• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Hi Carmen
This is Dawn with some dial spun morphs. The soap bubbles are Rons Suds brushes sold at Daz that I applied to the skin with a geoshell.Also the water has the same shell but on a simple plane and a Dformer.
Hope this helps.
P.S. Forgot to add this was setup and rendered in Daz.

Yeah realized again my mouth (fingers) spoke before my brain digested what was what. Of course it was Dawn in the Dawn renders thread. I won't try to fathom what the frell I was thinking except to say perhaps I was NOT! :(
Hmmm?? What is a geoshell?

Last edited:

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I'm not sure tan lines have such distinct edges. Maybe if you could smooth them out as if they were fading into the tanned areas. Nice idea though. ;)
It is a nice idea but I agree the tan lines are too sharp edged.....a problem I see in many textures with tan lines. I try to avoid buying them myself though some offer beautiful texturing overall.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I'm not sure tan lines have such distinct edges. Maybe if you could smooth them out as if they were fading into the tanned areas. Nice idea though. ;)

The first is never the best. I will blur the edges a bit, thanks for the suggestion. That should make it more natural. ^^

It is a nice idea but I agree the tan lines are too sharp edged.....a problem I see in many textures with tan lines. I try to avoid buying them myself though some offer beautiful texturing overall.

The textures don't have tan lines, I have added them with overlays. :)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Thanks Miss B and Ken! (It was Greek to me too)

She's wearing sandals I created too, but they would be too much a hassle to deal with for selling. Most of the sculptures I'm using as resources for the poses are barefoot ... which was apparently typical for most Greeks until athletes from other countries competed (and won) wearing sandals.

Well done Satira. :)
Beautiful scene, Satira. That's Greek to me! :D

Thanks Carmen. I used scaling heavily to create him since the Cretin Hound has a much more slender build than the Lab, and his head is narrower and longer. Consequently, the scaling resulted in a nasty ridge between the head and neck which I used the morphing tool to fix. Once we get the whippet, it should be easier to create a Cretin Hound type dog.

wow! Beautiful morph/tweaking of the HW Dog. Gonna include that in the updates for the dog breeds?

Carey

Extraordinary
Here is another one of my Dawn pieces. Using Blacksmith texture transformer I converted Horizon for v4 to work on Dawn. It was an entry over at Renderosity for the Blacksmith contest. I don't smoke but once complete, I felt that this old woman need a cigarette to complete her look. It is titled A Dirty Old HabitView attachment 29568
well done

quietrob

Extraordinary
Playing with a hair conversion using Dimension3D's Duf toolkit. Pascale Hair for Genesis3/Genesis8 on Dawn after conversion. I need to do some movement morphs, but the conversion, rig and texturing with the original texture files are done.

View attachment 34760
This is a Poser Render? That looks pretty good! You and I have had a brief discussion about hair products. While there are some nice products for Poser still coming out, I hate missing out on great products such as hair which is constantly improving. Right now I think hair is improving as much as the new figures. Also some of the figures for G3 and G8 are just outstanding.

Anywho, that is a wonderful portrait!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Right now I think hair is improving as much as the new figures. Also some of the figures for G3 and G8 are just outstanding.

Actually, G3 and G8 now use over-simplistic single map per joint, making their bending depend heavily on corrective morphs (JCMs), which make clothing rigging much harder than it has to be. They also have a significantly lower quality, low poly topology comparing to G2, which make them require HD morphs (heavy on scene, memory hog!) to be able to reach the similar morphing quality G2 already had with TriAx and regular morphs.

In other words, they have adopted inferior rigging (more suited for video games) overloaded with JCMs (to compensate), and lowered the topology quality (which requires hi-res morphs to compensate). I just fail to see how this is an improvement. It seems like a series of bad decisions comparing to what we already had with G2, which was a great TriAx figure with some of the highest Genesis topology quality we had so far. Seems like they are still trying to reach out to the gaming industry - to the detriment of their own community.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I suspect that what they are after is market share. G2 was gradually gaining traction (a lot of established -- and popular -- vendors wouldn't touch the original Genesis with a 10-foot pole), but G3 seems to have hit the ground running and a load of gen4 vendors finally came back after G3 was launched.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
It might be that the more figures they release in such a quick succession, the more frustrated vendors will be, and the less customers will buy. To vendors because figure quality seems to be going down the drain, and to the customers because it undervalues the contents they have already purchased. Even if we can convert morphs and outfits, having to do that eats up the fun out of it, and quality is lost in the process. Sounds like poor decision-making no matter how I look at it. But of course, throwing news figures might force people to buy new contents, even some they already had (for those who tolerate that) but it still feels disrespectful in many different ways.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
This is a Poser Render? That looks pretty good! You and I have had a brief discussion about hair products. While there are some nice products for Poser still coming out, I hate missing out on great products such as hair which is constantly improving. Right now I think hair is improving as much as the new figures. Also some of the figures for G3 and G8 are just outstanding.

