• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Our real life pets

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Elsa is our Lesser Citron Cockatoo. She's 20 yrs old now- this species of cockatoo lives 50-80 yrs.

elsa2.jpg

elsa8.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Elsa is our Lesser Citron Cockatoo. She's 20 yrs old now- this species of cockatoo lives 50-80 yrs.
I didn't realize birds could live that long. Elsa is a sweetie. I like that second photo of her looking out the window. :)

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I didn't realize birds could live that long. Elsa is a sweetie. I like that second photo of her looking out the window. :)

Before you rush out and get a cockatoo, buyer beware... Cockatoos are probably the most affectionate type of pet parrot and very social, BUT they are exceptionally needy and most have the temperament of a two and half year old human child. Cockatoos are also the loudest bird of the parrot family-- the tin ceiling in our kitchen vibrates with her screams. So, the bottom line... expect to spend a lot of one-on-one time with your cockatoo and to have a child that never grows out of the terrible twos for 50-80 years that is very, very vocal.

If your looking to have a more independent long-living pet bird, I'd suggest an African Grey.

Elsa loves cardboard boxes (video)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Sweet kitty Satira (I love her face, she looks all innocent up there :))

Hornet, that's how my Chilli sleeps too :D It means they are content and trust you completely and don't have a care in the world (especially in Greyhounds). :D
Before we got Chills, I was trying to get a Whippet but my hubby thought they looked like they'd break to easy so he veto'd that. Greyhounds are the only dogs that can run faster than Chilli, but only for a short time and he can out corner them :) (Vet said his heart rate is like that of a Marathon runner, he's very fit and tires all the dogs at the dog park, gets home rest for about 10mins then wants to go again).

Ken, I've never seen a Citron (I think because we have the Sulfur-Crested everywhere here in Aus). Galahs and Cockatoo's are LOUD :D How are the Citron different to the Sulfur?
Our neighbours growing up had several averies with different kinds of birds, one cage had 2 cockies and they were the funniest things. Especially Birdbrain, he would hold full conversations with himself. One that I remember most: "here Fluffy (the dog) whistle, woof woof (just like the dog) SIT down!"
I've had Budgies, an Eastern Rosella and Cockatiels but not for a long time. My boyfriend at the time taught the Rosella to talk a little but when he died the Rosella sounded so much like him I gave him to his mum as it was too hard for me but a comfort to her. And my best little mate (a pied Cockatiel) was so funny when I was trying to teach him to wolf-whistle, he would do it backwards, it took a while before he did it properly (but could pick up an annoying phone ring quick smart!) :D

Ken Gilliland

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
...Ken, I've never seen a Citron (I think because we have the Sulfur-Crested everywhere here in Aus). Galahs and Cockatoo's are LOUD :D How are the Citron different to the Sulfur? ...

There are basically 3 different species of yellow-crested Cockatoos... The most common and largest are the Sulfur-crested Cockatoos (17.5-19.5 inches (45-50 cm)) which are found throughout Australia.

The Yellow-crested (endemic to Timor-Leste and Indonesia) and Lesser Citron Cockatoo (endemic to the Lesser Sunda Islands and Sumba) are much smaller at 13-14 inches (33-35 cm). While both species are found with the pet trade, they are critically endangered in the wild due to widespread logging and land clearance for farming. The Yellow-crested looks similar to the Sulfur (apart from size) while the Citron's crest feathers are orange yellow and the eye area is tinted blue. The Citron is featured in my SBRM 2nd Edition, the Yellow as a freebie for that set and the Sulfur in SBRM Australia 3.

Birds are very smart... even pigeons know how to count. The smartest of the birds is probably the Kea (of the New Zealand Alps).

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Ahh cool. I know we have heaps of different Cockatoos but I've only seen the sulfur in the wild (they seem to be everywhere :D) our blacks are beautiful and I've seen them in wildlife parks but I haven't seen them in the wild. (I have the SBRM Aus 3, I used it with the three stamps I did for the stamp challenge, I need to do more and the Wedge-tail has been in 3 of my images now :)).
I don't believe in breeding for hybrids on purpose but one of the prettiest cockatoos I've seen was a cross between a Sulfur and a Major Mitchel. It was halfway between the two in size and was mainly white but the crest was a salmon orange colour and where the sulfur has the yellow cheek and undertail was a soft salmon colour too.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
My five month old kitten discovered today she can leap from the kitchen counters to the top of the kitchen cabinets. I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't been standing in the kitchen when she lept from the counter to the top of the cabinets! I couldn't figure out how she was getting there since I had coolers on top of the refrigerator, but now I'm at a loss as to how on earth I can keep her from the top of the cabinets. Guess it's time to invest in something that's a stronger deterrent for her jumping onto the counters in the first place. The plastic containers lining the edge of the counter no longer spooks her when she knocks them off, and the citrus spray on paper towels scent fades too quickly to discourage her from stalking the counter top.
They'll be no stopping her now Satira...so cute!

