• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP HiveWire Dragon Begins

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Chris, I REALLY liked the dragon head with NO horns... he was different ... is there a way to have both options? (or are the base of the horns now a permanent part of the mesh- ie: you can't go back?) It was such a different look and I like his head so much...

The horns will be a prop option. Thanks for liking his head as it is too.

Last edited:

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
A tail morph option. I like this one.

DragonWork32.JPG
DragonWork33.JPG

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
That's it for tonight. Back to Doggy teeth tomorrow, then I'll dance with this again tomorrow night and work on the feet and toes I suspect.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
I like the no horn version too it's more along the Dragon's of Pern series stylized dragon types.

Although, this was a few years ago for a horned version sort of like the ones in the Dragonlance novels. Khellendros the Blue
Natural Disaster2.jpg
Dragon Head 177.jpg

Last edited:

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Poor Chris. When it came to the other animals at least there were real models to go off of. It's not as if there is a definitive dragon. I mean just look at all the dragons in How to Tame Your Dragon, and these are only some of them.

But then that's why having things like the horns be props/conforming will be good. And looking at those tail morphs, it looks like you're having fun Chris.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Given the length of that tail, one would expect your dragon to be related to a Monitor lizard. Their tails go on *forever*.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Having debated the tail length myself on several occasions you just have to find that happy medium. If you make it too short, it looks more dinosaur like than dragon. Also if you take into account that it's also probably not going to be sticking strait out but curved in some fashion like a banner behind the beast or around the beast or above the beast the S shaped curves do tend to make it look shorter than what it actually is.

Todd McFarlane, of Spawn fame , does a great job on his dragon sculptures when tail length comes into play.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I like those wings too NP, not too big like some. (and would look awesome on Harry too)

I always thought Toothless (the black dragon) was very cat-like in his behaviour :)

eclark1894

Visionary
Having debated the tail length myself on several occasions you just have to find that happy medium. If you make it too short, it looks more dinosaur like than dragon. Also if you take into account that it's also probably not going to be sticking strait out but curved in some fashion like a banner behind the beast or around the beast or above the beast the S shaped curves do tend to make it look shorter than what it actually is.

Todd McFarlane, of Spawn fame , does a great job on his dragon sculptures when tail length comes into play.
There's always Shenron from Dragonball Z.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
There's always Shenron from Dragonball Z.
With the oriental dragons they tend to be all tail =) as per their name Lung but as in the wind. They are the wind Kami's of the sky. I like that idea too.
First attempt at painting in PS.
Oriental Dragon 5 copy.jpg

Then there is my little Auri 12 inches full grown gem thief and affection hound and will curl up on your feet during cold winter nights near the camp fire.
Gos.jpg

PhotoGG

Contributing Artist
Ok, women... turn into dragons... hmmm... there's a world of trouble for somebody to get into here and I think I'm just going to stand back and see how that all comes out! LOL

Looks like a great start for what has the potential to be a fantastic product. I'm very excited to see how this progresses. I'm also curious with Faery_Light, if major portions of mapping are universal to the various characters, that would be a huge benefit. ... until somebody maps the dragon with dawn and we're back to the whole women to dragons entanglement. ;-)