Anywho, that is a wonderful portrait!

Thanks! Yes, it's Poser 11 Superfly.

I think you're right about hair improvements, though I think the vendors striving for better don't include all of them. AprilYSH, OOT and Neftis have really worked to up their game, with April's last few like this one and Karissa hair were both worth the effort to convert to Poser for me. Neftis' Grace Updo converted to Dawn is fast becoming one of my favorite hair to work with.

As for the figures, I just don't waste my time looking at them since I can't use them at all.

quietrob

Extraordinary

I understand what everyone is saying about the figures. And much thanks to @Ken1171 for his explanation of the rigging. I'm still miffed that Poser 11 can't natively handle the new DAZ figures. So let me ask this question. Is G3 or G8 a better figure than the most popular figure of all time, V4? Better rigged, higher poly count which I think equates to better morphs and especially better expressions. I won't include Dawn (though you certainly may) because of the home field advantage. I don't want to be a skunk when everyone is a cat with a white stripe.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I understand what everyone is saying about the figures. And much thanks to @Ken1171 for his explanation of the rigging. I'm still miffed that Poser 11 can't natively handle the new DAZ figures. So let me ask this question. Is G3 or G8 a better figure than the most popular figure of all time, V4? Better rigged, higher poly count which I think equates to better morphs and especially better expressions. I won't include Dawn (though you certainly may) because of the home field advantage. I don't want to be a skunk when everyone is a cat with a white stripe.

Well, I don't know much about G3 or G8, but I do know that the advertising for them includes the fact that they are low poly figures. They certainly do not have the polygons that V4 does.

But, that also puts the "low poly figures can't be morphed" fallacy to bed.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Huh. Do you suppose the low poly count of G3 and the supposed difficulty of morphing a low-poly figure might explain something about why we suddenly started getting a new DAZ "base" morph just about every two weeks for the last 2/3 of the development cycle for G3? And why they've kept it up with G8?

At least they finally dumped the 'every base gets its own UV' standard. That was thoroughly annoying.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
So let me ask this question. Is G3 or G8 a better figure than the most popular figure of all time, V4? Better rigged, higher poly count which I think equates to better morphs and especially better expressions. I won't include Dawn (though you certainly may) because of the home field advantage.

Before we can answer that, remember V4 was introduced to replace the JCM-riddled Mil3 figures. Now Genesis introduced vertex-precision TriAx rigging with 3 maps per joints (plus bulge and scaling maps), so posing have improved drastically with less need for pesky JCMs. However, G3 and G8 have discarded TriAx in favor of Dual Quaternions, which use only a single map per joint, which is sufficient for video game models, but sucks for the the kind of posing required in Poser/DS. This results in posing quality that is WORSE than V4, so they had to go back to how it used to be with Mil3 figures by bloating the use of JCMs.

In addition, V4 has MORE polys than G3/8, so even V4 morphs better than these two. Not only that, but they have ALSO simplified the topology, making morphs less effective than it was with G2. This is why G3/8 require levels of subdivision before they can be sculpted, which makes both these figures inferior to G2 in morphing quality.

So which is better?

Do you suppose the low poly count of G3 and the supposed difficulty of morphing a low-poly figure might explain something about why we suddenly started getting a new DAZ "base" morph just about every two weeks for the last 2/3 of the development cycle for G3? And why they've kept it up with G8?

It has been years they have been advertising their figures as "video game-ready", trying to appeal to the gaming industry. This is most likely why they have ditched quality TriAx rigging in favor of simplistic Dual Quats with low poly, simplified topology. They want those figures to be used in commercial video games, which to this date has never happened. They want to compete with the likes of Mixamo, which means they had to sacrifice rigging quality, topology and poly count. Those figures are no longer catering for the DS public. G2 was the last one that did.

That isn't so surprising, considering the Poser public has been also unceremoniously discarded not long ago. Gaming companies have much bigger budgets than mere hobbyists such as ourselves, so it's understandable that they are more appealing than us to the board of directors. This is perfectly FINE for as long as people cope with it, and even think G3/8 are better than what they had before. It's completely up to the people.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Plus, of course, if people keep buying...

But then it's obvious to anyone who checks the main markets that more people are *developing* content for G3 and G8. G1 got almost nothing outside of DAZ's own store. G2 did start gaining traction, but it was slow.