• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nataani for Dusk

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm working with Poser 10. So if that works for you in P9, it ought to work fine in P10, I would think. I will definitely look at it - thank you!

[Edit] It does look useful! So does the EZMat that he has as well. Thanks again! :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You're quite welcome Seliah. I downloaded the EZMat a while back, but haven't played with it yet.

The EZSkin 3 he's working on now is for Poser 11, either version, because it takes into account the new SuperFly render engine. That's not to say you couldn't use EZSkin 2 in Poser 11 too, just not with SuperFly materials.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
*nods* Well, I dropped both items in the cart and "bought" them so to speak. I'll look them over as well. If it makes the materials process understandable for SSS, then it's definitely worth it! LOL

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Slight update... I've been doing more work on the materials. I've got the eye materials saved to the library; doing incremental work on the poses as I go, in between materials stuff.

I don't have a render yet... hopefully later this afternoon or evening...

Right now, I'm needing to walk away from it, as Poser just crashed to the desktop on me for the tenth time in the last 30 minutes complaining of memory errors while rendering... with 12 Gbs of ram, it can't even render Dusk in his jeans if I put Dawn's stage in the scene... and I don't even have SSS applied to him. I may not be able to DO any SSS simply due to being unable to render the blasted scene to test things out as I go... this is another reason why I don't render in Poser...

Sorry.. a little annoyed right now. I'll get back to work on this in a little bit when I don't have the urge to rip Poser off of my system. Again. Rargh. Cranky wolf. :mad:

Taking a lunch break.

Miss B

CV-BEE
One thing I've noticed Seliah, if I have Poser open for a long period of time, it slows down to a crawl. I once even had to reboot my laptop to get things working correctly again.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, thanks Sanbie! I forgot to mention that.

I've also taken to emptying the RenderCache folder, which can be found in AppData > Roaming > Poser 10 (in your case) on a Windows machine.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
One thing I've noticed Seliah, if I have Poser open for a long period of time, it slows down to a crawl. I once even had to reboot my laptop to get things working correctly again.

Yeah, I'm very familiar with that quirk. The simple problem is that Poser is not, and has never been a stable program for me. I save frequently, thankfully, so I don't ever lose more than a couple of minutes worth of work. But yeah, 10 times in a half hour... it wasn't open long enough to come to a crawl. It just decided it was going to throw a memory error when I tried to render, and then show my my way back to my desktop. Yanno, in case I had forgotten where it was. LOL

Yep and a cache clean helps too

I've also taken to emptying the RenderCache folder, which can be found in AppData > Roaming > Poser 10 (in your case) on a Windows machine.

Yes, I do those things on a regular basis also, whenever I have to work inside of this program. I started doing things like that all the way back at Poser 5. It does not make a difference in this case. I really think it's just a matter of Poser 10 being a 32-bit program, and not a 64-bit, but Poser has historically, always been unable to keep pace with DS for me in terms of memory management and scene weight.

But yes, I'm familiar enough to know the little hiding places to clear files out of... it does not change what will and won't render on my machine for me, though. Dusk, wearing one outfit, with his hair and skin, and a simple, flat backgrop like Dawn's stage... and that's pretty much the limit of what it will render. Much more than that, and it starts throwing black screens at me (which I learned back on P5 was a "I don't have enough memory to render this!" issue), or it will start popping up windows with memory error messages... or I'm suddenly staring at my desktop again.

----------------

I have been back to working on this, though. Really, having to completely close the program out and re-open it every five minutes is hampering the process and slowing everything down immensely. Once I move onto fixing the poses, it should speed up the workflow in the sense that I won't have to constantly close and re-open things as much, as I won't be fiddling with materials and texture maps so much.

Anyway - I did manage to squeeze this render out of it... this looks like decent material settings for the average/distance views/renders... It looks like I will need to adjust his bumps just a tiny bit for close-up renders, but not a lot. Also, I don't think Poser needs the normal maps on him... he seems to do okay with just the bump and spec maps.

Here's the one render I did manage to squeeze out this afternoon...

PoserNataani02.png

Making some progress, despite the constant crashes.

Miss B

CV-BEE
That has to be extremely frustrating Seliah, but from what I see in this recent render, things are looking good. :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh, it's beyond frustrating, alright. But definitely making progress finally. I'm just getting his material settings done right now; those are the quickest to do, and at least they will be out of the way once I start trying to make his INJ/REM files and such. I'm working on altering the poses as needed a in between everything also.

So yes. Making progress... in spite of Poser 10 being a brat. LOL I just have to remember to walk away from it when I start snarling. :laugh:

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Oh dear, Seliah, that sounds sooooo frustrating! And I thought 32 bit DS was bad! 64 bit programs do seem to be a lot more stable and not as prone to crashing as 32 bit though even 64 bit DS has thrown a wobbly on me when rendering. But not anywhere nearly as often.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
LOL Well, Lorraine, that's one of the reasons I normally stick to DS. I'm only fussing with it because I like you all too much to say no. :sun:

He's coming along - slowly, painfully maybe, but he's coming along. LOL Once I had the seam issue around the top of the head figured out, the materials seem to have just kind of fallen into place. These are very basic materials, but they seem to be working for him. So for once, I'm not going to rock the boat too much. ;)

I have had DS fizzle out on me before, yes... but it takes a lot more to do that... I do really think a lot of it has to do with the 32-bit vs. 64-bit capabilities. It's not my hardware, for sure. I have plenty enough resources in my hardware to do what I want to do with 3D, so I'm really thinking it's just the fact that P10 is a 32-bit program.

Anyway. I'll get back to work now. :p

Lorraine

Good one! Still drinking my second bucket of coffee here trying to work up the enthusiasm or even just the 'gotta do it' to get my housework done. With a space as small as mine is, you would think this would not be a problem but no, I get gold medals in housework procrastination!

Lorraine

Haha! You beat me! And I'm still sitting here! But the thunder is rolling over the hills and I think we are in for a downpour as the arvo progresses so get up and attem before that happens, Lorraine!

Miss B

CV-BEE
Agreed. Who wants to be doing housework while it's pouring rain. Especially on a boat. ~shakes head~

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I actually get platinum medals for that. :D

Well, then I think I'm all the way up to titanium... my medal doesn't seem to want to break. I hate housework!

And yes. I'm back from dinner break. ;) I won't be on as long tonight as I normally am. We have... in-laws coming over tomorrow, to my very vehement protest ... so I won't be able to sleep unless I try to make myself sleep tonight. Somehow. LOL

I'm hoping to at least just get a couple more materials saved out before I have to log off for the night.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Well sleep well, and hopefully tomorrow will be tolerable. :)

I'll be a good little wolf... I promised my Bear that I would not bite. LOL

But yes - I'll be signing off here in the next few minutes. Just tying up a couple of loose ends on Nataani for the night. I got a couple of his face materials saved out... so there is that.

I think it's the poses for Harry and the cowboy hat that I'm dreading the most, out of everything else in his pack. It's trying to get those positioned correctly again... :roflmao: