• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nataani for Dusk

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Wow... how telling is this... I go looking for one of Dusk's head morphs to dial in, and can't find it... and then have the classic duh moment as I realize... the morph I'm looking for is part of Dusk's STARTER morphs... which... I not only never installed on the Poser side of things... but I never even downloaded the Poser side of those morphs!

Ouy! *bangs head on desk* I am so totally not a Poser user anymore, I guess. LOL No wonder I couldn't find the silly thing. It helps to have the morphs installed and injected, huh? :rolleyes:

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Oooh, ignore my question in the other thread lol!!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oooh, ignore my question in the other thread lol!!

:lol:

I swear, this is like a fish out of water here... you'd never know I spent the first ten years IN POSER!! Argh!

...I keep reaching for the upper right corner of the scene window for the camera controls, too... and for the sides of the window looking for tabs to de-clutter the ferschluggener workspace!

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Poser makes just no sense to me and I really have tried. The most I can do in it is apply a morph and save it for use in DS...and I am extremely amazed I manage that (all thanks to Pen who held my hand through the whole process).

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Poser makes just no sense to me and I really have tried. The most I can do in it is apply a morph and save it for use in DS...and I am extremely amazed I manage that (all thanks to Pen who held my hand through the whole process).

Yeah... you know, I used to feel that way about Studio, until they released version 4 and finally changed the GUI to something I could tolerate, and successfully use. Now I feel that way about Poser... sigh. I really hate this program. LOL And there is no good way to just simply run a conversion of the poses that involve Harry, OR Nataani's morphs from DS over to Poser... I've spent the last hour just dialing in one morph dial at a time, looking between DS and Poser to get the values... adjusting the Poser values further because of course some morphs need to be stronger or lighter than inside of DS...

I don't honestly know what I'm going to do with the poses yet. I'll decide that tomorrow when I've had some sleep and I am not tired. LOL

But here is a quick-and-dirty out of P10. Very basic materials, only applied to a couple of spots... just kind of threw them on him to get a better judge of the morphs...

This is with all the morphs dialed in once more, by hand...

Poser02.png

Poser03.png

It's not exactly the same, and to my eyes, I can see all sorts of niggling little differences in the morphs and overall shape. But I guess it's close. I'll work more on it tomorrow... for tonight, this is about all I can take of trying to work inside of Poser, though. LOL

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
One of the reasons DS works for me is it seems more like photography somehow and like working in my old studio. The cameras work kinda like my real ones and I get the lights, they're just easier to drag around than the real ones used to be. I still have issues with depth of field...it would be great if it worked more like real life but hey ho, there's ways around it.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Those sound like similar reasons for me with DS also. I don't have issues with DOF, I've figured out how to use it effectively; I just don't ever run a DOF render unless I'm going to sleep while it renders. ;)

The materials make more sense to me in DS also. And I'm able to get the textures to pop better, too. I also don't have this infuriating seam issue around the torso's material zone barrier on Dusk inside of DS, either! You can see the seams clear as day in those two quickie renders, and there's no good reason for it. None. That does NOT happen in Studio.

The lights, materials, the menus, the entire layout of the software... for me, Poser is cramped, and I feel like I'm being squashed into a tiny box that's too small for me to fit into when I'm working in it... I can't wait to get OUT of it again. Not to mention that Poser is riddled with memory holes... sure, I can render Dusk just fine. But if I add Dawn, clothes, hair, and even a simple background setting, it will crash out with a memory error. While I am sure that part of the memory management issues in P10 is because it's a 32-bit program, not a 64-bit... I have 12 GBs of memory, and an i7 processor, and there is no excuse for that level of poor memory management.

