• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP HiveWire Dragon Begins

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Like the fork and the deep groove very lizard like. I found this one! You might call it windshield wipers.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
That does make one wonder what does one say to the dragon they are riding?.......... Giddy up? ......... and Woah ...... ? not sure if that will cut it with a beast that large LOL!

View attachment 10623

Ha, not sure what you'd say to the Dragon... maybe something like "fly when you're ready" or "stay here and torch me" "Whatever you like", "You decide".

I do like the helmet on the Dragon.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
That does make one wonder what does one say to the dragon they are riding?.......... Giddy up? ......... and Woah ...... ? not sure if that will cut it with a beast that large LOL!

My someone riding a dragon was saying, "Sweeeet!" This is an image I made about a dozen years ago in memory of my son Jeff. He loved dragons.

image.jpeg

Freyfaxi

Adventurous
Looking at some of the pics here of dragon saddles and riders made me think. Given the sheer *size* of the dragons, do the saddles come with ladders for the riders to mount ? Even if the dragons are oblidging enough to lie on their bellies, it's still a loooong way up into that saddle :)

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
My someone riding a dragon was saying, "Sweeeet!" This is an image I made about a dozen years ago in memory of my son Jeff. He loved dragons.

View attachment 10625
Gorgeous Image!! I really love your use of colors and the vastness of it! Sweet!!! works very well also!! Sorry to hear that it is in memory of your son, but it's a very up beat image!

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Beautiful image LisaB
A nice armor plated harness with flying saddle would be neat too.
Oh I second that! (I wonder if it could have a morph to fit the Big Cat too :D)

Looking at some of the pics here of dragon saddles and riders made me think. Given the sheer *size* of the dragons, do the saddles come with ladders for the riders to mount ? Even if the dragons are oblidging enough to lie on their bellies, it's still a loooong way up into that saddle :)
I would think a nice rope ladder would work, easy to roll up out of the way when flying orrunning around on the ground. :)

D

Deleted member 325

I had a few ideas for morphs, just as suggestions-

Teeth:
• Length, Point, and Curl for multiple teeth along the front and sides for variations.
Nose:
• Nostril Size
• Nostril Flare
• Nostril Shape
• Nostril Gone
• Beak Point (say, a morph to sharpen that front of the snout to a beak like point)
Toes:
• Length
• Thickness
• Claw Length

Could probably think of a lot more. I love dragons, and few have the range of versatility I would truly love to see. I have often thought, when I ran games involving dark corridors and large reptiles, that each dragon should be truly unique and memorable, and warrant it's own special description. Would love to see a 3D dragon with the sort of range of morphs and options that are often given to the Male and Female figures to allow artists to create truly memorable characters with their creatures.

eclark1894

Visionary
Here's the feet I'd like to go with. I think it's a good mix from this Big Cat mesh.

View attachment 10602 View attachment 10603

Big Cat Leopard Base.

View attachment 10604

Dragon Feet.
Okay, Chris, don't hate me, but personally, I think the dragon feet should be more talon-like for ripping, gripping and perching. Of course that would probably make more sense in a mountainous terrain. Otherwise, the ones you have do work well. A morph might work, but there might also be some issues that require extra rigging.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
If you extended the toes out a little more and talons, you could get those clutching and grasping options, but there are lots of types of dragon feet. Some are way more cat-like in appearance.

Lol found this one too. So, Ziggie do you think Harry the horse is beautiful?
This is the version of the Lizard Raspberry ?

You might also put a knight's lance on the saddle there and then we can go to the Dragon Jousting match.

Last edited:

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
It's looking great as always Chris. I'm wondering on the feet if maybe there should be a morph so you can make the toes longer and thinner. It's not that there's anything wrong with the feet as is, but I think that would be a good option for people who wanted a different set of feet. Personally I think of dragons as having those really long thin toes.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
He's looking awesome! Lisa, lovely image you!!

3WC

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Just my 2 cents on the feet, seems like they should be bigger and longer.
Also seems to me that the hindquarters should be bigger and more muscular than the shoulder/forearms.
Just my opinions, but maybe will spark some ideas, I love it overall.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I love dragons as well. A good friend sent me a calendar years ago for my birthday with a gorgeous dragon image for each month created by a very talented artist. I don't recall the artist's name, but it was wonderful to have 12 months of gorgeous dragons too look at. :)

Keep up the good work Chris. ;)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't know anything about modeling, but I think Chris wanted to keep this dragon as a morph of the Big Cat, if it was changed too much I don't think it could be a morph anymore? (I love this idea so we can have dragon kitties/puppies). He could always later make a more lizard/familiar like dragon.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
I don't know anything about modeling, but I think Chris wanted to keep this dragon as a morph of the Big Cat, if it was changed too much I don't think it could be a morph anymore? (I love this idea so we can have dragon kitties/puppies). He could always later make a more lizard/familiar like dragon.

That's exactly right! Great input though from everyone here. Will still give me ideas for some morphs on this Dragon Base. I'll probably start in on a few of those morphs now, actually.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That looks handy Chris :p hehehe

I really can't wait to play with this baby! Skulls and Dragons - right up my ally!

eclark1894

Visionary
That's exactly right! Great input though from everyone here. Will still give me ideas for some morphs on this Dragon Base. I'll probably start in on a few of those morphs now, actually.
Sorry, Chris. for the life of me I thought the intention was to use the cat only as a starting point for a separate figure.