• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP MEC4D - Creations for Dawn 2 and Dusk 2 , work in progress

xyer0

Brilliant
Two versions are good, but I definitely want all your extravagance available as an option; this is gonna be the bomb! Thanks for the extra material groups, too.

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
OpenGL no materials or textures

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-28 205953.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-28 205953.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot 2021-03-28 210104.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-28 210104.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot 2021-03-28 210233.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-28 210233.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 109

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Very smart of you to pull the dangling red ribbons away to the sides. :) What happens if you make a solid necklace piece, and then bake the 100K model into it as a normal map? Perhaps even a 2K map could preserve a lot of detail? Of course, bake the other PBR maps as well, and it would be interesting to see how the low-res baked model would look like in renders.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Very smart of you to pull the dangling red ribbons away to the sides. :) What happens if you make a solid necklace piece, and then bake the 100K model into it as a normal map? Perhaps even a 2K map could preserve a lot of detail? Of course, bake the other PBR maps as well, and it would be interesting to see how the low-res baked model would look like in renders.
I know, trust me, rigging nightmare lol I need to make new ribbons , finish the crown decor, sandals, ribbons on the crown/back

I am going to figure out something with the necklace ..

Test test test ..nothing rigged just testing static scene

Like in the old movie ...
Screenshot 2021-03-28 233202.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-28 221805.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-28 221805.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot 2021-03-28 222900.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-28 222900.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot 2021-03-28 224154.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-28 224154.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot 2021-03-28 224426.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-28 224426.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot 2021-03-28 230350.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-28 230350.jpg
    742.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I had yesterday a busy day / night , I made all new outfit for the Queen after doing some research , now texturing and more fine details ...

I hope you like

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-30 063033.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 063033.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot 2021-03-30 063102.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 063102.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot 2021-03-30 063131.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 063131.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot 2021-03-30 063201.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 063201.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot 2021-03-30 063240.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 063240.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot 2021-03-30 063352.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 063352.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot 2021-03-30 063423.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 063423.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot 2021-03-30 063456.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 063456.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot 2021-03-30 063541.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 063541.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot 2021-03-30 063653.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 063653.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot 2021-03-30 063813.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 063813.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 95

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Love all the details you have added to the base outfit. Looks high-poly with all the frills. What's the final poly count without the collar?

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Love all the details you have added to the base outfit. Looks high-poly with all the frills. What's the final poly count without the collar?
Thanks Ken,
the under dress 5K
top dress 24K
lower dress 24K

I need the extra poly for the rigging , if not enough, the folds not gonna works with weight maps, the top dress is one of the most difficult to rig , and I want it to flows with the posing and still looks natural without the need of dynamics, for example arm up and the fabric follow naturally with the gravity .
so 53K for the whole dress/outfit is still not bad for the amount of details.

This is one of the 2 outfits I am preparing , the other is the goddess Isis outfit she was wearing and nobody else was allowed.
I could do quick the other Goddesses outfits as they are easy and quick job, but most all of them are from Old Kingdom fashion and topless

The New Kingdom fashion was like today, they wear skirt, jackets, robes , shirts , tunics and "underwear" lol the nights in ancient Egypt was cold in the rainy season .
The today's Indian Sari outfit is almost exactly what New Kingdom Noble and high class women would wear in ancient Egypt on a daily basis plus long skirts and sort of poncho .

It is funny all reconstructions showing always metal crowns for the Kings and Queens , now imagine 50C/122F in a tight metal pot on your head.. beside there was not blue metal in ancient Egypt , and most for Kings/Queens it was made of leather like suede painted royal blue, or stiff linen.
First go yellow linen sweat band and on top the crown.

The sandals was not Egyptian invention , it came from the Hittites, but never got adopted by the middle and low class , Gods of Egypt never wear a footwear , why should they?
18th dynasty noble and rich people preferred the sandals.

Last edited:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks for all the info, Cath. Weight maps indeed work better with more polys than less. And I remember even the statues of Ramses the first were depicted on bare feet. In some cases the bare feet were the only remaining parts, due to time, wars and vandalism. However, statuettes of Akhenaten and Nefertiti had them both on sandals. As we know, this family was not afraid of changes. According to archeology, commoners also wore sandals in Egypt, mostly made of papyrus and leather, just not as fancy as the ones from richer classes. Like hairstyles would identify a nobleman from a commoner in ancient Japan, the same was valid for sandals in Egypt and Greece. At some period in Greece, the only sure way to identify a slave was to look at their sandals.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Yes Ken the Rich did , but not the servants, and lower working class as they not even wear top clothing, no matter women or man as you can see on the wall paintings , I read yesterday paperwork regarding fashion in ancient Egypt .

BTW I just made the second part of the other Isis dress , the pleated folding go in the different direction, this time 9K only , I cut the part that are not visible .

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-30 163159.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 163159.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot 2021-03-30 170935.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 170935.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot 2021-03-30 171029.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 171029.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot 2021-03-30 174135.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 174135.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 77

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Looks awesome with the folds, though rigging things like ponchos can be a pain, and it's hard to keep it real when posed - because of the folds. Did you use the new ZB cloth brush?

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Looks awesome with the folds, though rigging things like ponchos can be a pain, and it's hard to keep it real when posed - because of the folds. Did you use the new ZB cloth brush?
Thanks Ken, I use dynamic clothing brush, but here I used dynamic simulations, how you do the topology so will be the flow.

I am good with rigging the poncho, I made so many times and a lot of work , it flows always beautiful with the movement of the poses .
I made a lot clothing with foldings in the past , the wrinkles and topology can't be random , it is all planned from the beginning. You can even run dynamic clothing simulation after the rigging, that why I never bake the folds in the topology.

