• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nataani for Dusk

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Well, I was going to post one more render tonight of the Poser bump/materials... but Poser just crashed out my graphics display driver... growls and sighs... so, I think I'm done for the night. I will take that as my cue to log off now. LOL

Night, folks. :sleep:

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Gah, missed these, alerts failed me.

Well, then I think I'm all the way up to titanium... my medal doesn't seem to want to break. I hate housework!

And yes. I'm back from dinner break. ;) I won't be on as long tonight as I normally am. We have... in-laws coming over tomorrow, to my very vehement protest ... so I won't be able to sleep unless I try to make myself sleep tonight. Somehow. LOL

I loathe, detest and otherwise despise housework. And manage to ignore it till I run out of cutlery and can't wend my way through the boat without breaking a leg. That was today. Sigh.

Oh no! In laws! I remember them...shudder.

I'll be a good little wolf... I promised my Bear that I would not bite. LOL

:rofl: I know how hard it can be and you end up biting your tongue so many times you get ulcers!

Well, I was going to post one more render tonight of the Poser bump/materials... but Poser just crashed out my graphics display driver... growls and sighs... so, I think I'm done for the night. I will take that as my cue to log off now. LOL

Night, folks. :sleep:

Night, Seliah, hope you slept tight :sleep:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm still working on the teeth a little bit... but this is the base MAT (not intended for such a close-up view, I admit), and this is what the mouth materials look like. ;)

And yes, the teeth are morphed to be a bit crooked... no one has perfect teeth by the time they reach adulthood, unless they've been in braces and have tons of money to spend on keeping their teeth that way. LOL

PoserNataani04.png

It looks like I'll definitely need to do the utility lo-bump mats for his skin for Poser also, though. The bumps on the rest of his skin here are a touch too strong for my liking at this kind of a close-up view.

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I think the teeth look very natural, and yes unless you wore braces as a kid, or had crowns done on the top front teeth, no one's teeth look perfect.

I see what you mean about the need for lo-bump mats. I don't usually do renders that close up, but you never know when someone will want to.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I see what you mean about the need for lo-bump mats. I don't usually do renders that close up, but you never know when someone will want to.

Yes, and that image is only about 500-something pixels wide. If the texture bumps are that strong at this size, than even a slightly further away camera angle at an image size of about 1200 pixels will most likely be too strong of a bump also, and many folks do render regularly at that size. ;)

I'm back online now... going back to work on this. I'm still just saving his base materials out... I'll work with the dirty skin materials after this batch are done.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, and that image is only about 500-something pixels wide. If the texture bumps are that strong at this size, than even a slightly further away camera angle at an image size of about 1200 pixels will most likely be too strong of a bump also, and many folks do render regularly at that size.
Very true Seliah. I often render close to that size, and even those my "close-ups" are usually from say the top of the hip to the head, with a strong bump, it's still going to be too strong.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Very true Seliah. I often render close to that size, and even those my "close-ups" are usually from say the top of the hip to the head, with a strong bump, it's still going to be too strong.

Yup. I will be making similar utility MATs to lower the bump strength for him here, just like I did for the DS files, for that very reason. I myself often render at least 1200 pixels; sometimes more. The last thing I want is for someone to have to fight with my material settings just because they wanted a higher resolution image size. But I'll do the lo bump mats once I have the other materials saved out.

I like his teeth, Seliah. Very natural and normal where I come from.

Thanks. I'm glad the teeth are passing with approval. The teeth are what I was the most worried about... 3D teeth are always tricky to me, to get right... they often times render looking like chicklets candy pieces, and I was trying to avoid that with Nataani.

Miss B

CV-BEE
The teeth are what I was the most worried about... 3D teeth are always tricky to me, to get right... they often times render looking like chicklets candy pieces, and I was trying to avoid that with Nataani.
Not only in renders. I've seen folks with capped, or extremely whitened, front teeth, and it always makes me think of chicklets.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Sorry I only just saw this...I went back to work on Wednesday and just haven't had time for anything.

I understand completely Seliah. You might want to chat with Pen about that, as she's getting used to transferring her Diva stuff to Poser.

In any case, no rush, I was just curious.
lol...I swore and cursed a lot when I was doing it to.

