• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Official Announcement: HiveWire 3D to publish Animals through DAZ 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hornet3d

Wise
The above said, I'd like to throw out a bunch of thoughts I had. Please note that I wrote this before the last several posts, and it is NOT in response to any one person, rather to the temperatures that seem to be rising, with the hope of cooling things down:

Hopefully we can keep this thread sort of generally on target and away from the Poser vs DS, Smith Micro vs DAZ, Poser supporters vs DAZ Studio supporters discussions. Remember, we support BOTH programs from BOTH companies. If you disagree with what someone says, feel free to politely disagree and express your opinion, and if you feel that a post is inappropriate or violates our TOS, use the Report button and we'll look at it.

People have posted here about the layoffs at SM and speculated about their "issues" and future as well....and most of them are Poser users. Likewise people have speculated about what's happening at DAZ. And at HiveWire.

It's human nature to speculate, but please be careful not to take it beyond that, into "this is what's happening and I know it is but can't tell you why or how I know". Sometimes it's best to just keep that information to yourself and particularly not share it on a public forum.

Remember that there are PEOPLE behind avatars, products, vendors, and companies. Also remember that it's likely there are things behind decisions made by people and companies that they can't or don't want to share at the time, for many reasons.

CAs here and at DAZ and everywhere else have the right to create for whatever programs/render engines they choose. Likewise, customers have the right to not buy from certain stores or vendors, or to only buy things that support the program(s) they choose. All have the right to change their minds. The store or vendor changing THEIR mind and going back to supporting something a customer wishes they hadn't stopped supporting does not mean that customer is obliged to buy the products. Might that result in "I told you so!?" from the store or vendor? Sure. And maybe they are right. And maybe not.

I will tell you that moderating forums is not an easy thing. We try to err on the side of letting people express their thoughts and opinions, but expect it to remain polite..which generally is the case. We also don't have a bias here in moderating due to preferring one program over another..because we support both.

I hope this doesn't come across as overly preachy, but I just don't want our community, which HiveWire treasures, to end up with fractures over all of this STUFF.

It doesn't seem to be over preachy to me more a few pointers in the right direction to try and keep a discussion alive.

On the wider view, I have to say that I am sometimes at a loss the understand what is going on here. There seems to be very little effort put into moderation here and my days from teaching tell me that when a teaching session goes smoothly and looks effortless it was normally because an incredible amount of work had gone on long before the door to the class room was open by the first student. I am not sure if that is the case here but I do love the result of the moderation here. I have seen all to well what can happen if there is no moderation and yet there seems to be less moderation here than I perceived when it all got very bitter elsewhere. Is this because you do support both main versions on the software, I really don't know.
Whatever it it is I applaud the team in being able to run a forum where a thread like this can run for so long before any hint of moderation is needed.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh, that is SO understandable Alisa.

I deleted several paragraphs from the previous post. Tsuki said she thought it would be best. She should know. She's been getting an earful.

Of course, right now she has her head shoved under the spare monitor and is trying to get the rest of her body in a space barely big enough for her head. I'll need to pull her out in a minute ... and of course, she will scream bloody murder at me.

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
gift-sets.jpg

I think everybody needs some chocolate ; )

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
God Desertsiver! I really really wish that was real and in front of me and I got to eat it all by myself (I do share, but with choc I'd rather not :p)
Thanks, Satira!

Just so you all know, Myth isn't leaving, we had a good conversation and he's just gonna pull out of this thread for his sanity ;).
That makes me happy! I'd miss both his renders and his witty convos.

I deleted several paragraphs from the previous post. Tsuki said she thought it would be best. She should know. She's been getting an earful.

Of course, right now she has her head shoved under the spare monitor and is trying to get the rest of her body in a space barely big enough for her head. I'll need to pull her out in a minute ... and of course, she will scream bloody murder at me.
Satira, my kitty was not catting very well today. She's taken to sleeping on top of my computer (which is under my desk) I think because of the cold (and its warm) and I heard a noise, looked down and had a very flat confused kitty! She looked in shock for a moment, then looked at me, cried, and gingerly walked of complaining to me for pushing her off while she slept.

CatWithCollar.jpg

I've made a collar for the Big Cat. Now if your cat goes off on an extended adventure everyone will know where she's from.
The Gold Badge on the pendent has magical properties. It's better than the chip because the cat can tell where her home is.
Guess where you can find it. :rolleyes:

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
You guys have it all wrong. Since part of this whole thing was to gain more exposure for Hivewire, I was wondering if perhaps some of the DAZ vendors might be moved to make add-ons for the animals, but sell them over here.

Certainly possible. I know that Sickleyield, among others, has released products at Rendo, when DAZ turned them down. It would be much nicer for them to sell them here than at Rendo.

The question is whether a vendor who isn't already a part of the community here would decide that it would be better to sell them here than at Rendo. (Rendo at least doesn't demand exclusivity.)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hornet, as one of the original three moderators here, I've always found it incredibly easy to moderate. Like ... seriously. I've not once ever had to pull out a big stick ... much less a flimsy little twig.

