• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
This also has the grulla coat... but that beauty is wasted on this image :p Still... i like how it came out.
Stormy ride.jpg

HiveWireHorse
Horsetack
Grulla
Dusk dialspun
AM fox
my g-force cowboy outfit

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Well, ladies and gents we have a 2018 triple crown winner in Justify a gorgeous chestnut out of Scat Daddy preserving both the Seattle Slew and Secretariat bloodlines, and back to back triple crown wins for trainer Bob Baffert and Mike Smith Justify's jockey finally wins the triple crown at the ripe old age of 52....LOL who says jockeys don't work out!!

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Working on a hussar saddle. Once it is finished it should have a saddle pillow and a shabrake to cover the saddle tree, although people used to ride on the bare stuff as well. So users can pick which version they would like. I hope to make the shabrake dynamic, so that posing will be easy. We will see how it goes.
The saddle is as exact as I could make it from the resources on the web, it is a model that was used by many cavallery units throughout the 18th and 19th century and seems to be at the base of the western saddle as well.
hussar saddle.JPG

I might do the pistol holster on the front, attached to the chest belt as well... I am just no good at modelling the pistols to go with it. Haven't decided yet.

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Fantastic! Looking amazing already! You are such a talented modeller!
lol... I wish! The mesh seems to be pretty hm...wonky but if you don't look too closely it might pass :p. Just have to take care it doesn't get too heavy on the vertices. uv mapping this will be hell! :p But I confess I am pretty happy with how it looks so far. Just got the saddle blanket in front done. Now for the saddle pillow and the shabrack...

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
View attachment 38445 Ahh..one question. I'll admit, I've not checked on this area at all..but does the breastplate fitting on the saddle go over the pommel horn in real life ? I sort of assumed it'd be fitted to the "traditional" place on the saddle tree ?
Depends on what saddle you look at. The most traditional ones have it over the horn, later on the saddle took adjustments and things were switched around so for example the attachment of the breastplate. I suspect that the attachment shown is partly due to the fact that you squeeze a blanket between the horn and the saddleneck which might push things up. The front and back of the saddle in the traditional saddle seems to have been pretty flexible, attacked to the base with strips of leather which made the saddle a very 'feely' kind of saddle. 'Tying' it down this way might have given it a bit more stability. Later on people 'improved things by using metal instead of leather, and added more things. Originally this construction must have been very light, and was used on small horses of about 14.2 hands, which equals about 145cm at the wither if i'm correct.
When looking at the images of hussars with the shabrack on you can see there is a big buldge under the horn, covered by the shabrack... that must be the blanket. There is often a second 'container' tied to the back of the saddle, a neat round affair for the personal effects of the soldier. For military uses it would also have to have a harness for the rifle on the right side... but I haven't yet figured out how that thing was actually attached to the saddle. I might just leave it at the pistol holsters in the front.

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
sigh...can't get TOO excited about your new saddle, Frey...since I'm Poser only... sniffle!!

in a rush...will add to the other forums later...Ken's birds of course! :)
WEll... it might go poser, depends on how complicated it will be to rig. It's probably going to be pretty static, which means I will have to do morphs for adjustments. Since I haven't yet figured out how they work in poser... I will have to go on another learning trip :p. As yet I haven't even finished modelling. Right now I am working on flintlock pistols to go into the holsters.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
View attachment 38445 Ahh..one question. I'll admit, I've not checked on this area at all..but does the breastplate fitting on the saddle go over the pommel horn in real life ? I sort of assumed it'd be fitted to the "traditional" place on the saddle tree ?

Yes that was my guess as well. The breastplate arrangement with the pommel horn just seems weird to me as a horse person. It would put stress on areas of the horse that I would consider detrimental, especially given the speed and distances these horses were expected to travel. Not to say that isn't the way it really was and then later changed/evolved once they realized that maybe there was a better way:)