• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Our real life pets

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
My Dad's Cichlid was scared of Dragons. You could hold any statue up and he was fine (hold his fishfood up and he did a happy dance) but hold any kind of dragon up and Shorty would almost jump out of the tank to get a way! (lucky dad had a lid on it!)

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
My dog Bobo is an escape artist! He's learned how to open windows. Fortunately he always stays in the yard when I'm gone. He's always outside of the gate and fence waiting for me when I come home. Then I go inside and he's unlocked the window and opened it up. He also digs holes under the fence which my son fixed a couple weeks ago. My way of dealing with this is to take him everywhere I go.

His latest thing is pushing his kibbles out of his bowl then spreading them around the floor with his nose. Then he comes back the next day and eats them off of the floor. I'm trying to figure out a way to get a video of this as it's quite amusing.

Hornet3d

Wise
My dog Bobo is an escape artist! He's learned how to open windows. Fortunately he always stays in the yard when I'm gone. He's always outside of the gate and fence waiting for me when I come home. Then I go inside and he's unlocked the window and opened it up. He also digs holes under the fence which my son fixed a couple weeks ago. My way of dealing with this is to take him everywhere I go.

His latest thing is pushing his kibbles out of his bowl then spreading them around the floor with his nose. Then he comes back the next day and eats them off of the floor. I'm trying to figure out a way to get a video of this as it's quite amusing.

Our lurcher has the habit of picking up kibbles from his bowl and then dropping them on the living room floor before going back for more. If he feels he is not getting enough attention he pick up his pillow and drops that in the middle of the living room as well. Then looks up almost in pure devilment knowing he has just done something that is frowned upon.

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
Somebody has been making baby fish and putting them into my aquarium. I am not sure who is doing this but I suspect the guppies are up to it.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
This is Marley, he isn't my dog but I walk and mind him for Dylan when he is at work. Marley is a Staffy almost 5 years old and loves people, but he dislikes other male dogs.

BonnieMarley.jpg

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Don't we all;). We have a lurcher that has the same likes and turns on his back to get the treatment but in his case his long legs makes it quite a sight.
You might want to explain the term "lurcher." Personally, I've only read it once in an old story set in Ireland. This is my first time "hearing" it in action.:)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
A "Lurcher" is generally a cross between a Sighthound (think Greyhound type dogs) and a Terrier or Working Dog breed (think Border Collies etc)

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
You might want to explain the term "lurcher." Personally, I've only read it once in an old story set in Ireland. This is my first time "hearing" it in action.:)

There are lots of Lurchers in Ireland. They look like smaller versions of greyhounds. Marley doesn't like any of them :(

Hornet3d

Wise

As Rae 134 says the Lurcher is a cross breed. According the the Hunting Life ,

The working lurcher is an amazing animal, it can possess when crossed with the right breeds speed, endurance, nose, intelligence and gameness.

The main sighthound breeds used to produce hunting lurchers are the greyhound, saluki, whippet and deerhound, these are put across base breeds to add additional qualities to the sighthounds speed and hunting instinct.

The most common of these base breeds being the working border/bearded collie, bedlington terrier, bull terrier and wheaten terrier, basically any breed of dog crossed with a sighthound is a lurcher.

Longdogs are composites of the sighthound breeds, the most popular being the saluki, deerhound, whippet and greyhound hybrids.

Lurchers can be multipurpose hunting dogs, from lamping using spotlight at night, to coursing hares by day, or dispatching vermin such as fox/coyote for pest control.
They really are the ultimate hunting dogs with their quarry rangeing from rats, rabbits, hare, fox, deer and more...

Away from hunting they usually make great pets but they do take a few years to mature so many arrive in rescue centres as a dog with size and speed but maybe not coordination is not a good combination in the early years. Lurchers that don't make the grade hunting also appear at the rescue centers, so many of the same reasons as Greyhounds find their way into rescues. Generally they are great with kids being good natured, and fairly healthy due to the cross breeding although their skin is generally quite thin so they do suffer from the odd cut here and there. What is less well known is the are great couch potatoes, yes they can run but exercise wise they can manage on a couple of half hour walks each day as long as they are given chance to run every few days. Recall needs to be good though as they have a high chase instinct. Other than that the are happy to curl up and sleep for the best part of the day.

They will sleep almost anywhere.

Now its mine HW.jpg

But are rubbish at Hide and Seek

Hiding HW.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise

I forgot to say I am impressed you knew the term, even out walking most people see our dog and to them he is a greyhound very few know of Lurcher's.

Hornet3d

Wise
There are lots of Lurchers in Ireland. They look like smaller versions of greyhounds. Marley doesn't like any of them :(

The link between Ireland and the Lurcher is a strong one and i would suspect most Lurcher could claim some Irish in their blood. The supposed history of the Lurcher might shed some light on the Irish connection.

From Wikipedia

It is fabled that in the 14th, 15th and early 16th century the English and Scottish governments banned commoners from owning sight-hounds, such as Irish wolfhounds, Scottish deerhounds, and greyhounds, though no documentation from the time can be found to verify this. It is thought that lurchers may have been bred to avoid legal complications during this time. Generally, the aim of the cross is to produce a sighthound with more intelligence, a canny animal suitable for poaching rabbits, hares, and game birds. Over time, poachers and hunters discovered breeding of certain breeds with sight-hounds produced a dog better suited to this purpose, given the lurcher's combination of speed and intelligence.