• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Was hoping there would be at least a few things that would be new to you. I seem to have lost track of the tinker toys....there used to be a free set of tinker toys, but the link was not working, and neither were the Legos, so I'll have to go hunting for those later :)

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
Cookie Blues was a 3D short that was created in 2001 by Jason Taylor. I did the Gingerbread Jam render a few years ago for the holidays :)

Thank you! I wish I could say that I have a formula but I just keep playing with the lights until I get something that looks halfway decent.

It rendered fine in PP2014.

skylab

Esteemed
Here's a Christmas tree with train animation that was done several years ago. The toy train was a freebie, but the link to it in the holiday list wasn't functioning...so I'll have to put it on my "hunt for it" list. It was a nice little train, dial controlled so that if you moved the engine, the whole thing would follow along nicely, and stay on the track.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre :)

I must have had tired eyes this morning....I was missing typos, and I missed the alignment of the eyes on the Paul McCartney character for La Femme. I know how it happened...I kept changing the camera angles, trying to make up my mind, and it's impossible to get eyes aligned properly from any sort of side view, even just a little. I missed doing the final alignment check. So, rather than leave it wonky for other folks to fix, I fixed it, and re-saved the character pose. I don't like to release something halfway done. So here it is, version 2 of the Paul character for La Femme 1.1 with male morphs. The files are named the same, so installing version 2 will just overwrite the first version. Sorry for the mix up.
I think that's three :oopsie: this week, so maybe it's time for a long nap.

Attachments

• PAUL - LAFEMME VER2.zip
    218.7 KB · Views: 180

Terre

Renowned
I think my mother has had a second run in with the fact that Autocorrect can't be disabled on her new phone. Her morning text said she was going for a hike in ponderous pines. I'm pretty sure that what she typed was Ponderosa.

skylab

Esteemed
Haha...sometimes autocorrect can create more challenges than it helps. I have enough trouble trying to engage my own brain, especially when tired, without having a machine attempting to engage its brain at the same time :)

When I was in high school, our typing class only had typewriters that would be considered candidates for the Smithsonian. It was great discipline for not ever arriving to class late, since late arrivals were stuck using the Underwoods...haha. The Royals were a little less challenging. It's hard to believe now, but there were no letters or numbers on the keys...typing was done by finding our way from the "home row", while gazing at our typing textbook. Sometimes I think we might choose our words more carefully on forums and social media if we had to exert the effort that it took in the old typing classes. But it is, however, refreshing to hope that the old "dead horse", ongoing software battle thread can finally rest in peace...haha :)

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
I was just thinking about the never-ending Genesis in Poser question....would it possibly save a lot of damage control and clean up if someone composed a sensible explanation as to why the two cannot merge assets....that would amount to a well-worded paragraph, rather than several pages of heated exchange...since people's minds tend to shut down, and their ears definitely shut off, during confrontation. The explanation could contain some technical lingo, but it also has to reach the typical hobbyist...that is, Genesis isn't a model, it's a technology, and is as different from Poser models as stretchy Play-Doh is from a Barbie doll. Since DAZ owns the stretchy Genesis, the Stretchy Slime Police will get you if you try to use the recipe for the secret sauce without permission.

But take heart, all is not lost. Poser 11 began its own journey with creation of stretchy models, and since it was recently bought by Renderosity, we're watching with great curiosity and hope that we will eventually have our own brand of stretchy stuff, and our own secret sauce. We can already see evidence of it, if we look closely at La Femme, or Paul and Pauline, while in Preview Mode in Poser 11 (see below). The black things in La Femme's face are chips that can be shoved, and pulled...so finally, at last, a face can be "molded" like clay. The same thing can be accomplished spinning the parameter dials, for us old timers who don't like too much change to our Poser routine. The one thing that sets Poser apart from other 3D software is how it has successfully provided, as much as possible, backwards compatibility, so that we're not losing the investments in our runtime, worth far more than any software, and valued by Poser users far more than any "new and improved" technology...many of us have been collecting for over a decade, so we're hauling a lot of stuff. Poser doesn't need to be like any other software....it just needs to be the best possible technology for its loyal users, but not necessarily its critics....always reaching upward toward improvements, without alienating the customers who have had their long established workflow, which, in some cases, includes people's livelihood. Because of the complexity involved, it's serves no purpose to keep flailing away at things that can never happen. But hopefully, those who know what they are doing, will help to provide new tools and new ways of doing things...and while we wait for the next Poser release, we can practice using some of the new features that already exist (see face chips below).

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Linda....oh no, you broke your foot...I'm sorry to hear that. Man, that can put a wrinkle in your routine.

:(

skylab

Esteemed
Hi everyone :) I enjoyed my restful day, and I hope Linda has been able to do the same, despite her broken foot. Surely sorry that happened, and hope that it's not painful.

And...auto correct is usually one of the first things I disable in browsers and text software....so that I don't have to compete with it while attempting to type. I don't do texting at all, so I've not had the issue on a phone. I always figured as long as email and IM was free, why pay to send text messages...Gmail does both nicely :)

:bee: