• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP MEC4D - Creations for Dawn 2 and Dusk 2 , work in progress

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@MEC4D It can be a bit confusing now, because some MAT zone names on the eyes have changed.
  • Eyes = EyeWhites
  • Cornea = Conjunctiva
But I am happy to have the lacrimal tubes, like we used to have with V4. I can render much more realistic eyes with those, and I have greatly missed them on the original Dawn.

I agree with you that sometimes it's best to mask out the sclera on the cornea, so we can limit reflections to where they SHOULD be. However, just masking is not enough, because the lack of a cornea bulge will also affect the size and shape of reflections, where masks will not make up for it. It must be on the geometry, even if as a morph dial, so it doesn't protrude out of the eyelids in some cases.

I was thinking, why not create the cornea bulge with a NORMAL map? If that can affect shadows, wouldn't it also affect reflections? And wouldn't that be much easier to make than messing with geometry? Just an idea.

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
If you were a member of the Coven from American Horror Story you would be the Supreme honey! You astound me! I feel small, meek and stupid! LOL
Oh Richard LOL there is always something interesting we can do, that's why I love it, I hope it give you some inspiration
my husband find it creepy when I am dissecting virtually eyeballs on my computer .. lol

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
@MEC4D It can be a bit confusing now, because some MAT zone names on the eyes have changed.
  • Eyes = EyeWhites
  • Cornea = Conjunctiva
But I am happy to have the lacrimal tubes, like we used to have with V4. I can render much more realistic eyes with those, and I have greatly missed them on the original Dawn.

I agree with you that sometimes it's best to mask out the sclera on the cornea, so we can limit reflections to where they SHOULD be. However, just masking is not enough, because the lack of a cornea bulge will also affect the size and shape of reflections, where masks will not make up for it. It must be on the geometry, even if as a morph dial, so it doesn't protrude out of the eyelids in some cases.

I was thinking, why not create the cornea bulge with a NORMAL map? If that can affect shadows, wouldn't it also affect reflections? And wouldn't that be much easier to make than messing with geometry? Just an idea.
You mean
Sclera = EyeWhite
Conjunctiva is a layer that cover the outside of the whole eyeball , it cover also the cornea in real world
For proper cornea bulge and IOR to work you need to have physical state modeled, normals will not do that.
When you mask out everything but the area of cornea that cover the iris, everything will works fine, I could also melt the conjunctiva inside the sclera . Or shrink it all to the size of cornea .
Well for now it works fine with the morph , and my cornea bulge is not as big to get outside of the eyelid
I will show you what I mean exactly when I make new model of the eyeball, I mean new shape for the eyeballs , and explain

I can also do here is to turn the partial conjunctiva into sclera * eyewhite , since cornea grow out of sclera , the thing here is we don't have cornea material zone so a lot of masking but the transition between the sclera and iris would be beautiful

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
No, it was indeed "Eyes" = "EyeWhites" in the original Dawn. I mean, the MAT zone names. "Eyes" never made sense, and it was even a bit confusing when it meant "eye whites", so the new name on Dawn 2 makes more sense. In old V4, she had both "Cornea" and "Eye Surface", but they were modeled so close together that her eyes rendered dark instead of shiny, probably because of AO and shadows.

Darn, the normal map sounded like a good idea, in theory. But it only works at shader level, not physical lighting like you said. Makes sense now that I think of it.

So Dawn2 is not even released yet and her eyes already need changes? If it's an extra morph, maybe Chris could integrate it?

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
No, it was indeed "Eyes" = "EyeWhites" in the original Dawn. I mean, the MAT zone names. "Eyes" never made sense, and it was even a bit confusing when it meant "eye whites", so the new name on Dawn 2 makes more sense. In old V4, she had both "Cornea" and "Eye Surface", but they were modeled so close together that her eyes rendered dark instead of shiny, probably because of AO and shadows.

Darn, the normal map sounded like a good idea, in theory. But it only works at shader level, not physical lighting like you said. Makes sense now that I think of it.

