• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Official Announcement: HiveWire 3D to publish Animals through DAZ 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daio

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
I organize my content in a way that makes sense to me so I end up moving files manually even if the product comes in a DIM format. :)

Riccardo

Adventurous
It's like the USA's politics and policies being misrepresented. Folks don't research or try things out for themselves, it's all word of mouth and most of that is often off by quite a bit...... that applies to most things these days, not just politics or CG figures! lol

So true, and not only in the USA. Same in Italy, unfortunately.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Me too Daio.

Then because I have several runtimes, I always ended up spending far more time locating and moving folders and files to the proper runtime because I'd forgotten to change several settings. I prefer to pull folders and files out of the zip and drop them where I want them instead of extracting the zip ... and then hunting everything down to move into my structure. I also put materials, props, poses, whatnot all together in the Character/Figures folder. It saves me so much time when I'm swapping out materials or whatever. It makes working with products like the HiveWire animals or Ken's birds, moths, lizards, & frogs easier and quicker too. Everything is in one place ... no jumping from tab to tab required.

Since I got into computers back in the DOS days, I've never found Windows structure or the Poser runtime structure intimidating. DIM didn't have enough options to make it easy for me to install products the way I wanted ... or to download files where I wanted. Since I keep a spreadsheet of all folders with the order number and purchase date, I prefer to save the zips in a folder with the order number, under a folder for that year ... under a store named folder.

Hornet3d

Wise

Hornet3d said- For quite a while I wondered how anywhere could be too nice but then I saw post, elsewhere I will make clear, where people openly admitted they love a flame war, saw it as entertainment and if it looked like cooling were not adverse to adding more coal to the fire. I don't understand the fun, it quickly became useless as they just went round in circles. It did however answer the question as to why some would think a place could be 'too nice'.

YIKES!
That give me the willy nillies. And I'm sure that some people find it fun, just like some people find smashing mailboxes fun or sending out email viruses, right?

The comment really surprised me and I found the personal nature extremely distasteful. After a while I learnt to spot the threads that were going to be locked early on and the individuals that saw it all as fun and just stayed well away from the threads.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Granted, the world has become SO huge and complex that it's rather time consuming to research everything ourselves. Just keeping up to what's going on in Washington DC daily takes me hours! Also, so much information now is in video, rather than print ... which, in my opinion, is not as reliable.

I prefer to be able to read information than have someone read it to me. It's too easy to mishear something, and then they are off on something else. With print (or virtual print), I can take my time in digesting what I read, reread it if it didn't make sense, or even move on and come back to it after my mind has had a chance to work through it.

We also tend to restrict ourselves to like minded sources of information that only presents information with a single slant more now than we may have done in the past. Liberals tend to read information from a liberal source while conservatives tend to read information from a conservative source. Granted, when I was growing up, our metro paper leaned more to the left, while the state paper leaned to the right. Same stories, but a different slant. It's rather shocking when you read the same info from both liberal and conservative sources just how different that information can be. Things that are important to one source are downplayed in the other. It's not reporting the news anymore, but trying to influence the news. That's not what information sources should do! They should present the information without a slant. Avoid trigger words, and make sure opinion pieces are clearly labeled as opinion pieces.

Information sources need to present information without a slant. Both what they like and what they don't like. And of course ... it also helps to have writers and editors who have some kind of an inkling on grammar and spelling.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
The comment really surprised me and I found the personal nature extremely distasteful. After a while I learnt to spot the threads that were going to be locked early on and the individuals that saw it all as fun and just stayed well away from the threads.

Yes, sometimes it's very easy to spot those threads...

Hornet3d

Wise
So true, and not only in the USA. Same in Italy, unfortunately.

Sadly I don't think you can single out any country as such, it seems to be a worldwide trend. The other worry is that no matter how bizarre your beliefs are you can find support for it on the Internet somewhere. You then cease to hear any opposing points of view and your own views become entrenched. It is a shame really as I think you can only learn and develop by being exposed to different ideas.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've encountered comments where the poster admitted they love flame wars and would do whatever it took to keep them going.

You have to wonder about people like that. Are they like that outside the forums? Do they treat friends and family like that? Do they walk up to strangers on the street and tell them they are fat or ugly?

Hornet3d

Wise
Me too Daio.

Then because I have several runtimes, I always ended up spending far more time locating and moving folders and files to the proper runtime because I'd forgotten to change several settings. I prefer to pull folders and files out of the zip and drop them where I want them instead of extracting the zip ... and then hunting everything down to move into my structure. I also put materials, props, poses, whatnot all together in the Character/Figures folder. It saves me so much time when I'm swapping out materials or whatever. It makes working with products like the HiveWire animals or Ken's birds, moths, lizards, & frogs easier and quicker too. Everything is in one place ... no jumping from tab to tab required.

Since I got into computers back in the DOS days, I've never found Windows structure or the Poser runtime structure intimidating. DIM didn't have enough options to make it easy for me to install products the way I wanted ... or to download files where I wanted. Since I keep a spreadsheet of all folders with the order number and purchase date, I prefer to save the zips in a folder with the order number, under a folder for that year ... under a store named folder.

Much the same procedure for me, I extract the zip to a temp folder and manually move the folders/files to a structure that makes sense to me. It also makes backups easier to find if something gets corrupted for any reason.

Hornet3d

Wise
I've encountered comments where the poster admitted they love flame wars and would do whatever it took to keep them going.

You have to wonder about people like that. Are they like that outside the forums? Do they treat friends and family like that? Do they walk up to strangers on the street and tell them they are fat or ugly?

