• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP HiveWire Dragon Begins

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Great to see folks excited about a HiveWire Dragon. This is going to be awesome. More work from this afternoon. This is still a morph from Kitty.

Going to break to take grand kids for a walk by the lake. Then back for more.

DragonWork9.JPG
DragonWork10.JPG
DragonWork11.JPG
DragonWork12.JPG
DragonWork13.JPG
DragonWork14.JPG
DragonWork15.JPG
DragonWork16.JPG

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've wanted a realistic looking dragon that still looked friendly and I think once textured, this will fit the bill quite nicely :D

(so hard to do since friendly ones often look cartoony and realistic ones are mostly scary)

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I agree. They are either way too toonish or to angry looking. This face is a face you would like to greet!

Enjoy the walk Chris!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Wow! Wow!...Just Wow! I love dragons! You just amaze me the way you have taken Dawn through all these changes. Anytime I started thinking a morph is too hard to do I think of what you've done here. This definitely :doesnotsuck:
:bounce::bounce::happyflip::happydance::inverted::applause::applause::applause::flowers::flowers::snoopydance:
I'm with Lyne on this one totally...totally excited!

Last edited:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh WOW Chris!! He looks magnificent! Is this going to be a morph or figure??
I'm not sure Rose, but if I had to guess, I'd say a figure. The Gorilla which was a morph, required Dusk to work. I don't think that's going to be the case here. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I could be totally off base here.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I think it'll be freestanding...it would need a lot of changes to the rigging but the maps could probably be fairly similar or have alternate uv's

Just like the cat will be freestanding from the horse. Chris mentioned adding in geometry which would rule out a morph.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Also dragon's tend to have an extra set of limbs for the wings. Although of course the wings could be a separate figure. Still I think the dragon may be a bit extreme for even that morph. We'll just have to wait for @Rae134 's dragon ponies :whistling:

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Not sure, but I would imagine this will end of being a free standing figure and not require another. However, so far this is the same UVs and mesh as the Big Cat. If it doesn't have to be more extreme this could work and share with Big Cat, House Cat, and Doggy the same maps and morphs. Could be kinda cool. But we'll have to see.

Also would be awesome to see Ken's Pegasus feather wings on this. Might be kinda cool to just have conforming wing options that can be additive and interchangable. Thoughts?

Could also include some face shaping morphs to a degree. And add on horns for different looks. Not interested in getting too carried away as a base dragon to feel that so many other types need to be included. But perhaps a couple options for horns and such. Then later if it's supported, could create some add on shapes and styles. Thoughts on this idea too?

I'll still do more with tail and feet. Would be nice to have some tail tip morphs too. I'll make one that I think will be cool and show everyone.

DragonWork17.JPG
DragonWork18.JPG
DragonWork19.JPG
DragonWork20.JPG
DragonWork21.JPG
DragonWork22.JPG
DragonWork23.JPG
DragonWork24.JPG

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
haha you would get Dragon Ponies GG if someone would do wings for Harry :D (Faery_Lights and my BeJewelled textures would make pretty dragon ponies)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
My thoughts Chris, would be to keep it the same mesh if you can, would be awesome to use the same textures as the other animals. Its looking awesome so far.
Different horn props would be great. And if the new feathered wings can work that would be great too. I'd love dragon/bat wings as well tho (I don't want much :p hehehe)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Sounds good Chris...if you can manage the dragon without adding in extra geometry it certainly opens up the possibilities.

I like the idea of conforming wings and also can see different tails being useful.

The idea of different types of dragons with morphs and textures is a good one...

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Chris, you may want to look at Arki's Ocean Queen dragon at RDNA if you are trying to get ideas how to 'break up' the figure. Having been put in the dragon mood, I'm playing with it now, and it has all sorts of conforming add ons that let you create different looking dragons off the base figure. Also the wing membrane is a smart prop that has been very cleverly attached to the 'frame' of the wing. It can be a bit of a pain to assemble, partly because the thumbnails are not very useful, but the use of conforming figures is nice.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
My thoughts Chris, would be to keep it the same mesh if you can, would be awesome to use the same textures as the other animals. Its looking awesome so far.
Different horn props would be great. And if the new feathered wings can work that would be great too. I'd love dragon/bat wings as well tho (I don't want much :p hehehe)

I'd personally like this one to be from the same mesh also. We wouldn't get a long necked dragon past what it is now without compromising bends. This could serve as the base look, and we can always start with this one for yet another more extreme version.

I agree though, the bat/dragon wings would be a must. I just think that Ken's wings would be an awesome version.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I think his neck is perfect length now, but maybe his body and legs need stretching a little to match :D

Yes I agree, Ken's wings would be an awesome version, I can see this beauty with a feathered crest and maybe some on the tail and here and there. But my big wish is bat wings for the horse so if the dragon wings can be used for Harry too it would be a bonus :D (so would the horns)

I also agree, if later you want to make a more extreme dragon then this base would be a good starting point.