Well, fortunately, Nataani is just a dial-spun morph. For me, the trickiest part will be setting up materials and getting the poses converted for not only Dusk, but Harry and the cowboy hat as well.

I would definitely like to offer a Poser version so that no one is locked out of it. I will test out the PFE script and see how it does with the poses, just not sure if that will work for the hat and Harry as well.
I still haven't looked at materials but that will probably drive me as crazy as it has you...the PFE script works well for some things.

Wow... how telling is this... I go looking for one of Dusk's head morphs to dial in, and can't find it... and then have the classic duh moment as I realize... the morph I'm looking for is part of Dusk's STARTER morphs... which... I not only never installed on the Poser side of things... but I never even downloaded the Poser side of those morphs!

Ouy! *bangs head on desk* I am so totally not a Poser user anymore, I guess. LOL No wonder I couldn't find the silly thing. It helps to have the morphs installed and injected, huh? :rolleyes:
lol...I had so many of those duh moments. Still haven't gotten everything installed.

:lol:

I swear, this is like a fish out of water here... you'd never know I spent the first ten years IN POSER!! Argh!

...I keep reaching for the upper right corner of the scene window for the camera controls, too... and for the sides of the window looking for tabs to de-clutter the ferschluggener workspace!
At least you know Poser a bit. I've never had much luck with it and basically DS is my program of choice but I have managed more in the last 12 months thanks to help from people here.

DS just works for me. Poser, at this point, simply doesn't. If I stuck to DS support I would probably save myself a lot of headaches, LOL, but I don't like the thought of locking out one side of the hobby from a product simply because I personally can't stand the program. :D

Anyway. I'm going to sign off for the night. It's after 3am here, and my Bear will be up for work in 45 minutes... and I am getting cranky, I think. ;) I'll see if I can improve on this tomorrow.

See you all later. :sleep:
I felt your pain (literally I might add) when converting Diva...so I can sympathise but can also relate to wanting to not lock people out.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Miss B...but I can relate to what Seliah posted. There are a couple of ways to make injections it depends if you have realigned rigging or if it's the original rigging. Netherworks toy box is useful for the figures that have original rigging.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes I have it, but haven't had a chance to use any of the goodies in it, yet. :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hi Pen. :)

Yes, I used Poser right up until DS 4.5 was released, at which point I was sort of forced to switch over because my hardware was just too old to handle Poser 7 at that time. By the time I got a rig that could handle it, I was too heavily invested into Genesis 1 (and still am) and had kind of fallen in love with the interface and workflow too much to ever switch back.

It's definitely my personal preference to stick to DS support, yes. However, that said... my work ethic will not allow me to do that when I know that something I'm working on CAN be made to work in Poser, even if it just means taking some extra time to do it.. up to and including rebuilding poses if need be. It's a work ethic thing for me; I do remember what it was like when I was a Poser-only user and something would come out (such as a hair object) for a figure and it was released ONLY in the .dsa format... when really it was just a hair object and there was no good reason to not ALSO have had the Poser .hr2 or .cr2 version available as well...

I understand, now, why some vendors choose to stick to one platform only. But for me personally, I just can't make myself do it when I know that I do have the ability to make the conversion... and even harder to stick to just one platform when I know there are Poser users who are reeeeally hoping something I'm working on comes out in a format they can use also. LOL

My Bear constantly tells me that I'm partially masochistic to constantly put myself through arguing with P10. :D I just can't do anything less, though. If I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it right or not at all... and if I know I have the capability to do a version for both platforms, I just can't let myself be satisfied with it until both versions are done. :laugh:

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I wouldn't have the first clue on how to get something to work in DS. The last version I did anything in was 4.0, and I had a devil of a time doing anything in it :(

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm on 4.8 Pro... I have not and will not update to 4.9. LOL If you need help with getting something working in DS, just give a shout... one of us is bound to be able to help you. ;)

I have Nataani's INJ and his REMs made and working now. Along with having all of his eye materials done, and his body/limb clean materials done and saved out. So I'm making progress here; it's just a little slower than I would like, because I am definitely not running in my usual territory for this part of things. :roflmao: