• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Nataani for Dusk

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
My brother had acid in his skin too. It used to turn black under neck chains, rings (including his wedding band), and anything else, even though it was made of 14K gold. Silver, even worse.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yep... same here. And it's done a horrible number on my teeth as well... the dentist can't even put a filling in my teeth unless he keeps the area completely dry... otherwise the resin literally dissolves before it can harden.

That is one thing I really wish my daughter had not inherited from me. She's 17, and she's had constant cavities since her teeth first started coming in... and dentists always think she or I are lying when we explain to them that we actually don't drink soda pop... ever... and don't use a lot of sugar or sweets in our diets. It's very frustrating from the patient's side, even though I can understand where the dentist is coming from.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Geeze. I know when I was in my 20s and 30s my dentist thought I was sucking on lemons because all my cavities were down at the gum line. He said he usually only saw that on folks who sucked lemons, oranges or grapefruit. IOW, anything acidic. I guaranteed him I didn't, as I didn't have orange juice or oranges on a regular basis, and I only used lemon juice in tea or squirted slightly if I had fish for dinner. Grapefruit I happen to hate, so there was no chance I was eating that.

Never did figure out what caused it, but that's where I usually had them.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yeah. I'm 36, my teeth are a mess, no matter how much time I spend at the dentist's office. I had one actually stick a PH strip in my mouth when he saw the resin dissolve on a cavity.

Of course, I was 24 then, and he thought I was nuts when I told him he might as well just yank them all out and give me my dentures then and there. I admit that I was only half joking. And five years later, the same dentist admitted that it's a losing battle, and we are only prolonging the inevitable. And if the insurance would pay, we'd have already done just that. But the insurance is refusing to pay for it because I'm under 50.

...and in amongst all the idle chatting, I just wanted to note that I'm not ignoring Nataani. Apparently this pc auto updated the graphic driver, and it's being unstable as all hell right now. I just had to do another hard reset... it's chewing up 99% disk usage, dropping my wifi, after which the whole UI locks up, even though I can still type etc.

I really hate the new Windoze versions.

Miss B

CV-BEE
The graphic driver is doing that? Sheesh! I never let anything update automatically, but I certainly wouldn't think a graphic driver would cause so much trouble.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That's just it... I had auto updates disabled purposely. I'm guessing they got re-enabled when I had to recover the system last night.

And yes. This started when I started using Poser to convert Nataani. Poser actually crashed my graphics driver hard enough that the OS popped up a notification about it. It "recovered" itself, and the system has been unstable ever since. Then last night, the whole UI fritzed out, leading to a forced hard reset (you couldn't even click the shutdown commands), and then I spent most of last night repairing my HD and copying backups over to the pc again.

I looked at the driver this morning, and it was dated fron 2013... and then this afternoon it updated itself and I have had an unstable UI ever since. Currently trying to roll back the driver, and have gone back in and once more disabled auto-updates...

*sigh*

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
No, not at all. This kind of stuff is why I never went back to Poser for serious artwork. The program just does not have a good track record with me. This sort of thing used to be commonplace when I was a Poser-only user.

And yes, I know Poser caused the initial graphic driver crash, because the Poser interface is what fritzed out (while everything else was okay), and then I got the notification about ths graphic driver recovering from a crash.

At that point the whole monitor blinked off and back on as is common when updating or installing graphic drivers... and well here I am tonight still fighting with it. LOL

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
That is the biggest pain in the butt I've heard of for quite some time, Seliah. But there is some good news in your PM :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Ok... I have rolled back the graphics driver, I've updated the Toshiba service stuff (NOT the same as MS updates). I have come to the conclusion that this is just not going to be feasible for me to do. :(

I had to roll the entire system back to a restore point prior to my starting on Nataani's Poser conversion, just to get the system to stop freezing the GUI. Messages continue to come in through my IMs; if I have music playing, it continues to play in the background; it's just the GUI that becomes non-responsive, and it's happening constantly right now. As in, every few minutes or so everything was freezing up on the GUI and I couldn't get any response out of my windows. And this was after rolling back the graphics driver, which is why I went back to a prior restore point. Now, I am still getting some freezes, but not quite as often as before.. but the point is I'm still getting them. I am probably going to have to reinstall my OS to fix this.

