• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What Is Your Favorite TV Show?

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I tried to Watch Handmaiden's tale, but did not care for it. I am not surprised as I did not like the book when it was forced reading in one of my English classes (never actively tried to finish the book). I do not know how much the show differs from the novel, but from what I recall in the novel it was a very oppressive, militaristic, almost Nazi like society. While it mainly focused on the plight of one girl and the cruel treatment of women (mainly lower class women who were forced into these programs the book focused on) there were classes and the treatment of all people in the lowest class was tantamount to how Egyptians treated slaves biblically. Granted, I only made it half way through episode 1, and my memory of the book is fuzzy and incomplete (over 30 years ago).

A friend of mine kept pushing me to check out the Last Kingdom. It is vaguely reminiscent of Vikings to me (some of the same historical figures byt different telling of events). While it wasn't bad, some aspects got repetitive to me and overall I felt like at times it was trying to be Vikings and other times Game of Thrones, while not being either. It was good for killing time - others might like it better.

I am unsure how to feel about the upcoming Foundation series. I loved the novels, except for Prelude (originally written by a different author with Isaac Asimov's endorsement, later changed to be Ghost Written by Isaac Asimov). Sadly in the previews I have seen it seems the majority of what is being done is from Prelude to Foundation.

We all are. I'll be honest, I never really enjoyed the Gumdam series. I watched Starblazers, but that was about it. I think Pluto TV on Roku still has Starblazers and maybe a Gumdam or two, though. And Pluto is at least free.
I am a huge fan of Starblazers and its origin Uchuu Senkan Yamato, as well as Battle of the Planets (a/k/a/ Science Ninja Team Gatchaman) These along with Star Wars exposed me to science fiction at a very young age and I have been a lost dreamer ever since. If they would ever release R1 DVDs of Starblazers or Yamato I would own them in a heartbeat (same for the original Macross Saga... I missed out on a chance to get some in 2003/4 when Tatsunoko/Studio Nu released remastered region 1/2 DVD's with subs before HG got an injunction baring the sale in North America).

eclark1894

Visionary
I didn't know whether to post this here or not because I don't want anyone to think I'm advertising which I'm not. But since the subject of streaming came up, and we were talking about some of our favorite tv shows, I thought everyone might like to know about Tubi,tv. It's a free streaming service on Roku, Android, Amazon and Apple tv that I know of. It's 100% free and has classic tv shows and cartoons. While the movies and shows are good, my only problem is that it tends to be organized a little wonky or weird. It has different categories for the movies and shows like Thriller, Sci-fi, Comedy, Black Cinema, etc. but it's all a hodgepodge that you have to scroll through. If you do know what you're looking for though, you can search. And as of now, I haven't been able to find out where to go and find out what's being offered on the service. This Saturday, just for old times sake, I got up early and watched Sky King. Used to be a favorite on Saturday mornings for me, right after Roy Rogers.

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, I have to take back something I said before. I did find a webpage where it appears you can browse to see what movies show and cartoons are currently play on Tubi. It's Tubitv.com. You can register and sign in. As far as i know, it's free, and not required. But there is an ask for Birthdate as they want to keep kids out, I guess. I always thought that was kinda stupid. Kids are kind of smart these day, so they know all you have to do is figure out what date will make you older than 18.

eclark1894

Visionary
Anybody Remember Battlestar Galactica, the original series? I found the entire series on Tubitv, and I'm in heaven. Ironically, I loved the original series except for the first two episodes when the colonists begin their journey. Too much stupidity, but I liked the Cylons. I detested the remake. They made Starbuck a woman, I barely even remember if there was a Boomer. I'm NOT sorry that they got rid of Boxy and that frackin' dagget! My only real dislike was they basically for some reason made the Cylons human. Why?

DanaTA

Distinguished
I have a special DVD boxed set of the original Battlestar Galactica...it looks like a Cylon head, with one of those plastic things for the "eye" that reflects at different angles, so it can look like the red beam is moving. However, I really liked the remake with Edward James Olmos! It was an intricately woven story and the storytelling, acting and graphics rivaled Babylon 5 and DS9, and very surprising at the end!

Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
I have a special DVD boxed set of the original Battlestar Galactica...it looks like a Cylon head, with one of those plastic things for the "eye" that reflects at different angles, so it can look like the red beam is moving. However, I really liked the remake with Edward James Olmos! It was an intricately woven story and the storytelling, acting and graphics rivaled Babylon 5 and DS9, and very surprising at the end!

