• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Upcoming Operation

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
As Pen says, glad you are finally getting scheduled and all that. I too wish you a speedy recovery.

Faery, you have a hiatal hernia, right? Rae, is yours also a hiatal hernia or an intestinal hernia?

My hiatal hernia was diagnosed when I was in my 30s after being prescribed muscle relaxants for whiplash after a car accident. Needless to say, muscle relaxants don't just affect the area that muscle that needs to be relaxed, but all muscles. It took months and months to get things under control after only a few weeks of being on muscle relaxants. I avoid them now.

In most cases, a hiatal hernia doesn't cause problems, and most people with one aren't even aware of it. About half the population over 50 has or has developed a hiatal hernia. It's more common with women than it is with men too.

Even when a hiatal hernia causes problems, it doesn't generally require surgery. However, being overweight does worsen it ... as does pregnancy. The hiatus is the opening in the diaphragm which the esophagus passes through and attaches to your stomach below the hiatus. This is supposed to keep stomach acids in your stomach instead of splashing the esophagus. The stomach is built to withstand stomach acid, while the esophagus is not.

With a hiatal hernia, the muscle is weakened, allowing the upper part of the stomach to bulge up through the opening. Which of course, means the esophagus is getting doused with stomach acids, which leads to things like heartburn, belching, blah, blah, blah. In rarer cases, the stomach remains above the hiatus, which can cause additional problems which may need surgery. Most treatments revolve around relieving the symptoms (heartburn, acid reflux, etc.) Smaller, more frequent meals instead of large meals, eat slowly instead of bolting your food, avoid or change how you prepare those foods that trigger heartburn (could be chocolate, onions, spicy foods, citrus fruits and tomato-based foods, coffee/tea/alcohol), use antacids or medications to reduce acid, elevate the head of the bed and avoid lying down after eating.

For those of us who are overweight, the best treatment is losing weight. Uh huh. We all know how easy (and well) that works. I lost sooo much weight during that year after the accident. Not eating was the only thing that kept the heartburn under control, so I sorta kinda ... barely ate for months. But of course, after more than five years of keeping the weight off, it started creeping back. Didn't help that the medications I was on for several years for headaches and migraines caused weight gain. I found what helps to get the symptoms under control again is to drink plenty of water. Something I should do anyway, but I tend to forget ... and probably one reason I have flareups so often. Keeping something in your stomach does help ... which is why drinking sufficient water helps so much.

My doctor wasn't very good at explaining to me what a hiatal hernia was. In fact, he just said, "you have a hiatal hernia," with little to no explanation as to what it was, or that it was something I'd probably had for a long time (probably at least since I had been pregnant in my 20s since I had constant heartburn after the sixth month), and I would always have it. Nor did he explain how to live with it. Sooo ... I was quite surprised when years later, I went through a bunch of tests again here in Philadelphia because of stomach problems ... only to be told I had a hiatal hernia. Again ... the doctors rather skipped over the explanations and how to live with it ... other than prescribing Prevacid.

Fortunately, we now have access to things like webmd.com and mayoclinic.org.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
haha GG, thank you for my pink pony!

Ahh Satira, yes mine is intestinal, I have several loops of bowl outside of where it should be and a relatively small hole so greater chance of a strangulation. I had my Gallblader out approx 10 years ago so then then its from that. Big difference between a hernias.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Adding my prayers to this thread. Maybe with the chance to rest, you can catch up on some things that you've wanted to for a while. *hugs*

Me195

Extraordinary
If a pink pony will help then

ForRae.png

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Oh, now that looks good enough to eat ;)

Welcome to the hive, Me195!

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thank you Me195! All my fave things (except gingerbread but my hubby can have that since its his fave) and a Cotton Candy Pony to top it all off :p