• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

CWRW Product Previews

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
@CWRW Can I ask, how do you make your normal maps? My attempts so far have not been encouraging

Oh ugh. Normal maps- I struggle with them too trust me. There are limited programs for the Mac for making them and none are free, though at least most offer a free 30 day trial at least. PC folks have a LOT more options.

I have messed with the Filter Forge I won a couple of years ago, but I haven't found that satisfactory for trying to do normal maps for fur. Newer versions might have some newer presets available that are better. I don't know. I have FF 4.

The best so far I've come up with which I am not totally happy with is a Mac program called PixPlant 3. Essentially I make my traditional black and white bump map and then bring that into PixPlant and manipulate/render the generated normal map there. But then I still need to take it into Photoshop (CS6 is the version I own) and make adjustments which is a bit trial and error. Still want a better way. Ideally I've head of a free PC program ( I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head) that works as a plug-in for Photoshop/one can totally create and manipulate the normal map in PS, which I would much prefer.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Oh ugh. Normal maps- I struggle with them too trust me. There are limited programs for the Mac for making them and none are free, though at least most offer a free 30 day trial at least. PC folks have a LOT more options.

I have messed with the Filter Forge I won a couple of years ago, but I haven't found that satisfactory for trying to do normal maps for fur. Newer versions might have some newer presets available that are better. I don't know. I have FF 4.

The best so far I've come up with which I am not totally happy with is a Mac program called PixPlant 3. Essentially I make my traditional black and white bump map and then bring that into PixPlant and manipulate/render the generated normal map there. But then I still need to take it into Photoshop (CS6 is the version I own) and make adjustments which is a bit trial and error. Still want a better way. Ideally I've head of a free PC program ( I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head) that works as a plug-in for Photoshop/one can totally create and manipulate the normal map in PS, which I would much prefer.

Nvidia has a Photoshop plugin for creating normal maps. It's how I create most of mine, though @Bonnie2001 has been honing her ZBrush skills by doing some sculpting and normal map creation for me lately. NVIDIA Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop

Nvidia's will do, but there's nothing quite like creating normal maps using a ZBrush sculpt in the hands of an artist like @Bonnie2001.

Trust me folks, when she's old enough, Bonnie is gonna be one heck of a vendor! She has some mad ZBrush skills!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Nvidia has a Photoshop plugin for creating normal maps. It's how I create most of mine, though @Bonnie2001 has been honing her ZBrush skills by doing some sculpting and normal map creation for me lately. NVIDIA Texture Tools for Adobe Photoshop

Nvidia's will do, but there's nothing quite like creating normal maps using a ZBrush sculpt in the hands of an artist like @Bonnie2001.

Trust me folks, when she's old enough, Bonnie is gonna be one heck of a vendor! She has some mad ZBrush skills!

Yes but it is my understanding that the Nvidia plug-in only works on PC, not Mac? Has that changed?

If I could model worth a darn at all, I would consider something like ZBrush. Cool to hear about Bonnie! The 3D world can always use young fresh blood!

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Yes but it is my understanding that the Nvidia plug-in only works on PC, not Mac? Has that changed?

If I could model worth a darn at all, I would consider something like ZBrush. Cool to hear about Bonnie! The 3D world can always use young fresh blood!

I don't know about MAC on the Nvidia plugin and I did scour that page for a reference. It simply does not say.

@Bonnie2001 is learning how to apply her ZBrush skills to the Poser environment and doing beautifully. I bet she would enjoy working with you, especially on something like fur for the animals! Give her a holler - I hate the thought of having to share her, but she couldn't find a better mentor than you!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
The last version of it was released in 2013 so I doubt it has been updated to use on Mac OSX since then. I could theoretically run it using PC emulation software ie VMWare etc but I don't have a PC license for Photoshop so that kind of defeats the purpose there:) From what I've read, GIMP might be an option too. I have used it before on my hubby's Linux machines, but not for several years.

Always open to new ideas/input! I will contact Bonnie but I promise not "to take her over":) I doubt I am much of a mentor though! She can likely run circles around me:)

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
The last version of it was released in 2013 so I doubt it has been updated to use on Mac OSX since then. I could theoretically run it using PC emulation software ie VMWare etc but I don't have a PC license for Photoshop so that kind of defeats the purpose there:) From what I've read, GIMP might be an option too. I have used it before on my hubby's Linux machines, but not for several years.

Always open to new ideas/input! I will contact Bonnie but I promise not "to take her over":) I doubt I am much of a mentor though! She can likely run circles around me:)

Well, I see an awful lot of beautiful ZBrush sculpts but not many of them transferred to Poser. Just like anything else, you can use it beautifully, but converting your skills to real world products is sometimes a lot harder than most folks think.

Something simple like ZBrush sculpted stitches look wonderful, but texturing them from a normal map for Poser is a whole different ballgame.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Thanks for all the info @CWRW and @Glitterati3D I have the Nvidia plugin for Photoshop and while it turns out a descent looking map I must be doing some thing wrong some where as I am not getting very encouraging results in Poser.
I am sore tempted to see if I can learn Zbrush but not sure yet

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Thanks for all the info @CWRW and @Glitterati3D I have the Nvidia plugin for Photoshop and while it turns out a descent looking map I must be doing some thing wrong some where as I am not getting very encouraging results in Poser.
I am sore tempted to see if I can learn Zbrush but not sure yet

I'll start a different thread to share some of my normal map creation tips with the Nvidia plugin. No need to tie up Laurie's WIP thread with it, especially since there is no MAC version for her.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist

NormalMap-Online

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
LOL def on the list! Got a little sidetracked again recently, but for good reason and which should be revealed shortly.

It is official! HiveWire3D's Animal Release & Sale! on Renderosity.com

I am updating Harry now for his debut at Rendo but aiming to get back on my own various Big and Little Kitty projects very soon:)

Those are currently:

Black/White/Tuxedo Kitty Set
Calico Kitty Set
Siamese Kitty Set

and Lion!!! Also working on Poser Hair Room and LAMH hair him.

And then continue updating older Harry content to SF and Iray, doing matching wings for each coat and so on.

Deer Family, Thistle and so on and so on.......