I was a mod (or rather, a sysop, which is what we were known as back then) a good ... um ... 30 or 40 years ago? where I was CONSTANTLY pulling posts and warning members they needed to stop or they would be banned. I'm not sure if any of us liked when we had duty in that particular forum which was in the "kiddy" area of the site. To this day, I still have issues with Brad Pitt, because the worst offender used that as his name. Shoot ... for all I know, maybe he was the real Brad Pitt :wink:

I'm almost at a loss too to understand how HiveWire works sooo well with so little moderation. I believe it's a combination of the light touch in moderation; the influence of Chris, Lisa, and Alisa; and the members who are absolutely fabulous.

Quite possibly it might even be that HiveWire seems to have a reputation of not allowing the nastiness found elsewhere to happen here, and should anyone who thrives on being nasty and negative toward HiveWire step foot within our doors, they will be immediately banned for their lifetime. I'm not sure where that comes from, because I've never seen any indication that anyone isn't welcome here. It's only that behavior that isn't welcome here.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Just saw that the racehorse tack is for Poser, Daz, Harry and the Daz horse!!! Kudos to you.

I often read PA s saying it's too difficult or time consuming, or they don't know how to make mats for both programs. How were you able to do it? Would some kind of conversion script be possible? Or are there just too many differences.

I also see that many of the newer PA s at Daz have never even owned Poser- so they have no way to make Poser mats anyway-which makes me sad for my Poser only friends.

It doesn't seem to be over preachy to me more a few pointers in the right direction to try and keep a discussion alive.

On the wider view, I have to say that I am sometimes at a loss the understand what is going on here. There seems to be very little effort put into moderation here and my days from teaching tell me that when a teaching session goes smoothly and looks effortless it was normally because an incredible amount of work had gone on long before the door to the class room was open by the first student. I am not sure if that is the case here but I do love the result of the moderation here. I have seen all to well what can happen if there is no moderation and yet there seems to be less moderation here than I perceived when it all got very bitter elsewhere. Is this because you do support both main versions on the software, I really don't know.
Whatever it it is I applaud the team in being able to run a forum where a thread like this can run for so long before any hint of moderation is needed.

Thanks :) I attribute that to the way Chris & Lisa set this place up and the people it attracts. Most of the time, most people think about what they're saying and how it might come across, and follow the Golden Rule. :)

LOL!

View attachment 27526
I think everybody needs some chocolate ; )
:squee:
God Desertsiver! I really really wish that was real and in front of me and I got to eat it all by myself (I do share, but with choc I'd rather not :p)

HEY! Do I have to quote from "Everything I Ever Needed to Know I learned in Kindergarten" about sharing??
:p
I've made a collar for the Big Cat. Now if your cat goes off on an extended adventure everyone will know where she's from. The Gold Badge on the pendent has magical properties. It's better than the chip because the cat can tell where her home is. Guess where you can find it. :rolleyes:

I guessed and I'm right :) Thank you for the magic!!
Studio Martillo's Free Stuff

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Love the collar!

Oh Rae! Poor baby. I think it's so funny how determined Tsuki is to get behind the monitors. It's not like they are putting out a vast amount of heat or anything. But for about three weeks now, she's been absolutely determined to get behind them. Even with them shoved against the wall as I need the space in front of my primary monitor for my work laptop.

Sigh. Chocolate. A coworker keeps us supplied in the little pieces of chocolate, but he prefers the type with nuts in them. After weeks of only eating soft, mushy foods, I learned that I should have incorporated crunchy food at lot slower into my diet than I did. The inside of my mouth is sooo sore from what I've eaten the last few days. Needless to say, almonds in chocolate is not something doable at this time.

So ... if I ever get around to fixing dinner tonight, it's going to need to be ubersoft.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
lol, Rae!

Quite possibly it might even be that HiveWire seems to have a reputation of not allowing the nastiness found elsewhere to happen here, and should anyone who thrives on being nasty and negative toward HiveWire step foot within our doors, they will be immediately banned for their lifetime. I'm not sure where that comes from, because I've never seen any indication that anyone isn't welcome here. It's only that behavior that isn't welcome here.

Well, I know we do have the reputation at other places of being "nice" which is said by some people with distain. I think it's awesome, and those who don't clearly realize that unless they tone things down and behave, they are NOT welcome to post here. I don't think we've had to ban anyone other than obvious trolls.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hornet, as one of the original three moderators here, I've always found it incredibly easy to moderate. Like ... seriously. I've not once ever had to pull out a big stick ... much less a flimsy little twig.
Well, I'm not one of the original three, but I have to agree. The only time I've had questions about a post, was when I wasn't sure what the correct answer to the poster's question should be. This is a good group we have here, and the fact that it's been this way for a long time, without trolls showing up on a daily basis, is a testament to our team, but especially to Chris, Lisa and Alisa. ;)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I did just that! Which is why I have owies on both sides of my mouth instead of just one side.

I also discovered I still need to be very cautious brushing the tooth that now has a crown. The gums below the crown both inside and outside are rather tender.

I need more ice cream :p

Status
Not open for further replies.