Dana
Never made it to the end.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I tried to Watch Handmaiden's tale, but did not care for it. I am not surprised as I did not like the book when it was forced reading in one of my English classes (never actively tried to finish the book). I do not know how much the show differs from the novel, but from what I recall in the novel it was a very oppressive, militaristic, almost Nazi like society. While it mainly focused on the plight of one girl and the cruel treatment of women (mainly lower class women who were forced into these programs the book focused on) there were classes and the treatment of all people in the lowest class was tantamount to how Egyptians treated slaves biblically. Granted, I only made it half way through episode 1, and my memory of the book is fuzzy and incomplete (over 30 years ago).

A friend of mine kept pushing me to check out the Last Kingdom. It is vaguely reminiscent of Vikings to me (some of the same historical figures byt different telling of events). While it wasn't bad, some aspects got repetitive to me and overall I felt like at times it was trying to be Vikings and other times Game of Thrones, while not being either. It was good for killing time - others might like it better.

I am unsure how to feel about the upcoming Foundation series. I loved the novels, except for Prelude (originally written by a different author with Isaac Asimov's endorsement, later changed to be Ghost Written by Isaac Asimov). Sadly in the previews I have seen it seems the majority of what is being done is from Prelude to Foundation.

I am a huge fan of Starblazers and its origin Uchuu Senkan Yamato, as well as Battle of the Planets (a/k/a/ Science Ninja Team Gatchaman) These along with Star Wars exposed me to science fiction at a very young age and I have been a lost dreamer ever since. If they would ever release R1 DVDs of Starblazers or Yamato I would own them in a heartbeat (same for the original Macross Saga... I missed out on a chance to get some in 2003/4 when Tatsunoko/Studio Nu released remastered region 1/2 DVD's with subs before HG got an injunction baring the sale in North America).
I loved the original Foundation series. I was disappointed when he changed his writing style to fit with what was more popular at the time. Foundation was written in thoughts not actions,

Don't know how they will do the Foundation movie. Hope it translates to film better than Dune. Dune needed a much much longer format to get all the detail in.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
The Foundation books are my favorite series of books. Isaac Asimov is one of my 3 favorite authors; Tony Hillerman for murder mysteries, Isaac Asimov for Sci-Fi, and Robert Ludlum for Spy novels.

There were actually 2 Prelude books, and the ones I read were by Isaac Asimov. The original books he wrote were published in magazines, and then his publisher talked him into making novels out of them for sale as books, but they were short stories, so there were 2 or 3 in each book.

I happened to like the Preludes because I found they set up the story, whereas in Isaac's original stories, the main character in the Preludes dies soon, so the Preludes give you the story of how he got to where he was in the original story.

The only book I was slightly disappointed in was the last in the series where they get back to Earth. I felt like it was an add-on just to finish it off. It didn't capture me like all the other books did.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
If y'all have Amazon Prime you can watch Loudermilk. It's BRILLIANT. Funny and touching. It's about a recovering alcoholic that runs a recovery program out of a church. The actor that plays the "Father" is a VERY familiar actor to me. If your a fan of American Horror Story and liked the Freak Show season the guy with the little arms and regular hands that was all tattooed in that season is a part of the Loudermilk show. I like this actor! EVERYONE on this show regardless if they are annoying or lovable or a little of both are excellent in their roles. There are three seasons and it's got renewed for a 4th season.

Amazon.com

eclark1894

Visionary
There were actually 4 variety shows back then that I remember watching every week, Ed Sullivan, which were on Sunday nights, I don't remember the network, but I think it was CBS. Then there was Red Skelton, which was on Tuesday Nights, and Jackie Gleason, and Carol Burnett. I even remember one Tuesday, we had to go to a PTA meeting at the community center. When we got back we turned on the TV to watch Red Skelton and the news was telling us there had been an earth quake. Didn't feel a thing myself.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh I remember those other shows as well, though I didn't watch Red Skelton much, but did watch Jackie Gleason and Carol Burnett.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Went to grandma's every Sunday and we all watched Ed Sullivan, Bonanza, Mission Impossible ( not all at the same time, but all on a Sunday at one point). Red Skelton was great. Watched that and Carol Burnett during the week. Great fun. Tim Conway and the others sometimes couldn't hold a straight face. The Dentist skit was so funny!

Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
Speaking of Sunday nights, I remember watching at least two shows on that night. One of them was Ed Sullivan, I barely remember but I think I saw Elvis on that show, The Beatles and The Jackson Five. The other show I remember was, THE F. B. I. I found out recently that the man who played on that show , Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. , also voiced Alfred, the butler on the Batman Animated show. And one more thing., his daughter, Stephanie Zimbalist, also played on another of my favorite shows, Remington Steele.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh, and my favorite show with her father, Efrem Zimbalist, Jr., was 77 Sunset Strip.