I think some of the extreme ones actually might but I think most are too cowardly to do so and make full use of the ability to stay anonymous thanks to the Internet. I think others are the type I would regard and 'bullet firers' they like working others up and then stand back and relish the upset they have caused, knowing that someone else will get the blame.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Definitely, some do, but as Hornet says, the anonymity of the internet makes it oretty easy to be nasty and downright cruel to others without having to look them in the face and see what reaction you're causing. It's one of the things I dislike about the net. Additionally, you can't see facial expressions or hear the tone of someone's voice, so it's easy to misinterpret what others are saying. You can say the same things and it comes out VERY differently depending on HOW you're saying it. Emoticons are fine and good, but they're not the same as seeing someone's face as they talk or hearing their voice.

Hornet3d

Wise
Definitely, some do, but as Hornet says, the anonymity of the internet makes it oretty easy to be nasty and downright cruel to others without having to look them in the face and see what reaction you're causing. It's one of the things I dislike about the net. Additionally, you can't see facial expressions or hear the tone of someone's voice, so it's easy to misinterpret what others are saying. You can say the same things and it comes out VERY differently depending on HOW you're saying it. Emoticons are fine and good, but they're not the same as seeing someone's face as they talk or hearing their voice.

It can so much depend on the words chosen too. I spent a while in Sweden, many moons ago now, and I remember a neighbour addressing me and starting with the words " In future.......", in the UK it is more often than not the case there is a complaint to follow. "In future would you park your car away from my house", or "In future would you stop you dog barking when you take him for a walk". When the neighbour said the same words I literally felt the hairs stand up on the back of my neck, I was preparing to argue. It soon became clear that, while their English was excellent, they had no idea of the possible reaction to this term. I can't remember the exact request now but it was a very reasonable request. I was left quite stunned at my negative reaction to just two simple words.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Yes, it's like saying "but" in the middle of a sentence. "You're a great person, but...." . What follows practically removes all that went before the "but"

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Absolutely, internet anonymity has made it so much easier for people to "unleash" their dark side.

But I'm also amazed at how rude people can be on the street too. I slipped on ice two winters ago and landed on my left knee. It still isn't fully healed, and may never at this point. Consequently, I need to stop frequently while walking to ease that knee. It's also caused back problems. So, if it's not my knee I need to stop and baby, it's my back. A few months ago, as I stood against the building resting my knee, a man walked by and told me to "work my legs." From the way he looked at me and said that, I took it as a derogatory statement, as well as him being judgmental over my weight. As if I don't know I'm overweight. Or as if I haven't spent a lifetime dealing with the stigma of being overweight.

I'm not sure what makes some people think they have the right to treat others as less than human. But, I rather suspect those are also the people who leave comments on any article about airlines/flying bitching about the "fat person" on the plane encroaching onto their seat ... as if the airlines haven't continued to make the width of seats narrower and narrower as their customers grow wider and wider.

Bet y'all can't guess what one of my buttons are :p

Alisa ... that "but" could also be "if only." You'd be SUCH a pretty girl if only you'd lose some weight. No. I've never ever wanted to say in response ... you'd be such a smart person if only you'd lop off your head.

The Scorpio has viciously ripped a number of people to shreds over the years. Fortunately, we can't yet be sent to prison for something that's only happened in our imagination. I'd be serving SO many life terms.

By the way ... party at my apartment this evening! I'm cooking barley soup. With carrots, celery, green onions, garlic, tomato (ok ... so that's really a pasta sauce, not fresh tomatoes). It's all simmering rather nicely in the slow cooker. Though ... I really have absolutely no idea whether it will be a hit or a miss. I kinda just threw everything in the crockpot without measuring anything but the barley.

mininessie

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
i was not going to reply here because ..well...i´m only a housewife with a hobby and don´t understand so much about bussiness...i would like the animal stayed here...but i understand your choice...i only wish it become the best for you all...good luck in this adventure!
i will try to support when i can.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Heh. I download everything manually and then save it all up until I have several dozen download and then sort them into my backup disk and spend half a morning or afternoon installing it all into the various runtimes. Never used DIM. Refuse to use Connect.

Was *inordinately* grateful when DAZ stopped packaging all their stuff in those frapping Bitrock installers. I took to unpacking them into a blank folder and installing the files manually. I'll run an installer when I'm installing a program, or a plug in. But content? *Why?*

Good way to keep the customer ignorant about their own software, that.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Thanks, mininessie :)

Satira, yeah, that's another, the "if only". I'm there with you about being amazed that some people feel it's just fine to comment on one's weight. I have relatives who've done it to me. Rude.

JOdel. I was also THRILLED when DAZ stopped the exe files, and for me, it's easy enough to just grab their DIM files, dip below the "Content" folder they have and drag and drop to where I want things in my Runtime/Library. I also feel it's a bit of the "dumbing down" just like the Windows trend to make you not know if you're on the internet or your computer . I want control (yes, I am a self-admitted control freak about many things) of where my products and my content go.

At the same time, I do understand that some find it confusing or just like the ease of having a program that installs things for them.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I'd have been at sea for months longer when I started out if I hadn't been downloading freebies. None of which come in installers, and *had* to be installed manually. File by file, since at the time the Mac OS had no folder merge function. At least that had me figuring out what a .cr2 as opposed to a .pz2 or a .pp2 *was*.

Mind you, it was years before I realized that if I was using the stuff in Studio I could put all of the "library" files in the *same folder* with the props and spare textures in subfolders and have everything in *one place* instead of having to go hunting among the Pose files for texture add-ons, as well as the Materials files for the same thing, and the needing to check in the Props files for the jewelry.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
We've also been able to do that in Poser for some versions now. It's SUCH a time-saver!

I'm so glad when companies take notice of what users want and make it so.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Poser content still all comes packed in the different library folders though. Easy enough to sort it before putting it into the runtime library though.

Status
Not open for further replies.