepted and used Literary practice. I do it all the time myself, thoug I often try to make up names that are more realistic sounding than...say... Starkiller, or Skywalker, or Darkheart, or Stormcrow, etc... Though sometimes I do very much go with an obvious fake name too.

eclark1894

Visionary
I am trying to understand why it would be any kind of issue for names that Rowling did make up out of thin air? It seems like you make that out to be a bad thing, but has been part and parcel of fiction literature of all genres for far longer than I have been alive - not just fantasy or science fiction literature. It is a long existing, well accepted and used Literary practice. I do it all the time myself, thoug I often try to make up names that are more realistic sounding than...say... Starkiller, or Skywalker, or Darkheart, or Stormcrow, etc... Though sometimes I do very much go with an obvious fake name too.
No one but you said that it was an issue. I just said it was something I noticed.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
No one but you said that it was an issue. I just said it was something I noticed.
Ok, no - reading over the posts you seemed to have issue at the last names in harry potter. Why else focus in on how made up they sound? buyt whatever, I am not having it turned on me when I just wanted to know why the fuss over the names. Good Day.

eclark1894

Visionary
You may not remember a show called "The Mod Squad". It premiered in 1968, I was ten years old, but for some reason it was one of my favorite shows at that time. I like the premise and the tag line, "One white, one black, and one blonde". Looking back, I remember I always thought it was a precursor for shows like "21 Jump Street" . In fact looking back, and based on the plot and premise of both shows, I wouldn't be surprised if "21 Jump Street" wasn't based on "The Mod Squad". I bring all this up because I just found out that Linc, (Clarence Williams III) passed away four days ago at the age of 81. Right on, brother!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I bring all this up because I just found out that Linc, (Clarence Williams III) passed away four days ago at the age of 81. Right on, brother!
Yes, I saw that mentioned in the NY Times a couple/three days ago, and recognized his name immediately.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Was it used a surname? The only time I heard it was in regards to Harry's cousin. And it was his first name. Dudley Dursley. :)
I checked if the surnames you listed was made up or not, so I listed the one that was not made up , and are actually a real surnames , if they were used in Harry P as names or surnames I don't know as I never read the books or watched the movies , but some of them really exist on the records today and some were just made up by the author . But the really question is, does it really matter? especially when talking about fictional literature with made up characters and events.

eclark1894

Visionary
I checked if the surnames you listed was made up or not, so I listed the one that was not made up , and are actually a real surnames , if they were used in Harry P as names or surnames I don't know as I never read the books or watched the movies , but some of them really exist on the records today and some were just made up by the author . But the really question is, does it really matter? especially when talking about fictional literature with made up characters and events.
Look, it does matter to some people. I never said it mattered though. I said it was something I noticed, and that it sounded made up. However, you said we were talking about fictional characters and events. True. But look at Star Trek, fictional through and through, but it inspired people to invent things, like the flip phone, holograms, DNA testers, Warp Drive, and the electro cardiogram. In fact, I kind of wish I had been more of an inventor. I've had this idea of how to bring Star Trek's sick bay bio beds into real life. And thing is, it can be mostly done with things that already exist.

Star Trek's not the only show that's made me think, or the only fictional storyline that I've learned something from. I first learned a what a nova was from reading a Superman comic book. Remember the movie Total Recall? We now have self driven cars. And all I ever said was the names in Harry Potter sounded made up.

But look, it wasn't that important a detail. Let's drop it, okay?

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Look, it does matter to some people. I never said it mattered though. I said it was something I noticed, and that it sounded made up. However, you said we were talking about fictional characters and events. True. But look at Star Trek, fictional through and through, but it inspired people to invent things, like the flip phone, holograms, DNA testers, Warp Drive, and the electro cardiogram. In fact, I kind of wish I had been more of an inventor. I've had this idea of how to bring Star Trek's sick bay bio beds into real life. And thing is, it can be mostly done with things that already exist.

Star Trek's not the only show that's made me think, or the only fictional storyline that I've learned something from. I first learned a what a nova was from reading a Superman comic book. Remember the movie Total Recall? We now have self driven cars. And all I ever said was the names in Harry Potter sounded made up.

But look, it wasn't that important a detail. Let's drop it, okay?
I don't expecting magic sticks gonna be an invention soon lol

but I agree about other movies , they often crate something that become a reality later.
Often they take the stuff from actual theories.

I was curious to see if the names was real or not , not big deal for me here

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Speaking of things from movies that were fiction (or science fiction) that have come to pass in my lifetime... In the Movie The Running Man there was a sequence where they map a purely digital actor extrapolated from footage over a stand in to fake a death - in the late pure 80s science fiction in terms of how they show it applied. Fast foreward to 2009 and in Terminator Salvation you have a purely digital young Arnold Schwarzenegger walk off the T-800 assembly line and fight. Since then the mapping of Digital Actors over stand ins has become not only prominent in films (the newest Star Wars trilogy uses it a lot) but controversial.

On the other hand, so many things we were promised, that looked feasible and like they would come to pass, have just vanished (Space Colonies, a moon base, mars colonization, the U.S. Space Program, Flying Cars, electric or nuclear cars, home droids and robots... though we have close to the last one but not as depicted in pop culture sci-fi).

DanaTA

Distinguished
We have electic cars! In fact, there's a Hummer model that is pure electic, and has 1,000 horsepower! It costs as much as a small house, but it's real. Now, nuclear cars, not so much. And to be honest, the way I see people driving today, I wouldn't want them to have flying cars! We wouldn't be safe in the air or on the ground!

Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
Speaking of things from movies that were fiction (or science fiction) that have come to pass in my lifetime... In the Movie The Running Man there was a sequence where they map a purely digital actor extrapolated from footage over a stand in to fake a death - in the late pure 80s science fiction in terms of how they show it applied. Fast foreward to 2009 and in Terminator Salvation you have a purely digital young Arnold Schwarzenegger walk off the T-800 assembly line and fight. Since then the mapping of Digital Actors over stand ins has become not only prominent in films (the newest Star Wars trilogy uses it a lot) but controversial.

On the other hand, so many things we were promised, that looked feasible and like they would come to pass, have just vanished (Space Colonies, a moon base, mars colonization, the U.S. Space Program, Flying Cars, electric or nuclear cars, home droids and robots... though we have close to the last one but not as depicted in pop culture sci-fi).
Uh, actually... about that flying car. It may not be the Jetsons, or a flying Delorean but...

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
It's not available for the public at large - which is what I am referring to. There are other variations of flying cars dating back to the late 70's, but there are no flying cars in mass production for the consumer market. We also have some electric cars, but not in the sort of widespread public use depicted in popular scifi, and don't even get me started on bullet trains and monorails (some nations have public monorails, but not the U.S. except maybe in a few cities and on small scale)

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
...and what about personal use jetpacks? Where's my jetpack? Why can't I find jetpack parking? It's 2121, I want my robot servant to make me coffee before I jetpack off to Venus for a day on the beach.