• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Official Announcement: HiveWire 3D to publish Animals through DAZ 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hornet3d

Wise
Sorry but I don't consider that a credible source it's little more than hearsay.
Daz vendors I have spoken too don't seem to be aware of this so called problem.

I respect your opinion and I was careful to say that I had no real knowledge of the accuracy of the information and where I have no first hand knowledge of a statement I tend to judge the possibility of it being correct on the past history I have of the source. Just because someone has been right in the past does not make it accurate or factual so that could well be a flaw in my belief. Point is though, if I am honest the only reason I commented at this point in the thread was because the person the question was aimed at was someone who is very new to the forum and I was sort on being protective.

ben

Inspired
Hi tparo. The problem with all the heresy is that Daz artists aren't allowed to talk about it as they sign an NDA.
A few people here, some of whom have previously worked for daz, have said that Daz cull artists, which they do if they don't submit new content over a Daz specified amount of time, much like renderosity put items into clearance and then remove them from the store, it's no big deal, the artists can submit new items and rejoin daz if they choose too. You can find much of this information on the Daz Wiki and their Help section by looking up how to become a Published Artist.
As for the low sales comment, the summer months are often quiet for sales, this has been mentioned on the daz forum by artists and daz employees in the past.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
I respect your opinion and I was careful to say that I had no real knowledge of the accuracy of the information and where I have no first hand knowledge of a statement I tend to judge the possibility of it being correct on the past history I have of the source. Just because someone has been right in the past does not make it accurate or factual so that could well be a flaw in my belief. Point is though, if I am honest the only reason I commented at this point in the thread was because the person the question was aimed at was someone who is very new to the forum and I was sort on being protective.

I understand - and it's the reason why I questioned where they got the info from, just because someone posts something on a forum doesn't mean it's fact and I would hate to see anyone get into trouble elsewhere by repeating something they read in one place as fact.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Hi tparo. The problem with all the heresy is that Daz artists aren't allowed to talk about it as they sign an NDA.
A few people here, some of whom have previously worked for daz, have said that Daz cull artists, which they do if they don't submit new content over a Daz specified amount of time, much like renderosity put items into clearance and then remove them from the store, it's no big deal, the artists can submit new items and rejoin daz if they choose too. You can find much of this information on the Daz Wiki and their Help section by looking up how to become a Published Artist.
As for the low sales comment, the summer months are often quiet for sales, this has been mentioned on the daz forum by artists and daz employees in the past.

Yes I am aware. But someone here has been saying that they have been told by daz artists, ones that are still selling at Daz, that Daz is in financial difficulties, and unfortunately some people seem to think its a hard cold fact. If Daz artist aren't suppose to talk about things like that it makes you wonder why they are - if they are- as it could get them into serious trouble.

sean_martin

Motivated
Has anyone else noticed that products originally released Studio-only are now re-appearing in Poser format? Stonemason's revised a couple of his to reflect that.

But as for "throwing insults around", my own particular beef with that company has nothing to do with the vendors — well, except for one, who shall remain nameless, who was pretty snotty about a request — so much as it has to do with the management. But they set themselves out on this course, so ultimately it's their responsibility. And if all of a sudden they're looking for content to sell to us mere Poser users, then one has to ask — I thought Studio had been downloaded something like two million times. You'd think that would have build a splendid customer base, right? Right? Anyone? Bueller?

But as for the animals... well sorry, but I'm still a bit confused. The prices are still pretty much the same, so I'm told, so HW isnt really making any more off this than they were before (since I'm presuming that Daz's cut would be about the same as HW's). They're not being promoted as Hivewire products, at least not up front, so I guess I dont see how this drives traffic here.

But then I never promised to be the most clever at figuring this out. :) Hope it works.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
May I ask where you got your info about Daz being on hard times.

It's no secret that DAZ just when through a series of layoffs... trimming staff is usually an indication of some issues

I can tell you as someone who has been a brokered artist pretty much from day one of the 3D art's birth that the high-water mark in 3D's popularity was around 2010 and since then it has been steadily declining (even at DAZ).

The problem with the declining customer base is two-fold. The novelty of 3D and hopes of getting a second-chance career as a 3D artist have faded and, to speak, bluntly, the hobbyist base that DAZ, HiveWire and others depend on is getting older. Apart from aging and health issues, finances and priorities change. There's been numerous pushes to bring "new blood" into our 3D world, but none have really been that successful.

I, like many joined the 3D world in hopes of a second-chance at making career at doing art. While I couldn't get the break I had hoped for in the CG industry, I did manage to carve out a career as a freelancer. I'm one of the lucky few who managed to through my fine art, 3D work and my wife working a full-time job to make a relatively comfortable living.

As I've said many times, I love being an artist-- it's just the starving part I don't like.

Without trying to sound too self-serving, that's why it's important now for everyone, when you can, to support small stores like HiveWire, the CAs, the PAs, the HW3D product line to keep our 3D world alive.

Last edited:

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
It's no secret that DAZ just when through a series of layoffs... trimming staff is usually an indication of some issues

As did SM but mention there's a problem there and you will get slammed by the Hard core Poser fans - it's the double standards I dislike, beside its a bit unprofessional in my opinion to tote around a lot of opinions concerning a rival company on the forum especially when the information is offered by someone known to loath Daz.

Hornet3d

Wise

I can tell you as someone who has been a brokered artist pretty much from day one of the 3D art's birth that the high-water mark in 3D's popularity was around 2010 and since then it has been steadily declining (even at DAZ).