Guys, I can not do this. These kinds of computer problems used to be very, very commonplace for me back when I was using Poser on a regular basis to do my artwork. I had repeated hard drive crashes, repeated instances of needing to reinstall my OS, the event viewer was riddled with graphic driver issues and that happened across three different video cards, and three different versions of Windows, and at least three different sets of hardware/computers. My husband at one point installed Poser on his system and was experimenting with it, and he, too, ended up having graphic driver issues and at one point needed to do a reinstall of his OS (for him it was Win7).

These particular types of PC issues STOPPED happening when I switched over to Studio. Now, as soon as I start using Poser to do any serious work, like I've been trying to do with Nataani's conversion, the issues have begun again - on a completely different set of hardware than what I had before. A totally different machine, and a totally different version of Poser.

I have gotten no work done on this today, really. I got no work done on it yesterday. I have spent all day today and yesterday trying to fix the problems that were created by the graphic driver crash and resulting instability on the system. I know these issues are not happening to everyone, or people would not use the software. Maybe it's something that's particular to trying to run a 32-bit Poser10 on a 64-bit OS system. Or maybe it's something conflicting with something else and it just happened to be while I had P10 open for Nataani. I don't know. But it's happened for years, through all the Poser versions starting at Poser 5, and all the hardware rigs I've had. I have had no problems with my current computer until I started trying to do Nataani's conversion, and now I'm most likely looking at an OS reinstall.

I am more than willing to team up with a Poser user to produce a version of him for those of you who use that software. I want to support both programs. I want to get him working on both sides. But if I kill my computer trying to do Poser conversions, I won't be able to produce any content at all. I can't afford to replace this machine; it took me almost two years to save up to get it, and it was completely stable (as much as I hate Windows 8.1) until I started opening Poser and trying to do Nataani's conversion.

I can't do this. I'm sorry. If a Poser user is willing to step up and do the conversion, please send me a PM and we'll talk it over. I'm more than willing to work with someone in order to get him supported in both programs. I will send you the .pz2 INJ/REM that Satira so kindly helped me figure out how to make. I'll send you the textures; I'll happily send you whatever you need to do it with.

But I am not going to, and I can not afford to kill my own computer trying to do it. If a Poser user is willing to do the conversion for him, please send me a PM and we'll work out the nitty gritty. I can't. I've tried, and I'm still chasing down instability issues and looking at a Windows reinstall tomorrow to return stability to my system as a result. I can't fry my rig trying to do this. I'm sorry. :(

Last edited:

Lorraine

That is so sad, Seliah :( . Both that Poser has fried your OS and that you've had to pull the plug on Nataani for Poser. I know how you try so very hard to do the very best you can and it won't have been easy to make that decision. I do hope someone will do the conversion, fingers crossed. I also hope you won't have to reinstall the OS, fingers, toes and legs crossed for that.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That is so sad, Seliah :( . Both that Poser has fried your OS and that you've had to pull the plug on Nataani for Poser. I know how you try so very hard to do the very best you can and it won't have been easy to make that decision. I do hope someone will do the conversion, fingers crossed. I also hope you won't have to reinstall the OS, fingers, toes and legs crossed for that.

I don't want to pull the plug on it, Lorraine. I would much rather work with a Poser user to get a conversion of him done. I just can't risk my machine at this point to do it myself. I want him working on both sides of the fence, but clearly, my system is not agreeing very well with P10. :/

Lorraine

No, you must protect your laptop. It's the most important thing at the moment. What an rotten thing to happen, just when things were starting to go right. Sod it.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
So sad to hear of your computer woes its not fun when that happens.
Yeah... I actually own a couple of those wristbands... I still am not fully grounded. I still get shocks through them. Maybe it's a good thing I'm an artist, and not an IT person, eh?

I also can't wear a wristwatch... too much acid in my skin. It gunks up the insides of the watch and kills the watch within a month or two every time. You know that little tiny pocket in the front pocket of denim jeans? Yeah. I use that little thing for exactly what it was originally meant for.. a dang pocket watch... because I can't wear one on my wrist! LOL
I've always had issues with watches due to static electricity but I find fitbits work ok. Ive had one for over 6 months now.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
So sad to hear of your computer woes its not fun when that happens.

No, no it's not. But thankfully, this is why we keep backups of our needed files. ;)

've always had issues with watches due to static electricity but I find fitbits work ok. Ive had one for over 6 months now.

Those do look interesting; but I suspect my skin would eat through the material of the band itself pretty quickly. My skin eats the finish off of cellphones and even their protective cases, usually within a week or two. LOL

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Lol...sounds like you're worst off then me.

LOL, yeah, my skin does ugly things with many materials. ;)

-----------------

I've gotten Windows re-installed, and everything back up to snuff on my computer here. Just for a quick test, I held off copying my libraries back over, and opened Poser, after bringing it up to date with the current SR's. I opened it up with just the default/stock content... and immediately had the same issues crop back up. And I had to do a second re-install of my OS right afterwards.

I am probably going to make a post over on RDNA. They seem to have a fair number of Poser-knowledgeable folks. I want to see if there's any solution for this that I can do to get P10 working without constantly having to re-install my OS every time I try to open it up. I've been crawling through all the tech-head forums on the net, as well, and it's a good chance that the basic problem really is that P10 is a 32-bit program and my OS is 64-bit.

I don't like not being able to use it to make Poser-side files for things I create.

Anyhow. I am going to make a post over on RDNA and maybe one of their techie types can help me figure out how to get P10 working on this OS without having to reinstall the OS after every single session. That's the only thing I can think of at this point.

The DS files are through Beta now, and I will be hopefully submitting them to QAV very soon.

A potential Poser version really depends on whether or not I can get P10 working on this OS.

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Sorry to hear you're having such a problem with P10 on your laptop, but I certainly can understand your need to keep it in good working order.

I would love to help with the conversion, but unfortunately I don't have (or want) the latest version of DS, so can't work with DUF files. I hope you find someone who can eventually help you with the conversion.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
To be honest, I'm not even working with the DUF files when I do my Poser versions. I re-dialed all of Nataani's morphs by hand in P10, and followed Satira's instructions to produce the INJ/REM file for him natively inside of Poser.

I'm hoping someone over on RDNA has an answer to how I can work with P10 without slopping up my graphic driver, which in turn is what botched the OS installation. Hopefully someone over there knows a workaround to avoid that. If they do, great. If they don't, I guess I'll just release the INJ/REM files as free and the Poser folks are just going to have to do their own materials setup... this is not the solution I want! :confused:

Or maybe I'll just dedicate this coming weekend to doing the basic material files with plans to reinstall the OS when I'm done. *shrugs* I don't know, I'm out of ideas on what else to do for it. I hate abandoning half of the hobby just over a PC issue that shouldn't be an issue in the first place. It's got to be something to do with my specific machine, because if it was a common issue across the board, there would be lots of other folks having the same problems.

I did notice, however, in all my tech-forum crawling and searches, that there are a lot of Windows 8/8.1 issues with P10. So it could just be the P10 simply doesn't like 8.1, also.

I dunno. I'll see what comes of the post on RDNA. If they can help me solve it, then I might be able to get him cobbled together for Poser later on down the road, if nothing else. We'll see. *crosses fingers*

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Fingers crossed for you down here too, Seliah. Such a pain and a nuisance.

Yeah... I'm not holding my breath, though. Responses are usually pretty far and in between on RDNA's forums. I'm just grasping at straws right now. I do have all of my libraries and installers and other files backed up safely to external drives, so if it comes to it, I suppose I could just say the hell with it, open Poser this weekend and try to get it done in one session, with the knowledge that I will have to re-install my OS when I'm done. But I really can't be doing it that way for every single thing I make.

Pro2010 was bad for me, but not THIS bad. It wasn't catastrophic system-wide issues that were created - provided I did not have anything else open when I had 2010 open. However, Pro2010 does not have the ability to deal with weight mapped figures, so rolling back to that version won't help me with getting Nataani converted over. :/