• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Genesis 8 Female in Poser

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Hi Pen, if your on a PC then it would be under Users> Public> Pixologic> GoZ Projects ... there is a "Default" folder and then I just created one next to it called "RAMWorks".

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
You can add weightmapping to geometry shells also...as that was one of the options offered when I was trying to work out how to do the masks.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
when I want to save something out it's pointed to the GoZ folder if I've used GoZ via DS or it will look in the default Programs Folder> Sub Folder or what ever. Very ANNOYING! lol

Oh yeah, happens to me too. Every time I want to save something, it goes back to it's own folder, even after I had previously saved to another folder. It doesn't remember the last location.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yea, it's quite annoying. I love when programmers make it so EACH tool that has an export option remembers the last folder it was in, even after a new session is started.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
This week I've got a commission to create an outfit for G3F, and man, I haven't rigged anything with general weights since the early 1990s! Say goodbye to TriAx - it's back to the very basics - a single map for all axis rotations (and scaling), and no more bulge maps. To compensate for the poor posing quality, DAZ has bloated the figure with JCMs, which is what has killed Victoria 3 and all Gen3 figures back in the day. It was so bad that when Gen4 figures came out, they had no JCMs at all, and became the most successful figures, even nowadays.

So I am painting the weights for a thigh to bend, and when I am done, I go to side-side, and the SAME map has to make do. If it doesn't, I edit it a bit, and ruin the BEND I had already done, so every joint is a compromise. Then enter the many JCM corrective shapes, which DS has no tools to edit or create.

I fail to see how this is "better" than TriAx - the next step in figure evolution? It takes me back to how I rig models for game engines, with all the inherited limitations, but what does that has to do with Poser/DS? Has DAZ decided to abandon this market and dedicate themselves to the gaming market, which has been ignoring them because of the obvious content licensing legal issues?

Don't know if this is just me, but with DS 4.9, the weight map brush kept disappearing, and some of the tabbed panels would stop responding so I couldn't get access to the ones I needed. I had to switch back to 4.8 to have any work done. Lucky me the commission wasn't for G8F, for she only works in 4.9. Nonetheless, general weights feel like a 20+ years step back in figure rigging, even more with the return of JCM bloating from the times of Generation 3 figures from over a decade ago.

General weight compromising was the reason why TriAx came out, so this makes no sense at all. Sounds great for compatibility with game engines, but what does that has to do with us?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Sorry Ken, but I create jcm's in ds all the time do you mean the lack of the morph brush you like to use in Poser?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I am not referring to the channel, but the morph shape itself. You can create a blank one, but the shape cannot be created or edited there.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
So your talking about the lack of morph brush or magnets not the actual jcm editing. Given how easy it is to send to and from Zbrush I don't personally see that as an issue. It takes one press of a button to send it to Zbrush and then back again.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
That was one item from a larger list when it comes to working with general weight mapped figures like Genesis 3 and 8.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
For my tastes in rigging the TriAX weight mapping system may give the artist more control but it's so overboard for some things. The Pan legs I made for Dusk are just a rigged prop (I couldn't figure out how to make them a conformer so I stopped until I had the time to figure that out.... I think that was late last year). The General weight mapping was easy and yea, I got all the bends I need for legs like that. Even got the hoof movement looking pretty natural. One of these days that project will get finished and in the store when I get the rest figured out and if I can make those legs a conformer that will be even better.

And yet Triax was an exceptional failure for them; less than 2000 items over the span of the two years the original Genesis figure was sold. This was partly because of the shared mesh between Male and Female, but not the only thing that impacted it. Genesis 2 did better with the return to the split mesh like Dawn and Dusk, but still down from what V4/M4 and company had, content wise. Genesis 3 has had the most content made (sold at DAZ3D, that is) made for it and with the simplicity of making content for G3 work on G8 (autofit really isn't needed), it has the potential to continue to bring in income despite the release of G8. I don't know what the content availability figures are at other stores, so I'm not going to say if they were similar to the ones I listed or not.

AllenArt

Eager
I wasn't talking about the companies. How hard would it be for a vendor at Renderosity to create something for DS, but also include the original OBJ. Do you think Renderosity would put up a fuss over it? I wonder.

Been thinking of doing this with my freebies after a friend suggested it. I'm not up on Poser Pro 11 like I probably should be and lost in the new material room. But I can at least supply an object for people to use with some of my stuff if they desire I guess ;). Might be the only way I can supply Poser compatible things for the moment. I have three pieces of software I'd like to learn and not enough hours in the day :p

Laurie

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh don't I know the name of THAT game. I'm registered for 6 classes at Udemy, and I'm lucky if I'll get them done in a reasonable amount of time. ~shakes head~

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
No you're not. I can assure you, I'm a lot older than you, and I'm still into learning. My motto is, "Any day you learn something new, is a good day!"

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
So your talking about the lack of morph brush or magnets not the actual jcm editing. Given how easy it is to send to and from Zbrush I don't personally see that as an issue. It takes one press of a button to send it to Zbrush and then back again.

Yes and the whole process of making morphs is way faster, more precise and easier in ZBrush too.