• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Genesis 8 Female in Poser

ibr_remote

Adventurous
This week I've got commissioned to create dozens of morphs for G8F, but she seems incompatible with CR2 Exporter.

Pardon me for late response to this thread (I seldom visit comunity discussion, to my detriment, perhaps). Can a rigged FBX of the morphed gen8F be an alternative forPoser use ? I have been exported using rigged FBX and they seem to work in Poser.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Pardon me for late response to this thread (I seldom visit comunity discussion, to my detriment, perhaps). Can a rigged FBX of the morphed gen8F be an alternative forPoser use ? I have been exported using rigged FBX and they seem to work in Poser.

Maybe. I haven't had much luck with FBX in either Poser nor DS. What params did you use?

ibr_remote

Adventurous
Ignore the actual items I am exporting (see Staging section of the export dialogue). These are the settings I use to get an FBX for use inside Poser Pro 11.

DAZ Studio 4.9 Pro - default20171028.duf 14-Dec-17 9_17_08 PM.png

ibr_remote

Adventurous
Ignore the actual items I am exporting (see Staging section of the export dialogue). These are the settings I use to get an FBX for use inside Poser Pro 11.

Note that when you save the PZ3 file, there will be an OBJ written out by Poser Pro 11. Although Textures and Morphs are embedded in the FBX file, this is not a commercially possible solution because of the exposure of the OBJ file.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Thanks! I will give it a try. Does this work with clothing and hair, or just the figure? I've noticed when props are attached, they end up out of place when exported.

James R.

Busy Bee
Okay, here's a quick test render. Yes, she's kind of ugly, but that's my fault. Posing is a challenge. Lots of little face parts to be posed, e.g. "rNasolabialUpper", "rLipLowerOuter", etc.

And I can't figure out how to sub-d the figure. Switching to Poser Unimesh like we usually would breaks the figure.

But this is Genesis 8 in Poser...posing!

I don't know why the FBX format didn't occur to me before. I've imported other functional FBX models into Poser, but I never assumed it could be done with Genesis 8. Nice discovery, @ibr_remote !

This figure was exported using DAZ Studio 4.10.

Gen8 Poser test 1.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I don't know why the FBX format didn't occur to me before. I've imported other functional FBX models into Poser, but I never assumed it could be done with Genesis 8.

It's not trivial because this has NOT always worked, James. I have tried FBX in DS several times, though several versions, and the figure always exploded in Poser. That's why I was asking what DS version was being used, which happens to be the latest.

James R.

Busy Bee
It's not trivial because this has NOT always worked, James. I have tried FBX in DS several times, though several versions, and the figure always exploded in Poser. That's why I was asking what DS version was being used, which happens to be the latest.

I agree, it's definitely not trivial! :) I find this to be quite exciting, myself, Ken.

If this method proves to be useful and useable (even with some work), a large door to a trove of characters is now open for Poser users!

For what it may be worth, the FBX characters I've brought into Poser in the past have not been conversions via DAZ Studio. I have no idea what program was used to produce them. But the figures were useable, similar to G8 above, with lots of strange (for Poser) parts.

ibr_remote

Adventurous
I fitted a Genesis 2 hair to a clothed Genesis 8 Female and exported the whole lot as FBX. I imported into Poser Pro 11. Adjust the materials (very simple adjustments), added SSS, posed the figure, and there she is:
Gen8FemPSR.jpg

ibr_remote

Adventurous
I only have the base figure and can't test a morphed version, sorry.... OH... my SSS setting for the sports top and shorts are not good... red speckles.

eclark1894

Visionary
Okay, here's a quick test render. Yes, she's kind of ugly, but that's my fault. Posing is a challenge. Lots of little face parts to be posed, e.g. "rNasolabialUpper", "rLipLowerOuter", etc.

And I can't figure out how to sub-d the figure. Switching to Poser Unimesh like we usually would breaks the figure.

But this is Genesis 8 in Poser...posing!

I don't know why the FBX format didn't occur to me before. I've imported other functional FBX models into Poser, but I never assumed it could be done with Genesis 8. Nice discovery, @ibr_remote !

This figure was exported using DAZ Studio 4.10.

View attachment 33465
Don't get used to it. Either DAZ or SM will do something soon to bork it up.:sneaky:

James R.

Busy Bee
Don't get used to it. Either DAZ or SM will do something soon to bork it up.:sneaky:

Heh. You know...that thought has been floating around in the back of my mind... "What will DAZ do when they find out it's this easy for Poser users...?" :cautious: But then again...Poser users buying Genesis 8 products means more $$$ for DAZ, so... Hmm.

Ah well. I'll have fun while it lasts! :D

eclark1894

Visionary
Heh. You know...that thought has been floating around in the back of my mind... "What will DAZ do when they find out it's this easy for Poser users...?" :cautious: But then again...Poser users buying Genesis 8 products means more $$$ for DAZ, so... Hmm.

Ah well. I'll have fun while it lasts! :D
Seriously, though. That equation hasn't changed in years, so why hasn't it happened before?

James R.

Busy Bee
Seriously, though. That equation hasn't changed in years, so why hasn't it happened before?

My guess is that they can't and won't prevent people from exporting FBX files if they want to continue to court the video game crowd. For them to prevent G8 from being exported as FBX (or at all), they'd probably have to redesign the figure in some way or enact some draconian copy protection of some kind. I am only hypothesizing.

But really, we Poser folks have been able to export DAZ assets into Poser as CR2's and OBJ's and other formats for a long, long time. DAZ hasn't stopped that, so maybe they won't seek to prevent this method.

I'm just grateful to have yet another option for figures I can use in Poser. And though it honestly is a pain to pose G8 with all her/his weird non-Poser-style "pose zones", I don't have to jump through hoops to export it for use in Poser. That's pretty cool. So I'm happy ibr_remote posted about this.

eclark1894

Visionary
My guess is that they can't and won't prevent people from exporting FBX files if they want to continue to court the video game crowd. For them to prevent G8 from being exported as FBX (or at all), they'd probably have to redesign the figure in some way or enact some draconian copy protection of some kind. I am only hypothesizing.

But really, we Poser folks have been able to export DAZ assets into Poser as CR2's and OBJ's and other formats for a long, long time. DAZ hasn't stopped that, so maybe they won't seek to prevent this method.

I'm just grateful to have yet another option for figures I can use in Poser. And though it honestly is a pain to pose G8 with all her/his weird non-Poser-style "pose zones", I don't have to jump through hoops to export it for use in Poser. That's pretty cool. So I'm happy ibr_remote posted about this.
As long as you're happy, dude, go with the flow! Merry Christmas!