BTW did I show Nefertiti with bald head ? Alienated beauty indeed, even more than with her crown. Valerian and the city of 1000 planet coming on my mind ..
I can't get over the fact that the Younger lady mummy from the tomb K35 and mother of King Tut/ aunt /sister to Akhenaten is not Nefertiti
there is not other mummy of a woman that have this profile , unless Nefertiti bust is actually a King Tut's mother and not Nefertiti . It have even the slightly bump on the nose as the bust and double ear-piercing.
I did not model Nefertiti based on the mummy but the bust only , too many coincidences , the part that was missed from the mummy face match the bust model here .. interesting right ? I studied human forms , and have good. eye on this kind of stuff .
Unless they find Nefertiti mummy , we will not know the real truth

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-30 182727.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 182727.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot 2021-03-30 182810.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 182810.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot 2021-03-30 190425.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-30 190425.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 80

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks Ken, I use dynamic clothing brush, but here I used dynamic simulations, how you do the topology so will be the flow.

I am good with rigging the poncho, I made so many times and a lot of work , it flows always beautiful with the movement of the poses .
I made a lot clothing with foldings in the past , the wrinkles and topology can't be random , it is all planned from the beginning. You can even run dynamic clothing simulation after the rigging, that why I never bake the folds in the topology.

BTW did I show Nefertiti with bald head ? Alienated beauty indeed, even more than with her crown. Valerian and the city of 1000 planet coming on my mind ..
I can't get over the fact that the Younger lady mummy from the tomb K35 and mother of King Tut/ aunt /sister to Akhenaten is not Nefertiti
there is not other mummy of a woman that have this profile , unless Nefertiti bust is actually a King Tut's mother and not Nefertiti . It have even the slightly bump on the nose as the bust and double ear-piercing.

I just haven't rigged enough ponchos to get the tricks of it, I suppose. I started sculpting body shapes with hopes to get a better grasp on sculpting in general, but I still didn't get the hang of cloth folds, because sculpting people doesn't touch that. A poncho rig must be like a skirt with only one leg, I imagine.

As far as I know, "Younger Lady" is not Nefertiti, and neither is the "Older Lady". Her mummy was never found. It is little known what happened to her after Tutankhamun's death, so her demise remains a mystery. There were news of 2 new hidden chambers behind the walls in Tutankhamun's chamber, but the Egyptian government first denies it, and then starts investigating it, so it's a bit of a mess. It's not the first time the Egyptian government gets in the way of archeology. In a way, I can't blame them. To this date, they keep claiming Germany had stolen Nefertiti's bust from Egypt, claiming it belongs to the Cairo museum. So much of Egypt was stolen by many other countries, like France and England, so it's not hard to understand that they resent that.

xyer0

Brilliant

Such a cool thread: WIP updates AND ancient history. Thank you, Cath, for giving Nefertiti the royal cranium shape. I hope her mate has it as well.
Can you explain how you "never bake folds in the topology;" yet, you have folds in the clothes. It may be my lack of understanding of terminology, but what do you mean?

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I just haven't rigged enough ponchos to get the tricks of it, I suppose. I started sculpting body shapes with hopes to get a better grasp on sculpting in general, but I still didn't get the hang of cloth folds, because sculpting people doesn't touch that. A poncho rig must be like a skirt with only one leg, I imagine.

As far as I know, "Younger Lady" is not Nefertiti, and neither is the "Older Lady". Her mummy was never found. It is little known what happened to her after Tutankhamun's death, so her demise remains a mystery. There were news of 2 new hidden chambers behind the walls in Tutankhamun's chamber, but the Egyptian government first denies it, and then starts investigating it, so it's a bit of a mess. It's not the first time the Egyptian government gets in the way of archeology. In a way, I can't blame them. To this date, they keep claiming Germany had stolen Nefertiti's bust from Egypt, claiming it belongs to the Cairo museum. So much of Egypt was stolen by many other countries, like France and England, so it's not hard to understand that they resent that.
well Ken, poncho is like rigging a skirt with 3 legs , without custom weight maps not possible , that why I like the rigging system of D2 as it allows the impossible without additional bones and morph adjustments .

They first claimed that the "Younger Lady" was not Nefertiti and also a man , now miraculously becomes King Tut's mother , politics, politics....
There is a paper work for Nefertiti legally living her country ;) picture included , at that time only things made of gold stayed in Egypt ;) let's stay in the ancient Egypt, politics turns things always negative .

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Such a cool thread: WIP updates AND ancient history. Thank you, Cath, for giving Nefertiti the royal cranium shape. I hope her mate has it as well.
Can you explain how you "never bake folds in the topology;" yet, you have folds in the clothes. It may be my lack of understanding of terminology, but what do you mean?
Thank you and you welcome . I guess we need the little family to match :)
That is exactly how I work , I am surrounded with the subject, reading articles , doing more research on various subjects and learn better the history, it is actually very educative way of working on a subject and very interesting . This way the creation will have own little history and not just another product from the store. It becomes a little personal and more valuable to me and maybe to the one that follows its process of creation.

You see , you can bake the folds permanently in the topology by remeshing it , it could also reduce the amount of polygons , but for animated clothing you don't want any folds to be permanent and build in into the topology , fabric is elastic, sometimes it had folds sometimes it doesn't, imagine a skirt with folds , when you pose a leg up the folds should be gone , if you permanently add the folds to the topology, the folds would be always there . And if you wanted to use dynamic cloth simulation it would not flows correctly . You can also bake the folds using a displacement or normal maps and use low poly and flatter version , but it would be less attractive for cloth simulation and I do like to have all options available for myself and my customers.

Last edited: