• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP MEC4D - Creations for Dawn 2 and Dusk 2 , work in progress

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
Exquisite work!! Digging this for sure.
Thank you Chris, I hope we have temp beta rig of Dusk 2 soon to test things out while working on the characters and clothing so everything will be ready for the alpha.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Tonight I am focusing on the eyeballs re-construction
below tests with the same mat settings but different eyeballs shapes.
the new shape create a beautiful ring around the iris and directional caustics of the light when using IOR, based on 3D scan of an eye
it create also reflection where the light enter the iris.
The ring color is based on the iris color so it change automatic even without direct light source.

Screenshot 2021-03-23 041201.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-23 041015.jpg

Screenshot 2021-03-23 031728.jpg
Screenshot 2021-03-23 031908.jpg

Last edited:

DanaTA

Distinguished
Tonight I am focusing on the eyeballs re-construction
below tests with the same mat settings but different eyeballs shapes.
the new shape create a beautiful ring around the iris and directional caustics of the light when using IOR, based on 3D scan of an eye
it create also reflection where the light enter the iris.
The ring color is based on the iris color so it change automatic even without direct light source.

View attachment 68008View attachment 68009
View attachment 68011View attachment 68012
Amazing! Are these done in Poser or DS? Will this work in both?

Dana

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
A-MA-ZING!!!

LOOKS SO REAL!!!
Thank you Chris, I get lost last night until 8 am in the morning until my husband bring me coffee and asked what keeps me up all night lol
Well Chris, you did this again ! I just can't stay away from D2s :)

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Wow! I wish you could do an eye morph like that for especially our kitty and big cat bases!
Amazing work as always, Cath!
Thank you , I could do that no problem , I don't have the base Kitty and big cat, I was out while it was released.
Great idea for some upcoming freebie.

Last edited:

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Is that the cornea bulge you had mentioned before, Cath?
Yes but here is more , there are 2 layers on the eyeballs , I slightly "retopology" the outside layer as there weren't enough edges to make what I needed. Then reshaped the inner part of the pupil/iris. Not every human eye has this kind of iris construction, I am one of them that do, that is why some people have rings around iris and others don't , it is because of the IOR and distance between the corneal bulge and iris . Some people like myself have volcano shaped iris muscle , others have it almost flat . Creating just the corneal bulge will create proper reflections on the cornea but the physical distance is not enough for caustics to take effect. The eye's IOR is total 2.70 (between cornea and iris), but we can't do that so only 1.35 IOR maximum or the eyes turns into gemstone according to PBR and too dark , so this is only one solution .
I made also morph for eyeballs for cartoon characters that is slightly different , but create beautiful effect when rendering in cartoon style

I do that to most of all figures we had in our community for many years. Since the eyes are always beautiful with a sparkle above and below, like they have a soul.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Hi, Is there an expected release date for for Dawn and Dusk 2? Cheers
Sorry can't tell you since it is not up to me here, I simply don't know , I am preparing just characters, clothing and shapes for the main base figures, the main base figures are in production by HW , as Alisa said already follow Chris thread here in the forum for Dawn2 and Dusk2, you will find there first about upcoming releases and everything related to the base figures .

Last edited:

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Amazing! Are these done in Poser or DS? Will this work in both?

Dana
Thanks my friend, of course it is for both Dana, Index of refraction is universal , if it not works in DS it will not work in Poser, sometimes objects need that extra physical construction like for example a double sided drinking glass to create a coustics .

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yes but here is more , there are 2 layers on the eyeballs , I slightly "retopology" the outside layer as there weren't enough edges to make what I needed.

Does that mean this is an eye replacement, like perhaps conformer eyes?

DanaTA

Distinguished
Thanks my friend, of course it is for both Dana, Index of refraction is universal , if it not works in DS it will not work in Poser, sometimes objects need that extra physical construction like for example a double sided drinking glass to create a coustics .
I have a list of refraction values for different liquids that I downloaded years ago. I used it on a beer image I made in DS for an entry into a contest...years ago. Of course, render engines do so much better things now, but it came out pretty nice at the time.

Dana

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I have a list of refraction values for different liquids that I downloaded years ago. I used it on a beer image I made in DS for an entry into a contest...years ago. Of course, render engines do so much better things now, but it came out pretty nice at the time.

Dana
Yes that is good to know and have handy , things can look better , no matter realistic or not , harmony is a must

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Does that mean this is an eye replacement, like perhaps conformer eyes?
I was about , but I found a solution to alter the topology flow, thankfully there are no textures used on this part so the UVs not matter , because without it , I would have to make new conformer corneas , one little extra edge would make things easier, I am not fan of conjunctiva, it is not more used today, eye whites (sclera ) surface is all you need plus just cornea , so I will have to block the rest of the conjunctiva with a mask, it will also dramatically speed up the render time and produce less noises on the sclera.
Below just made additional iris morph for let in more light into the eyes for maximum brilliance still under PBR values of course .
I need to create SSS thickness map too as my eyelids glowing too much, and at the end will work on the tear line since it picking up blood from my SSS
Eyes are the most complex organ in our face, same for the material settings , it is the first thing we see, need to be done well, after that the teeth.
eyes reflection.jpg

Last edited: