• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP HiveWire Dragon Begins

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Yeah, we can still use this Dragon Base later and create something very different. But for this one I've used the same mesh here as the Big Cat, House Cat, and Dog for this beast. We'd like to utilize Paul's same rig (with adjustments) as the Big Cat. Make some adjustments to the UVs but maps can be shared for these critters, as well as morphs. We'll make the Dragon a stand alone figure but other animal morphs could also be applied to degrees for unique looks. We'd like to have this Dragon be a base to create other "dragon breeds" like we did for Harry. That would be cool, right?

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
By the way, now that folks know what this base will look like, we need a name for him.

Any ideas for a name for this dragon? We have Kong for our Gorilla. Kitty for our Big Cat. Harry for our Horse. Sora for the anime type character for Dawn. But what should we name this dragon?

We also still need names for our House Cat and Doggy.

A couple quickie ideas.

PuffnStuff
Kevin (just cause)
Roar
Devin
Flame Spot
Hotshot
Torchy
Iggy
Ash
Soot
TorchieMicTorchFace

Maybe these will get some ideas going.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Drake? (although I do like Ash)

How about just good old Puss for they house cat?
(and I kinda like Doggy, it makes me thing of Shaggydog the Direworlf from Game of Thrones :D)

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That's a great idea Satira! Keeps the stella theme going :) (although none of the other animals have)

Lynx and Leo are really the only cat stars/constellations, there's quite a few dog ones.

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I like PuffnStuff, but I think it sounds a bit too cartoonie, if you know what I mean. Of the others you suggested, Chris, I think I like Ash best, though Rae's suggestion of Drake isn't bad at all, and I also like Satira's Draco.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Sirius for the pup, I like that. Not sure about Greebo for the house cat. Hmmmm . . .

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Kevin (ROFL!!) I like!!:)
Dragon Names - I'm rather partial to Spot even though it's the traditional doggie name.
Scorch
Flash
Furyon
Spot
Bolt
Diablo
Ember
Zippo
Inferno
Glimmer
Hail
Sleet
Mort
Thunder
Swoop
Malfoy

Last edited:

eclark1894

Visionary
I only have one. When I was growing up, one of my favorite cartoons was "Beanie and Cecil". Cecil was a sea-sick sea serpent. I know he looks nothing like him, but that's the name I'm stuck on. Especally. if you're going to keep those tongue morphs.

eclark1894

Visionary
Of course, there is also Zok of Herculoids fame. I loved those laser eyes, and then he'd whip that tail around and that fired a laser beam too.

Excuse, now I have to go relive my childhood.:)

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
@eclark1894 , I was trying to come up with that !! ZOK!! :) hehe ....... Loooong time ago that was one of my faves too!! I guess I'm really dated now! LOL

Gloop and Gleep! Though never really understood why Dorno called his parents by their first names?!

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Working up some morphs now.

DragonWork79.JPG

Ridgeback

DragonWork80.JPG

Neck Smooth

DragonWork81.JPG

Neck Thin.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Can you arch his neck ? Like.... erm a pose or some such? Kind of like you can arch or tuck Harry's head/neck. I'm curious as to how deep his chest will be in that pose and how the neck to chest transition will look for placing the riders legs in front of the wings or behind them?

You might move the wings behind the body shoulder joint there as it might allow for a cleaner riding platform.

Might also add a bit of a dome shape like some lizards have to the back from above where the wings are attached now.

Untitled-2 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Yeah, the critter is not rigged yet and so we can get the look you might be after once that rig is in, to position the neck in a nice S curl.

Not really excited about moving the shoulder of the wing behind the animal's scapula. My thinking is that a rider could still rest his leg in front of the shoulder just fine as is. Depends on how large the Dragon is to the rider too I suppose. A rider could also lay forward with his legs behind the wing, like a bullet bike rider.

I like your idea for a raised dome or ridge along the torso and top of animal.