• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I've saved the riding pose, but I think it's time to try a side saddle position :)

View attachment 6376

So it looks like you decided to do the side saddle thing, but just an idea if you try to do something like that again (assuming this isn't what you tried). So in frame one, have the donkey below the ground level, basically out of the scene. In frame 20 or so you want to have the male figure posed so he is sitting with his feet straight out in front of him, but spread apart enough that they will go around the donkey. At this point you want to have moved the donkey up a little, but so that he should be touching the robe just yet. Next another 30 frames out I'd say, so like frame 50 you'll want the final pose, with him sitting on the donkey. If the donkey's a collision object, this should do a good job of moving the robe the way you want it. And I'd say probably have 60 frames total to let things settle in place.

skylab

Esteemed
Wow, thanks...I didn't realize that I could play around with the positioning that way. I'd actually thought it would be great if I could move the donkey out of the way long enough for the sim to run, but didn't realize it was possible to actually do it and not mess up the sim. That will help give me some creative ideas in the future...thanks so much!!

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Hey Miss B or Seliah, GG needs help with Blender UV mapping over in the robe for Dusk thread...if either of you knows anything about that, she could sure use some help :)

Wow, thanks...I didn't realize that I could play around with the positioning that way. I'd actually thought it would be great if I could move the donkey out of the way long enough for the sim to run, but didn't realize it was possible to actually do it and not mess up the sim. That will help give me some creative ideas in the future...thanks so much!!

Yeah that's a cool trick I learned from esha's Cloth Room Master Class, which I must have gotten on sale (or it was a Deep Freeze item that's been unfrozen with the merger). I mostly got it because it came with some beautiful dynamic clothes, but even though I thought I was good at the cloth room, I learned a lot from the actual tutorial, especially about how to fake things to make them look right.

And thanks for the help shout out. This is such an amazing community, I would have given up quickly on trying to make my own clothes if I didn't know there were people who didn't mind me asking questions when the googles fail me.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey, any time GG....they've been very patient with my questions, and if they don't know the answer, they can always find someone who does know. We do have a rare privilege of freedom to share what we've learned, or are learning, here...and in an environment like this, you can advance very quickly in knowledge. Doesn't look like Seliah or Miss B are online now, but they always come on in the late afternoon or evening. They are accustomed to my taking a nap along about this time :) I would say you'll certainly have some kind of answer by this evening...so hang in there...your project is looking good :) I'm already envisioning Dusk as the Good Shepherd, with his new robe...so the scene will be easy to build by just replacing M4 with the robed Dusk, and the pose set would be complete.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Hey, any time GG....they've been very patient with my questions, and if they don't know the answer, they can always find someone who does know. We do have a rare privilege of freedom to share what we've learned, or are learning, here...and in an environment like this, you can advance very quickly in knowledge. Doesn't look like Seliah or Miss B are online now, but they always come on in the late afternoon or evening. They are accustomed to my taking a nap along about this time :) I would say you'll certainly have some kind of answer by this evening...so hang in there...your project is looking good :) I'm already envisioning Dusk as the Good Shepherd, with his new robe...so the scene will be easy to build by just replacing M4 with the robed Dusk, and the pose set would be complete.

Well it helps to know someone wants the thing I'm making :). It's funny I started out with a robe because from my sewing experience I know how easy it is to sew. Didn't really think about the conforming aspects though. :whistling:

skylab

Esteemed
If this helps, there are Blender PDF books at these links...just click on the download link on each page...they may or may not have the info you're looking for. There's also one for DAZ Studio 4 and Gimp.

BLENDER 3D COOKBOOK

BLENDER CYCLES AND TEXTURES

BLENDER LIGHTING AND RENDERING

BEGINNING BLENDER

BLENDER 3D BASICS BEGINNER GUIDE

COMPLETE GUIDE TO DAZ STUDIO 4

GIMP COOKBOOK

Hope at least some of this information helps. I had to go off for a little bit in order to find the links. Here's the main link to the graphics section, in case anyone is interested in Photoshop books.

Going to get a little rest now for awhile...I'll be back on later this evening :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm afraid I can't help much with the UVMapping in Blender. I'm still just beginning to learn it myself and don't understand it well enough to be able to teach. Miss B might be the better bet there, GG. I think she's got a much better grasp of the software than I do. I'm still very much a beginner in Blender...

Sky, I hope you have a good nap.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Seliah...it seems the UV in Blender question, actually specifically, how to export the map to use in an imaging program, was answered in two parts...here and here.

I seem to be resisting an afternoon nap this week, so I may as well yTrans out of the bed and get busy on my project. Be back online in a bit...moving to the workstation :)

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Miss B....for some reason this week, I have trouble getting warm....I know that sounds silly with the weather warmer, but I think when my blood pressure finally gets under control, then I'm cold all the time. I was bundled up like winter time, I still had trouble being cold...it's not chills, it's just cold...haha. Don't worry, if I miss my nap, then I always turn in earlier and rest longer overnight.

I've also had phone calls and emails from a couple friends going through a rough time, and I think maybe that buries in my subconscious, and comes to the surface when I'm trying to rest. Sometimes I avoid the phone when I think it's not a good idea. Folks tend to want to pull me out to get involved with things the way I did when I was younger...but it's simply not an option now. I can tell myself that, but it hits the intended target, and creates a struggle within myself. However, the answer still has to be no. The only thing I can do at this point is my regular routine, and working on 3D projects which keeps things quiet and peaceful...except when Poser crashes all night....hahaha. Don't worry, I'll be fine....believe me, I feel my limitations and know when to cool it :)

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
Yeah, I know...and I appreciate it, just don't want to spoil folks' fun with it...don't want my health issues to pour cold water all over things. I'm just getting older, and things don't work as well as they used to. :unsure:

Terre

Renowned
At least here you won't get some young whippersnapper telling you to hurry up or some such rude nonsense.