Our present pet is a Lurcher from a rescue center and is pictured in my avatar. He is normally quite quick to learn things but as you can see he has not quite got the idea of hide and seek
He's a cutie Hornet and that hide and seek photo is a crack up...

They do live a long time and can be very noisy. Growing up my next door neighbour had one...it used to say things like Cocky's a good boy....and the traditional Cocky wants a cracker...it was very affectionate with their dad but we needed to be careful with fingers and not poking them through the cage.

These days we see a lot more cockatoos in the suburbs...never saw it when I was growing up but we see them a lot around where I live now and also near work. I think it's mainly due to more people planting native plants in their gardens.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yesterday my daughter called me into the family room and showed me that Vesper had crawled into a bag that had been lying sideways on the couch...I picked up the bag and this is what I saw.
Vesper in a bag.jpg

A few days before she and Gemstone (my daughter's furball) I should mention I bought the pillow for Vesper but Gem has decided it's hers. This was the first time I saw them do this...
vesper and gem.jpg

and last, someone earlier mentioned snakes...this was taken at school. Background taken out so that kids from school aren't in it. If I look worried it's because I was...it kept trying to get closer to my face. This last one will probably disappear fairly quickly as I don't normally put photos of me online.
me with snake.jpg

Minyassa

Enthusiast
This is my Reiki. She just turned 5, which has really snuck up on us because she still acts like a kitten. I should've known what I was getting into, giving her a name that means energy. She really lives up to it. She's the talkiest cat I've ever met, she has regularly scheduled nut fits where she gallops around the house for many laps, and she's into everything. She's my special baby, I dreamed about her before I met her and she seemed to have been waiting for me too because when we met she yelled until I picked her up and then she cupped my face in her paws like she just thought I was the cutest thing ever.

basementcatsm.jpg

This picture was taken after she got into the basement, which we usually keep closed because it's storage and there's so much stuff down there that I don't want chewed on, or to have to hunt down a sleeping cat in the maze. She came up with a cobweb hat and she was so proud of it (she kept dodging my attempts to take it) that I let her keep it for a while. I can *never* get a picture of her without flash eyeglow, we just have a dark house. This is her default facial expression. O.O

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Awww Pen, they're sharing :) (and they're the same colour! except for the stripy bit :p that happened to us by accident with our two trouble makers).
Pretty pattern on the snake too.

Torties are special little girls and yours is no exception Minyassa (she looks like you surprised her with the flash :))

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yep...they are. They play chasy together as well...Gem is quite old my 22 year old has had her since about grade 3 which makes her about 14 years old. My sons dog is a grump though and barks at her if she tries to play.

Szark

Awesome
I would like to add my thoughts on captive birds...if you are thinking if it DON'T, please don't. Keep them wild and cage free, even if it is a big cage/aviary unless you are thinking of starting a breeding program for endangered species.

Hornet3d

Wise
Sweet kitty Satira (I love her face, she looks all innocent up there :))

Hornet, that's how my Chilli sleeps too :D It means they are content and trust you completely and don't have a care in the world (especially in Greyhounds). :D
Before we got Chills, I was trying to get a Whippet but my hubby thought they looked like they'd break to easy so he veto'd that. Greyhounds are the only dogs that can run faster than Chilli, but only for a short time and he can out corner them :) (Vet said his heart rate is like that of a Marathon runner, he's very fit and tires all the dogs at the dog park, gets home rest for about 10mins then wants to go again).

It took him a while to trust us but then he was a working dog and I think they kept him starved in the belief it made him a better hunter. He was barely twenty kilos when found and you could clearly see everyone of his ribs and backbone. These days he hits the scales at twenty five which the vet says is about right. I can understand the fear of broken bones particularity when you see how fast and agile they are when they run. Lurchers, and I assume Greyhounds, also have a very thin skin so he often picks up the odd scratch when running in the woods and I suspect it is not helped by the fact he is smooth haired. For all that, like I guess almost all dog a cat owners, we would not change him.

What makes me laugh the most is that he is a real tease when running with other dogs. His favorites seem to be other Lurchers and Spaniels but he will run just enough to stay ahead of any dog chasing him, speeding up markedly if they start to catch up. On the odd occasion he finds another dog that is faster he gives up in a hurry.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That last bit sounds alot like Chilli, his favorite game is chase (with the other dogs chasing him). He's never really been interested in balls but learnt quick that if he steals the other dogs then they will chase him :D

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
awww @Pendraia your a lovely lady, aside from fear of snakes getting close, leave your photo here? and @Minyassa she's lovely... kitties normally settle down around 6-7 years...but who knows, right? She must be a wonderfully entertaining companion! (and my Travis was my 'soul mate kitty'....I had special connections before we met IN this life, so I hear you!)

Travis's story (and relationship to me) is here on my Memorial page for any who care to read it:
travmemor2

oh and @Pendraia what kitty does not like a box or bag! Love the photos!

Last edited: