• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP HiveWire Dragon Begins

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Wold love it if a totally new approach to this dragon were thought of.
For instance as one of the morphs at least make it like Toothless from that great animation How To Train Your Dragon.
He is so unlike any dragon I have seen, Smoother skinned and black wider head no horns and fins on his tail.
There is also a cool creature at DAZ I Kind of liked (The Behemoth) that has the combination of a shark and dragon like creature. Sleek ns deadly and awesome looking. Nt saying t make yours like that but as an idea.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Poor Chris. When it came to the other animals at least there were real models to go off of. It's not as if there is a definitive dragon. I mean just look at all the dragons in How to Tame Your Dragon, and these are only some of them.

But then that's why having things like the horns be props/conforming will be good. And looking at those tail morphs, it looks like you're having fun Chris.

Of all of them I love toothless....the black one in the middle foreground. :)

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Okay, one more tongue morph for tonight.

This one could have several names to it. Can't decide which one. Any ideas?

Tongue-

Learning from the cows,
or Nose candy,
or Dousing the fire.

View attachment 10454 View attachment 10455

How about a SNEATER Morph?
(Snot Eater)

But if you onclude this one Please be sure to include a nostril expansion morph to do it justice so we can help that nasty beast get in there real good! LOL

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
By the way, now that folks know what this base will look like, we need a name for him.

Any ideas for a name for this dragon? We have Kong for our Gorilla. Kitty for our Big Cat. Harry for our Horse. Sora for the anime type character for Dawn. But what should we name this dragon?

We also still need names for our House Cat and Doggy.

A couple quickie ideas.

PuffnStuff
Kevin (just cause)
Roar
Devin
Flame Spot
Hotshot
Torchy
Iggy
Ash
Soot
TorchieMicTorchFace

Maybe these will get some ideas going.
And another beak face with the thin smooth neck morph.

View attachment 10668

Grin! Call him Grin and if a female Grinnie! Sorry haven't had my coffee yet.

That beak option would look cool shorter and flared breathing holes with fierce eyes on Harry. Add wings and use that thick dragon-like tail with hairy tuft and voila! COOL Fantasy mount

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
There's a whole bunch of classic fantasy/mythological monsters which people doing development or illustration for whatever projects would find extremely useful. And you've got pieces of them popping up all over these WiP threads. Pieces, because they all seem to be hybrids made up of bits of this creature and bits of that. Sphinx and Manticore and Griffin all seem to start from a big cat base, Hippogryff uses the horse base. Chimera throws all kinds of things together.

There's a Griffin and a Hippogryff over at DAZ, but they are *old* and my recollection is that the rigging is a bit lacking. I'd rather like to see a Cockatrice. I don't think anybody has done one of those (although that may be a job for Ken...)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I had to look Cockatrice up JOdel, as I've never heard of it. The dictionary compared it to a Basilisk, which I remember from the Harry Potter books/movies.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yeah, there are only really three monsters that I can think of that are stone-turners. And those are the Basilisk, the Gorgon, and the Cockatrice.

The Cockatrice tends to show up in Heraldry from time to time. t's rather picturesque if nothing else.

D

Deleted member 325

I had to look Cockatrice up JOdel, as I've never heard of it. The dictionary compared it to a Basilisk, which I remember from the Harry Potter books/movies.
I actually would not compare a Cockatrice to a Basilisk, aside from that both are mythological and are reported to turn other creatures to stone. Appearance wise they are very different. Where as a Basilisk is typically described or pictured as reptilian or serpentine in nature with varying number of legs (from 0 to 6 depending on mythological source), a Cockatrice is typically characterized by much more avian features, most often a demonic rooster of sorts complete with wings, feathers, a cockscomb, but also much more monstrous with razor sharp talons and beak. Much artwork tends to depict the Cockatrice in a much more Reptilian or even Draconic style at times though, and more modern encyclopedias and online references wrongly associate the name as another name for Basilisk. Sadly, as with many medieval and pre-medieval legends, it has become muddled and confused by passage almost exclusively through word of mouth. As with all mythological beasts, it was popular in heraldry.

I think this is a rather good depiction of the Cockatrice.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Yes, actually, it is. The depictions in heraldry vary by the artist. The main constants are the rooster head and the dragon/serpent tail. The wings are sometimes bat wings, but it always has wings, and it's always 2-legged. A lot of times it is basically just depicted as a wyvern with a rooster head, but sometimes the artists get more fanciful. That one is a good one.