When I can pull off 10+ figures in Studio, plus a fully loaded, heavily littered and dressed scene background, and it renders all in one pass, WITH DOF and WITH AOA and UE2 lights... and it renders in less than 3 hours, there is no excuse for P10 to be incapable of rendering two figures in clothing and hair with a very simple, mostly empty background. -_-

Among other things. I just don't like Poser at all anymore... I only keep it around for content support, because I really do try to support both sides of the hobby... but the more I do, the more I'm beginning to understand why a lot of vendors pick one platform and stick to it. DS is far more stable on my system, too... P10 crashed out on me at least a dozen times just while I was dialing in Nataani's morphs. I literally save every other minute or so, because I never know when it's going to crash to the desktop.

DS just works for me. Poser, at this point, simply doesn't. If I stuck to DS support I would probably save myself a lot of headaches, LOL, but I don't like the thought of locking out one side of the hobby from a product simply because I personally can't stand the program. :D

Anyway. I'm going to sign off for the night. It's after 3am here, and my Bear will be up for work in 45 minutes... and I am getting cranky, I think. ;) I'll see if I can improve on this tomorrow.

See you all later. :sleep:

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
I think it's great that you're working to make this available for both Poser and DS users! I started with Poser and in some ways it still makes more sense to me. Didn't use DS till Genesis. Now, I like different things about different programs.

I think doing Poses in Poser and converting to DS might be easier than the other way around.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah, I didn't really use DS until Genesis 1, either! And at this point, I really don't like Poser at all anymore. LOL

But yes. I am trying to get him working. Poses... yes, poses are much easier to build in Poser and bring into DS if you're going to release dual packages for the figure, I will admit. And at the moment, I'm kind of wishing I had built the poses with Poser in the first place, but then when I was doing them, I wasn't really planning on doing a Poser version of the package, either.

The PFE script does do fine with converting poses for the single figures... it just does not convert the worldspace translations very well, so we end up with stuff like I showed above where Harry and Dusk are across the room from each other.

It did a fine job on the Dusk poses. I have not yet tried the hat poses, but given how it handled Harry, I have a sinking feeling that the hat is going to need to be repositioned by hand also. Harry's posing... I did recheck and it looks like I did use some of the shaping morphs to assist with his posing (stuff like "full" mane/tail morphs or spread morphs), but it looks to me like the PFE also did not pick up some of the "sway" morphs used on the tail. I knew I should have just skipped the posing morphs entirely and just done it by the sections... oh well. I can dial in the sway morphs again.

I don't know what I'm going to end up with in the Poser version yet. I'm still undecided on the poses. I'd like to get them working, so I will try. But I have to wait and see on that.

I've got his morphs dialed in to a starting point... there are things about his shape that are bugging me on the Poser side because it's just enough differences to my eyes, that I notice it, even though in the grand scheme it might be very minor differences. I wish there was a way to make an INJ file that could be brought into Poser or vice versa. I know it's not practical, but I can dream. ;)

I also, at the moment, can't tell if I'm seeing the seams due to an actual seam issue with the textures on the Poser Dusk, or if I'm seeing them because of Poser's lighting... I did notice this morning, that if I set up a 360 degree "pale white" set of lights (white lights, set about 20-30% intensity, surrounding the figure) the seam issues don't seem to appear. But any lighting that is set up to be artistic and all of a sudden I have seams showing up on a texture that had NO seams at all in DS, and I just don't understand that yet.

So... I'm just going to go one thing at a time here. Right now, it's morphs. I want to get his morph right, and I need to figure out how to save an INJ file for him in Poser. I really have NO idea how that is done yet. And then I'll move on from there.

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm the opposite. I started with Poser 5 and hated a lot of things about it. Then I tried DS 2 (earlier versions I didn't like at all), and what I liked about it was I was able to move things around in the UI so I can get it to look the way I wanted it, and have the different tabs where it was convenient for me to work with.

I then upgraded to DS 3 Advanced, and rearranged the tabs in that version as well. DAZ had included several different "looks" for the UI, so I was always able to find something I liked. I upgraded to DS 4.0, and there one of the DAZ designers created a great UI that was really sleek looking, and again I moved things around, and hid others, so that it was again in the same working order I was used to.

