• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

CWRW Product Previews

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Very stunning work Laurie. I'm digging the random nature of the fur on the cub with regard to the direction.

Impressive.

Thanks Chris! I AM liking the coat scruffiness but I think it's still a little TOO scruffy:) So that is one thing I am working on. Learned some new things about LAMH which is good:)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks all!

I made some real progress on the African Leopard LAMH preset last night! (def worth clicking on these to see the full size)

LeopardAfricanLAMHtest1.jpg

LeopardAfricanLAMHtest3.jpg

I want to "add" some belly fur, back of back legs fur and some around the pecs/chest. We'll see how I do with that:)
LeopardAfricanLAMHtest3a.jpg

I also want to try to do a longer haired Asian (Amur) Leopard preset. We'll see how that goes. That preset could possibly work well for a Snow Leopard too. We'll see.

Going to test this preset on my Black Panther next and see how that looks.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Thanks all!

I made some real progress on the African Leopard LAMH preset last night! (def worth clicking on these to see the full size)

View attachment 34225

View attachment 34226

I want to "add" some belly fur, back of back legs fur and some around the pecs/chest. We'll see how I do with that:)
View attachment 34227

I also want to try to do a longer haired Asian (Amur) Leopard preset. We'll see how that goes. That preset could possibly work well for a Snow Leopard too. We'll see.

Going to test this preset on my Black Panther next and see how that looks.

I think I would be giggling like a mad-woman watching these render and seeing all those hairs show up. So very cool to see your progress.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Love what you're doing, Laurie...tho they make me sad cause I can't use the darn LAMH.... Assume since your doing that, the actual maps are DONE now, for the lion family?!?! Can't wait to get my hands on those new big cats!

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm hoping the poser hair room will get similar attention. As the LAMH presets are looking gorgeous.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I'm hoping the poser hair room will get similar attention. As the LAMH presets are looking gorgeous.

That thought had crossed my mind, to be honest Sunfire. While those LAMH presets are gorgeous it looks like Poser users are going to have to settle for the consolation prize. No disrespect to CWRW and the team but this is beginning to look like a DAZ exclusive and that would be a bitter disappointment to a lot of people.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I would like to offer Poser Hair products too- I am still working on (and struggling with) a decent shader for the dynamic fur. It can look decent enough with really flat lighting or on darker coats but ugh in general the hair shader looks pretty awful for animal fur and even more so in Superfly, IMO. I really wish SM would do something more about that. I do still plan to pick away at it and see if I can find a solution.

Also to be honest, once one starts to get the hang of LAMH it IS a LOT faster to make presets for it than the Poser Hair Room. Though we do have our wonderful Cliff Bowman working on a great product to help speed up and automate a lot of Hair Room tasks. Tiny has been in on the testing team for it too, and she is feeling positive about being able to make Poser hair products faster now.

So don't give up- but honestly, yeah, it might be a while.

I'll be brave and show some of my experiments here. Be kind, please:) Really the big issue is trying to not end up with garish "fireflies" with anything but super flat lighting: (and it is exponentially worse on the longer hair like my lion mane in SF)

CougarFurSF.jpg Leopard Hair SF Shader1_2.jpg Cougar SF Shader 2.jpg ThistleHairSF1.jpg

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Love what you're doing, Laurie...tho they make me sad cause I can't use the darn LAMH.... Assume since your doing that, the actual maps are DONE now, for the lion family?!?! Can't wait to get my hands on those new big cats!

Getting closer to done on lion textures, both regular and white lion. Aiming to get those wrapped up by the end of next week and out for seam testing etc. Still need to do some clean-up on the MATs. Chris and I are working on some little things too to improve him even more. Like I said in my post I just took a little break from the lion to mess with LAMH (having given THAT a rest for a little while:) and give me a "fresh eye" on the lion textures as I get down to the more final details on him.

Honestly I am liking the modeled mane for the lion much better than my Poser and LAMH hair efforts so far. And that will have morphs while my Poser and LAMH manes will not have any. One of the things Chris and I are doing for the modeled mane will make it even better.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Thank you for your reply Laurie. Yes I do agree with you that Posers Hair Room is in serious need of updating and has been for a long time. Sadly its something that is unlikely to happen given that most of the suggestions I've seen at SM for the next version seem to be centred around making Poser into whichever persons particular favourite piece of software (insert your own choice here!) happens to be. However, thats bye the bye. My concern is that does create an imbalance, and for a site which (almost uniquely) represents DAZ and Poser equally that could prove a problem. My point of view is that of an artist. I've spent my whole life in the arts both visually and musically and have managed to reach a comfortable level and make a living from it.
I would argue with anyone that there is no one currently in the business who can reach your very high standards (and although the LAMH presets are add-ons they would be fools not to use them) for the same reason that I would argue that there is no better modeller than Chris around today. However, from the point of view of the prospective customer looking at the renders you and others have produced brings the realization that work of that standard becomes unattainable if your chosen software is Poser. The corollary of that is, do I buy it just to support Hivewire, probably without using it, and to be honest its why I no longer use the Hivewire cats, or do I just not bother. Hopefully, someone out there has the answer in the not too distant future. Regards!

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Thanks Mythocentric!

I do think it will be possible to get good results with Poser Hair- it's just not being a fast or easy solution:) Also obviously it is taking me some time to learn all these new things and I am not a super fast learner- I just have to mess with things over and over (and take breaks from it when I get frustrated:) til I "get it".

So don't give up! :)