• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
It makes it more interesting, rather than a straight on view, if you know what I mean.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
It makes it more interesting, rather than a straight on view, if you know what I mean.
Yeah I do, adds a bit more "story" to what would otherwise be just a character study.
Or at least that was what I was trying for lol

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
A frame from an animation I did with Dawn in iClone. It's Dawn with "Body Type-2" on the left, "Body Type-6" in the middle, and Ayaka from CC3 on the right. Full story [HERE].

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
A couple of Dawns looking at postcards at a recent seaside holiday. A poor HW kitty trying not to get ran over by #Stezza's FJ Holden (Dusk is driving said Ute) and even the HW dog is in there but hard to see, he's trying to steal an ice-cream

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
A couple of Dawns looking at postcards at a recent seaside holiday. A poor HW kitty trying not to get ran over by #Stezza's FJ Holden (Dusk is driving said Ute) and even the HW dog is in there but hard to see, he's trying to steal an ice-cream

Darn, I have looked everywhere, and I couldn't find doggy. It must be really hard to see. Where is it?

This is Dawn rendered in Poser with Superfly.

CuteyTooney_1200.jpg

quietrob

Extraordinary
@Rae134 I saw him right away but wouldn't have seen him if you'd not dropped that hint.

@Ken1171 Dawn's skin is amazing in Superfly. I still struggle to get great skin for v4 in Superfly. She always turns out ebony. Are you using Snarly's script?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Ken1171 Dawn's skin is amazing in Superfly. I still struggle to get great skin for v4 in Superfly. She always turns out ebony. Are you using Snarly's script?[/QUOTE]

I like making my own skin shaders nowadays, because scripts tend to over-complicate them, making it tough to fine tune them the way I like in my renders. The major reason is that PBR rendering looks better with simple shaders, while FF used to require a lot of emulations and faking stuff to look good. That means FF shaders are usually larger and more complicated, and this plays against us with Cycles, I-ray, and Octane. All of these PBR renderers offer a principled "super root" shader, making materials creation much simpler to handle. We no longer need the tons of FF shaders to emulate Fresnel, ambient occlusion, and faking SSS. A single "Physical Surface" takes care of all that automatically, so we only have to attach the texture maps to it. Thanks to Poser's RSR shader integration with Cycles, even a simple "Poser Surface" with basic texture maps will look good in SF, as long as we avoid fake channels like "alternate diffuse" and "alternate specular", because PBR doesn't need to fake anything.

Having that said, when I look at the large and complicated shaders created by Snarly's script, I think that's more suitable for Firefly than for SF. By removing all the clutter and keeping it simple, I had better results with PBR rendering in my personal experience. It renders faster, looks better, and becomes easier to tweak. That's how I did it with the render above, where I have used the standard Poser Surface root with only textures plugged in, and no SSS. The current Cycles version in Poser is still the old one that couldn't clean up noise very well, especially when we use SSS. Nowadays versions of Octane, Cycles and I-ray use advanced AI-Denoiser, but the Poser version is stuck in the past with no updates. This is why I avoid SSS when rendering with SF unless I am desperate. :)

Example of super-simple shader for body skin with only texture maps to render in SF. With PBR, simpler is better. The catch is to fine tune the parameters to look as you want, and remember materials depend on the lighting to produce good results. In this render I have used standard 3-point (key, fill and rim) lights, all default spotlights. Some people claim it only works indoors, but here I have used it outdoors and it works for me. ^^

SimpleShaders.jpg

Last edited:

Me195

Extraordinary
Hmmmm, true, as she could be the one in control of those "evil" forces. ;)
Indeed, It's up to the viewers imagination. Some see her as in trouble, and some see her as the trouble maker. One person even saw the birth of a leprechaun because of the irish folklore of a leprechaun being the offspring of a fallen fairy and an evil spirit. I hadn't even considered that last one when making it. I love to see people's interpretation of intentionally ambiguous art. People are very creative.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I wouldn't have thought of that either, but now that you mention it, yes, I can see that being the case.