I bought Poser 7 when it was on sale real cheap when Poser 9 first came out, but my old laptop died a month later, so I never got to use it, and for some reason I never installed it on this one. Then HiveWire was born, and I upgraded to Poser 9 inexpensively when Poser 10/PP2014 came out so I could play with Dawn.

As Alisa mentioned, different software for different tasks and, of course, different strokes for different folks. At this point, I use DS 3A's Runtime in Poser more often than actually working in DS 3A, and I only use DS 4.0 for the original Genesis1/V5/M5, etc. characters I have. I haven't gotten into DSON, and from what I've read on various forums, it's not always as easy to use as purported.

That all said, Seliah, Nataani is looking real good to me in Poser. :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah, I tested out ALL of the versions of DS, from the first public Beta on forward, and just couldn't stand any of them until they released version 4... and then when my old dinosaur could no longer cope with Poser 7 due to the combination of aging hardware and newer software, I ended up in DS 4 entirely, because it was the only thing that would let me at least do some freebie making. By the time the dinosaur had become a fossil and finally the fossil turned to dust as the computer officially died, I was totally inside of DS.

It was just shy of two years before I was able to get a new pc. That's the laptop that I currently am working from. And by then, well.. I was just more comfortable in Studio, and at this point, still am. I remember how to work in Poser for the most part, but I've kind of gotten to really like Studio's cleaner interface, and having my whole workspace cluttered up with stuff that I absolutely HAVE to have available on screen... it leaves me feeling a little claustrophobic, at best. LOL :D

I think both programs have their good points and bad points... it's the nice thing about having choices.. you use what you're most comfortable in. Different tools for the same job. ;)

Anyway - I've been doing a little more work on him this afternoon, once I had the first cup of coffee down my gullet. I don't think I can get the morphs much closer, certainly not when re-dialing them all in by hand. I'll try to get a quick preview up here sometime tonight of the full body morph, but I think this is as close as I can get him on the Poser side.

The next step will be materials. Then I'll try to find out how to make an INJ/REM file for Dusk.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Okay... here's what I have currently on the Poser side. This is morphs dialed in as close as I can get them to Nataani's original DS shape. I've also applied bare texture maps, with only very little adjustment in the material room... yes, I've got the spec and bump maps on him, but I haven't done anything too much with the material setup outside of that, except for plugging the base image maps into the translucence nodes... I have those set to a roughly Nataani skin-ish color and to a value of 0.100 at the moment. Nails (fingernails and toenails) do not have ANY texture maps applied yet, so that's why they stand out so much.

So this is where he's at right now on the Poser side of things... full body view of the morph. No expression morphs dialed, which is why it looks like he's glaring at me. LOL

Poser04.png

Please don't mind the silly shorts... I have to check and see if Ken's product was available on the Poser side or not, and I really do not like the briefs Dusk came with on Nataani, even when colored just a flat black. LOL

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And a mostly-rear view of the Poser morph...

Poser05.png

And an up-close on the head/upper chest area. Obviously the materials will need some adjustment in terms of bump values.

Poser06.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
Glad you're making some progress. He doesn't look bad at all, and yes his nails look like he's wearing white nail polish, but once you get textures set up for those, they'll look natural.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
And complete profile/side view of the head shape... this is where I personally, notice most of the differences in the shape between the Poser side and his original DS shape. It annoys me, but there's not much else I can do about it, I think.

Poser07.png

And once again, the seam issue is present... sighs. And I can't figure it out. The image maps match up the way should; there are none of these seams visible in DS with these exact same maps. And the only spot that is doing it, is the seam around his face/head/ears.

I don't get it... and I don't know how to fix it...

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, you posted the last 2 just before I posted my response, and they're looking good.

The only thing I see is in the closeup. It looks to me as if his brow textures are lower than where his brows should be. Oh, and now that you posted the profile, I can see it there too. I don't recall seeing that in your DS previews.