• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Yes that was my guess as well. The breastplate arrangement with the pommel horn just seems weird to me as a horse person. It would put stress on areas of the horse that I would consider detrimental, especially given the speed and distances these horses were expected to travel. Not to say that isn't the way it really was and then later changed/evolved once they realized that maybe there was a better way:)

I've been looking at lots of saddles and stuff and it is very hard to figure out where the breastplate was actually attached as the shabrak is usually covering that area. It would have had to be attacked either to the saddlebelt, or very high up on the base of the saddle. As it looks there seems to have been not much stress on that breastplate, the pistol holsters are attacked to it, and then a bedroll tied across, across which was then fitted the shabrak. I guess that arrangement was a very ancient one which was changed under the later military but it is a rather big mystery what exactly is under the shabrak... :p

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hi FreyrStrongart, this is the only one I've found where its over the "horn", I think you need to straiten yours up as I think it would slip to easy, if you look at this pic its more up in the air.

Otherwise, the rest look like this one below attached similar to how a moden saddle would be. Hope that helps

Freyfaxi

Adventurous
I'd like to apologise for my earlier comment about how the breastplate was fitted to the saddle. I've did a lil more investigation and discovered an illustration (see attached) with it fitted in the way shown on your model. With it up on the saddle pommel in that way it was used to hold the pistol holsters down and stop them flapping about. But again..I've also found illustrations of the saddle with staples fitted to the front of the saddle-tree bars..so apparently the breast plate could also be fitted in that position as well.

Attachments

• 9c62e0a697cdaf66fdcd4def2be0c239--napoleonic-wars-all-things.jpg
    9c62e0a697cdaf66fdcd4def2be0c239--napoleonic-wars-all-things.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 207

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Wow that "breastptlate"really is bizarre! Sorry for doubting!- it's just that it makes no sense to me:) It looks like it could choke the heck out of a horse, and would be a real mess without a crupper. LOL all I can say is, it is good thing this kind of saddle evolved into a better design for horses, such as the McClelland saddle, which then developed into the American western saddle.

Your modeling of it is really good, no matter what I think of the kind of saddle it is!

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Wow that "breastptlate"really is bizarre! Sorry for doubting!- it's just that it makes no sense to me:) It looks like it could choke the heck out of a horse, and would be a real mess without a crupper. LOL all I can say is, it is good thing this kind of saddle evolved into a better design for horses, such as the McClelland saddle, which then developed into the American western saddle.

Your modeling of it is really good, no matter what I think of the kind of saddle it is!
I've looked at many different images and it was often rather difficult to determine what was going on under the shabrak. There are many designs, and I picked one that gave me good information, without having too much guesswork to do. Concerning the breastplate, I am not sure how much it would differ from the more modern design as the attachment was just slightly higher up... and the advantage was, you could just slip the breastplate out of the saddle horn and give the horse the liberty of movement needed when grazing, for example. I am not sure how much modern breastplates restrict in that respect, as I never had a saddle using one.
And that design seems to be very clever in fact, as modern reconstructions have shown. The rider seems to be much more in tune with the horse as its movements transmit though the flexible saddle design. It would be interesting to test ride one.

Freyfaxi

Adventurous
This is an interesting discussion regarding the breastplate..but, from a modeling point of view. for the users, it'll probably be a bit irrelevant as you're planning on adding a shabracque as well, that'll hide the attachment anyway. :) I guess the best folks to ask would be those in modern-day Napoleonic re-enactment societies who actually portray mounted troops and ride themselves.

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
This is an interesting discussion regarding the breastplate..but, from a modeling point of view. for the users, it'll probably be a bit irrelevant as you're planning on adding a shabracque as well, that'll hide the attachment anyway. :) I guess the best folks to ask would be those in modern-day Napoleonic re-enactment societies who actually portray mounted troops and ride themselves.

true... and to be honest, the saddle might not hold up to an enacter's standards. There was only so much I could determine without having an actual saddle before my eyes. And there are also so many different variations... just looking at the english hussar regiments makes my head reel. Each one has a different shabrak! form, color, manner of braiding... and let's not talk about the uniforms! There is no way I can actually provide all those variations, so I have to go for something generic, which can be adapted to most uses.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Just a couple of quick teases of the Seahorse tail for DAZ. The first one combined with the Bejeweled skin from FL-Rae.
Both with my new Land-Escape Oceans

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
The rough rider set. Flintlock pistols, blanketroll, pistol holster can be removed or added at will to the base saddle. The tail belt is a separate figure too at the moment but I will probably have to put saddle, breatblate and tailbelt into one before rigging.
Now for the texturing of the shabrak... euw... and then... rigging. 'faints'.
test 1.jpg

Freyfaxi

Adventurous
Looking great. One suggestion if I may ? I think the pistols should be turned around..so butt of handle facing rider..easier to get hand around pistol when drawing the pistol from holster, . The rider doesn't need to twist his hand around to draw pistol ?

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Looking great. One suggestion if I may ? I think the pistols should be turned around..so butt of handle facing rider..easier to get hand around pistol when drawing the pistol from holster, . The rider doesn't need to twist his hand around to draw pistol ?
Actually they usually cross draw. so this is correct

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
The rough rider set. Flintlock pistols, blanketroll, pistol holster can be removed or added at will to the base saddle. The tail belt is a separate figure too at the moment but I will probably have to put saddle, breatblate and tailbelt into one before rigging.
Now for the texturing of the shabrak... euw... and then... rigging. 'faints'.View attachment 38875
Oh Wow! Fantastic!