• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

I love them, too! I don't watch today's show mostly for the reasons you cite, Sky...and what an accurate way to describe it, too. I mostly watch METV, Antenna TV, and the home improvement and cooking channels. I also like the British mysteries and The Antique Road Show on PBS. I just started watching a series on Netflix called The Casketeers which is about a New Zealand family who owns and runs a funeral home. There's also a cooking show set in Ireland called Lords and Ladles that I like. Netflix does provide some interesting alternatives to what is passed off as entertainment on tv today.

I love Barney! Nip it in the bud! LOL Thank you! As always, you've nailed it.

Beautiful wreath, Linda! I still have my 4th of July wreath up but I need to send Michael to the basement to find my summer one now.

Another old beach render...called Just Beachy. I've always been so incredibly imaginative with naming my renders. LOL

justbeachy.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Dani :) Beautiful renders :) They are all just beachy with me :) Love nautical themed renders.

Glad you liked Barney....and yep, I was thinking "nip it, nip it in the bud" the whole time I was doing Doc Barney....haha. I'm studying Andy's face now to see if it would be possible to do him. The only thing that was not quite right was Barney's hat....his hat reminds me of a WWII style hat that I've seen before in freebies somewhere...I've just forgotten where I saw it. It has a poufy, a little-oversized appearance, which was perfect for Barney's lean body and big head :) If I find it, I'll post the link. So far I just haven't pictured yet where I was when I saw it. There used to be a lot of WWII uniforms and accessories around...one almost has to have a photographic memory to be able to recall a "picture" of it, in order to find it. Until I can find it, I used the police hat from M4 Headwear, and changed the diffuse color of just the cap.

And MeTV was the station I was referring to that I watch a lot. It's only late at night that I switch over to news or other things. I've almost abandoned watching satellite....it's only on the weekends that I switch over to it sometimes....or I switch to ION on free TV. My family will probably never give up satellite altogether...but I discovered MeTV on broadcast free TV during a storm that knocked out the satellite temporarily. I've been a loyal fan ever since :)

Japanese freebies are fine, I usually allow my browser to translate. I like the old console TV but I'm not seeing a download link or button....does it require sign up in order to download? That I've never done before, signed up at a non-English site...I've just never had the experience before.

:shineon:

Terre

Renowned
Good morning.
The shells remind me of the crabs in the creek/small drainage ditch behind our apartment building in Japan. The adults had red shells and were probably at least an inch acrosss. Perhaps more. The hatchlings were black and so tiny that when I bothered them and one latched onto my tiny 5-6 year old finger I couldn't feel a thing. It just dangled there. After a bit I lowered my hand down and it let go and went back to the water. I also remember having to pick up adults a couple of times and take them downstairs to release by the creek when then made their way into our apartment .I very carefully made sure that I grabbed them from behind and handeled them by the rim of the shell as they would have hurt if they pinched me.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre :) Yep, give 'em half a chance, and they'll pinch. While I was fishing for them, had to keep them in a crab basket at the water's edge, so they'd remain alive until time to steam them. As the catch progressed, it would be a challenge to keep them from linking together to form a chain of escape, either by way of the net, or over the side of the basket, and it took gloves to handle them.

skylab

Esteemed
I've been messing with older versions of DAZ Studio this afternoon...I remembered that I had more than one version on one of my older workstations that I used for creating pose sets. The older versions of Studio could be copied from a computer in its folder onto a portable drive, and then copied over to another computer without installation, like Poser used to do. I think I've got DAZ Studio 3 functioning now on my main workstation alongside Studio 4.10. Apparently DS 4.6 wasn't a bad version either, so I'm going to see how much of the old setup that I can salvage, using one of my old offline drives as a guinea pig. In the screen capture below, I've got Studio 3 with the Carrara interface, which was nice, and had user friendly navigational controls. Iray and advanced features came at a price of loss of ease of use.

Linda, I thought you'd be interested in seeing this :)

skylab

Esteemed
I took time to begin backing up the Studio 3 Library on my older drive so that I could transfer it to my workstation. The downside is, Studio 3 only goes as far as Genesis 2, and it looks like version 4.6 goes as far as Genesis 3. Studio 4.9 seems to be the first appearance of Genesis 8. But Studio 3 has much more straightforward controls of Animate 2, so there are sufficient reasons to run the old along with the new. In case you haven't found the customize controls, here are screen captures to help...this shows how to opt for the "Highway" style in Studio 4.10, which is similar to the old DAZ Studio 3 appearance...and opting to darken to viewport background takes down some of the overwhelming brightness :)

skylab

Esteemed
"Japanese freebies are fine, I usually allow my browser to translate. I like the old console TV but I'm not seeing a download link or button....does it require sign up in order to download? That I've never done before, signed up at a non-English site...I've just never had the experience before. "

You just hit the "keep reading" and the link to download will be there.

I'm thinking some of your cute Dr. Pitterbill old tv characters, rendered in little scenes, would be a cool addition to the materials provided for the screen in the retro tv.

skylab

Esteemed
Good morning Dani :) Thanks for the tip about how to navigate the Japanese site....I got lost yesterday, and thought I'd better ask rather than hit the wrong thing :)

I really like your beach renders. Do you mind sharing how you get your beach in the foreground, and water in the distance. I'm really liking that a lot, and would like to learn :)

And yes, it's a shame that stuff has to disappear completely off of Rendo....since then nobody can get it at any price. It would be nice if they would have an "archive" or permanent "clearance" category, where stuff can be kept like that. Even stuff that is super old can be brought up to current standards with new mats, and it seems like a lot of effort by modelers that is just being cast aside. An example out of my own pitiful attempts at modeling...the difference in the appearance of the corked jar, before and after new mats:

skylab

Esteemed
Some mornings I tend to be clumsy with my hands when attempting to post....this is one of those mornings....haha....sorry it took so long for me to respond. It goes something like type four letters, delete two, type a whole sentence, delete a word....and on and on like that....haha. My fingers are not user friendly in the morning :)

:oopsie:

Terre

Renowned
Good morning. :)
Studio 3 can handle Genesis? That is a bit of backward compatibility that I wasn't expecting. It is good for some people though.