• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP MEC4D - Creations for Dawn 2 and Dusk 2 , work in progress

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
Looks awesome, Cath! I have tried cloth sims on hair, and it can be a hit or miss, since basically the hair would have to be built for that purpose, and most are not. Hit detection on the Cloth Room leaves something to be desired when it comes to flowing hair, and with the Bullet engine it is even worse (but not surprising because it is real-time). Things like this are important because posing hair shouldn't have to be this difficult.
Well you need to build hair for that purpose to work smooth , DS have great option to use the materials zones so you can separate roots from the rest and setup exactly the zones for the hair , in Poser it takes some hand work to setup it before simulation but still possible as I did before a lot stuff in the Poser cloth room .

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Well you need to build hair for that purpose to work smooth , DS have great option to use the materials zones so you can separate roots from the rest and setup exactly the zones for the hair , in Poser it takes some hand work to setup it before simulation but still possible as I did before a lot stuff in the Poser cloth room .

I did too, but in many cases, I couldn't get the hair to properly collide with the figure during sims, no matter what collider objects I had selected. In iClone, we paint a grayscale texture to determine which parts are dynamic and how much. Then the hair moves automatically when we pose the figure in real-time, so it only requires setting up the hair once. It uses Bullet to do that, so I assume we could do the same in Poser, except that we have to paint the weights instead of textures. Imagine real-time hair we only need to setup once.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Sorry to hear it did not worked for you.

I do hair for my game engine customers - real time hair .. I wish we have it in our programs
I just tested in DS as well I am going to test real time render- dynamics in DS and see how it moving in real time
in Poser you need to have specific topology for good simulation I was doing over 100 products using Poser dynamics , you can't have self collision on hair .

below some raw test in DS, no bad , no textures, all shader based only , I like the separation on the shoulders

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-02 143728.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-02 143728.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot 2021-04-02 134958.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-02 134958.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Screenshot 2021-04-02 141944.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-02 141944.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot 2021-04-02 152727.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-02 152727.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Looking good! I think we can have real-time hair in Poser using Bullet, but we can't use the figure for collision detection. We have to add simpler low-poly collision objects like we do in game engines, and only where the hair would touch. Oh yes, self-collision on hair would be rather impractical. But I still think we can have real-time hair in Poser with Bullet using low-poly colliders, and some constraints.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Looking good! I think we can have real-time hair in Poser using Bullet, but we can't use the figure for collision detection. We have to add simpler low-poly collision objects like we do in game engines, and only where the hair would touch. Oh yes, self-collision on hair would be rather impractical. But I still think we can have real-time hair in Poser with Bullet using low-poly colliders, and some constraints.
That's is interesting idea Ken , I think I was doing something like that in Carrara . When I have done my hair base I will check it out
I could do a very low poly chest/neck small plates based on the same groups so it would also move with the upper body but just like a prop, it could be loaded together with the hair on the main figure as a static props

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
My traditional Card based Hair aka Trans Mapped-Hair
very fine hair at 11K poly each hair painted separate on the maps

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-02 192345.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-02 192345.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot 2021-04-02 190453.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-02 190453.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Screenshot 2021-04-02 195348.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-02 195348.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot 2021-04-02 200828.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-02 200828.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I like the flow in this hair, looks very natural.
Thanks Ken, BTW you can see on the gray figure above actually the corneal bulge the way it should be

I am testing the thickness of the hair for DS and Poser , for my personal taste maybe little to fine , but higher thickness will render the oily hair look and looks not pretty . I need to experiment a little more to find the middle ground , or maybe make 2 sets of maps, one for close up and one for distance rendering .

Last edited:

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I have noticed that right away, by the way light reflects differently around the iris. I have noticed this even before I noticed the hair! LOL
Good eye , it reflecting the light differently even with the same material settings , the job it was made for .

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Remember I said that just an iris mask is not enough, because light reflects differently over the cornea bulge than on a masked regular sphere? That's why the eyes on the images above have called my attention right away. It's the way light reflects on the physical shape that makes the difference.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Remember I said that just an iris mask is not enough, because light reflects differently over the cornea bulge than on a masked regular sphere? That's why the eyes on the images above have called my attention right away. It's the way light reflects on the physical shape that makes the difference.
I remember , but I was talking about the mask for the rest of the eye white, and I am still going to do it , all I will leave there will be just the corneal bulge , the IOR on top of the eye white make some troubles and is too noisy . Waste of energy while rendering.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I never thought of that specifically, but the highlight tends to be over the cornea bulge in real humans, I think. And it's also smaller than in most 3D renders, because the cornea bulge is like a small sphere on top of the eyeball, which makes reflections smaller than over the eye whites. That's why many people have used fake reflections until now, because unless the cornea has a bulge in geometry, we will not get the right kind of eye reflections in renders.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I never thought of that specifically, but the highlight tends to be over the cornea bulge in real humans, I think. And it's also smaller than in most 3D renders, because the cornea bulge is like a small sphere on top of the eyeball, which makes reflections smaller than over the eye whites. That's why many people have used fake reflections until now, because unless the cornea has a bulge in geometry, we will not get the right kind of eye reflections in renders.
Exactly, not possible proper reflections without it, that what grabbed attention Nvidia when they featured my character , the lady said it grabbed her attention. Eye surfaces are most important , no matter cartoon or realistic .. it need the extra sparkle so we know .... it is alife!!! :laugh:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Exactly, not possible proper reflections without it, that what grabbed attention Nvidia when they featured my character , the lady said it grabbed her attention. Eye surfaces are most important , no matter cartoon or realistic .. it need the extra sparkle so we know .... it is alife!!! :laugh:

Grabbed my attention as well when I saw those eyes in the renders above. People always look at the eyes first. I first noticed the eyes (after having seen years of dead 3D eyes), and then I noticed the hair. ^^

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Say hello to Mimi , new heroine in town , my husband said she looks like Milla J ( not intended probably the angle/hair ) .. so I made for him a tribute to 5th Element .

Click for large version
The_5th_Element_Mec4d.net_2021_.jpg

Hair are 3D Card based made exclusive for her , she got also her 3D eyelashes and 3D Eyebrows . Her PBR SSS skin is controlled by weight maps

I hope you like , "Corbin Dallas multipass" :laugh:

Attachments

• Emily_mec4d.net_2021_bw.jpg
    Emily_mec4d.net_2021_bw.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
Your husband is right, even without reading your comment, just looking at the pic, the first thing comes in my mind, 5th element and Milla , who I admire a lot. Stunning

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Your husband is right, even without reading your comment, just looking at the pic, the first thing comes in my mind, 5th element and Milla , who I admire a lot. Stunning
Now that's interesting , thank you !
I admire Milla too ! I guess I injected some Slavic genes into the D2 pool by accident ;) Mimi going to be the Queen of kick-butt anyway lol

Daniel Hicks(OganicPic)

Eager
Contributing Artist
Say hello to Mimi , new heroine in town , my husband said she looks like Milla J ( not intended probably the angle/hair ) .. so I made for him a tribute to 5th Element .

Click for large version
View attachment 68250

Hair are 3D Card based made exclusive for her , she got also her 3D eyelashes and 3D Eyebrows . Her PBR SSS skin is controlled by weight maps

I hope you like , "Corbin Dallas multipass" :laugh:
Sweet love the eyes and those lips live them WoW!