So Dawn2 is not even released yet and her eyes already need changes? If it's an extra morph, maybe Chris could integrate it?
Oh ok I got confused lol
The both materials on the eyes are very close together material setting are very important .
Well we can't change now materials it is little too late for that I wish I was early in production to give some hint on it.
Chris created the corneal bulge morph from what I saw after I was talking about . The rest is additional stuff add on for the creators like you , me or others to improve and expand the base, not for nothing we are in MEC4D creations for D2 thread .. where new ideas are born lol
Don't see it as a bad thing , people that care about the look of the eyes will get it anyway.

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
Thank you :) . On some angles she reminds me of Fergie the singer , eyebrows, eyes etc..
I hope you doing well and the snow not bother you too much , we getting spring weather in the next days again , and me again with cold , I hope it stops by the running sinuses , not for plan to go through it again like last month. I have so much stuff to finish ASAP
Maybe that's it. Maybe she reminds me of a singer or actor too. :)
We have now at day nice weather, but in the morning freaking cold. In the morning and evening still need heater :(
I am now more relaxed since my husband is since Friday last week out from the hospital and in Rehab. He already curse and swear on the phone, so he will be fine. :D
I am back to my work also, catching up .

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
Thanks Ken, working on the eyeballs and the eyelashes maps
here I throw in the Asian girl shape for a simple test . Nothing set in stone yet, just work in progress, I did not polished the shape yet , little clumpy
Already in love with her. She is perfect.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Still playing with the eyes , added some volumetrics to the corneas for test.
that would be a nice poster for "See no Evil " movie ;)
now back to the teeth materials and shapes..

Screenshot 2021-03-24 010253666.jpg

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Maybe that's it. Maybe she reminds me of a singer or actor too. :)
We have now at day nice weather, but in the morning freaking cold. In the morning and evening still need heater :(
I am now more relaxed since my husband is since Friday last week out from the hospital and in Rehab. He already curse and swear on the phone, so he will be fine. :D
I am back to my work also, catching up .
We have very warm every day now not need a heater, today inside home was 25C , but at night it get cold again, I have my fireplace on low right now, my graphic cards do the rest lol
I hope you hubby is OK
good to see you back around

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
We have very warm every day now not need a heater, today inside home was 25C , but at night it get cold again, I have my fireplace on low right now, my graphic cards do the rest lol
I hope you hubby is OK
good to see you back around
I live almost at 800 m altitude, still some patches of snow here and there, the morning is very cold, but the days getting more and more warm.
Yes, he will be fine, more or less, it was critical, he almost die. Was exhausting weeks, but now he will be in Rehab for 4 weeks, to gain his strength back. He loose 7 kg , which is a lot for him, but how I said, he is already inpatient and bored , swear a lot. he is on the way to get better. :D

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
The dentist time lol
started working on , new shapes made and shaders but small details need to be sculpt on high resolution and that what I am going to do today.
for now edited front 4 teeth, scaled down the back teeth and made some shaders.
more on the teeth later today and the refine look
Screenshot 2021-03-24 051635.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-24 054132.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-24 054132.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 118
  • Screenshot 2021-03-24 052138.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-24 052138.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot 2021-03-24 050134.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-24 050134.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 94

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
The dentist time lol
started working on , new shapes made and shaders but small details need to be sculpt on high resolution and that what I am going to do today.
for now edited front 4 teeth, scaled down the back teeth and made some shaders.
more on the teeth later today and the refine lookView attachment 68031
Wow, they are beautiful. Like real ones.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Here something for the morning coffee :drawing:

Screenshot 2021-03-24 083227_Joanna.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-24 083227.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-24 083227.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot 2021-03-24 085225.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-24 085225.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot 2021-03-24 081006.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-24 081006.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Love that face! I saw an entire article about the importance of showing that dark circle around the iris. :)
Thank you Ken, you know that the dark circle of the iris is just light bending illusion , when I use frontal flashlight to make picture of my own eye there is no dark circle . It is more intense when the light source is stronger on the side

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thank you Ken, you know that the dark circle of the iris is just light bending illusion , when I use frontal flashlight to make picture of my own eye there is no dark circle . It is more intense when the light source is stronger on the side

I was taking some drawing lessons, and that's when the dark circle around the iris came out. The first lesson was on how to draw the eye. :)