The problem with the declining customer base is two-fold. The novelty of 3D and hopes of getting a second-chance career as a 3D artist have faded and, to speak, bluntly, the hobbyist base that DAZ, HiveWire and others depend on is getting older. Apart from aging and health issues, finances and priorities change. There's been numerous pushes to bring "new blood" into our 3D world, but none have really been that successful.

I, like many joined the 3D world in hopes of a second-chance at making career at doing art. While I couldn't get the break I had hoped for in the CG industry, I did manage to carve out a career as a freelancer. I'm one of the lucky few who managed to through my fine art, 3D work and my wife working a full-time job to make a relatively comfortable living.

As I've said many times, I love being an artist-- it's just the starving part I don't like.

Thanks for your thoughts, it is good to hear from someone who has the background and experience that you have.

3D art is not alone in age having an impact, one of my other hobbies is model steam railways but the vast majority of people following this hobby are well in their sixties. Part of this is down to the cost of the engines which tend to have rises above inflation as new safety rules are applied to the production of boilers and certification of such. I may complain about some Poser content prices but the cost of the radio controls for some of these engines would make the average man in the street eye's water, let alone the engine itself. There are some young recruits and you know about them because they are such a rarity their interest in the hobby is shouted from the roof tops.

Moving back to 3D art, the very fact there are so many quality figures available must spread the sales across a wider group than before.

Hornet3d

Wise
As did SM but mention there's a problem there and you will get slammed by the Hard core Poser fans - it's the double standards I dislike, beside its a bit unprofessional in my opinion to tote around a lot of opinions concerning a rival company on the forum especially when the information is offered by someone known to loath Daz.

I am surprised at that as most Poser fans, here at least, quickly recognised there were issues and they themselves were speculating on the future of Poser and it's possible sale. Then again I only follow two forums, sorry make that one so, and you have clearly have seen a a different reaction and, even as a Hard core Poser fan I condemn such double double standards on each side of the argument and would much prefer there to be no argument at all.

ben

Inspired
He he, I must have seen a different forum, the Poser users on both the Renderosity and Smith Micros own forum were quite brutal about Posers demise.
I think it's good to shake out the cobwebs every once and a while, it's the only time I get to see some of the old timers get wheeled out so they can wave their canes and gnash their dentures, reminds me of the mischief that abounded on the poser forums of old :)

Daio

Adventurous
Contributing Artist

I agree with that but I think part of the problem may also be just that the market is saturated. If you have a prop that works for you - say a willow tree - why would you buy another one unless the new one is truly spectacular. Who needs 15 willow tree models? And with the figures - why if you've accumulated a whole bunch of add-ons for one figure and it fits your needs most of the time would you buy a new figure and have to shell out the money to get all the add-ons again? Again unless the new figure is truly an significant improvement. To me, Harry is a significant improvement over the MilHorse but the genesis figures are notenough of an improvement over V4 for me to shell out the money for them.

Hornet3d

Wise
I agree with that but I think part of the problem may also be just that the market is saturated. If you have a prop that works for you - say a willow tree - why would you buy another one unless the new one is truly spectacular. Who needs 15 willow tree models? And with the figures - why if you've accumulated a whole bunch of add-ons for one figure and it fits your needs most of the time would you buy a new figure and have to shell out the money to get all the add-ons again? Again unless the new figure is truly an significant improvement. To me, Harry is a significant improvement over the MilHorse but the genesis figures are notenough of an improvement over V4 for me to shell out the money for them.

You make a good point and it may be that some vendors should not be asking what software they support but more what can I produce that is different.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
FYI - I posted this at DAZ in response to a question about whether they'd get DIM files if they bought the moved products here previously.

If you purchased one of the products moved to DAZ from HiveWire, the files will be updated in your downloads here, but in our original format. We'll make sure you have the latest and greatest version, but they won't be usable in DIM.

If you want DIM files, you can always write to support at DAZ and ask them if there is any way, should you provide them with a copy of your HiveWire receipt, that they could put the product in your account here. I have NO clue if this is something they'd be willing to do. They did that with RDNA products, but that was a different situation, where they bought the company, whereas HiveWire is a vendor here, under the HW3D name. I know I've bought products elsewhere that have then been moved to DAZ, but I've never asked them to do add the products to my account, so again, I don't know what they'd say. I do know that any contacts I've had over the years with DAZ Support have been good, whether or not they've been able to do what I've asked. (YMMV-I'd appreciate if people don't chime in with tales of awful support you have had from them, if you have)

Like DAZ, HiveWire has a 30 day money back guarantee, as most if not all of you already know.

Thanks!

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Regarding the Poser vs DazStudio thing...

I would love to see more working together from Daz and Smith Micro. A little healthy competition is great for driving things forward as each company strives to "one up" the other with their latest innovations. Imagine the cool tools we could all have if each company was striving to be the software leader in the industry, but without crushing the other.

New innovations bring new things to sell to go with them. If the market is dominated by one software, what will keep them pushing forward? Sure, they would continue to develop their software, but imagine how much faster and with how much more focus they would develop if they were constantly racing to outdo each other.

Thats the kind of excitement we need in this community. Getting together to collaborate on what we have in common vs what we do differently.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
FYI - I posted this at DAZ in response to a question about whether they'd get DIM files if they bought the moved products here previously.

If you purchased one of the products moved to DAZ from HiveWire, the files will be updated in your downloads here, but in our original format. We'll make sure you have the latest and greatest version, but they won't be usable in DIM.

If you want DIM files, you can always write to support at DAZ and ask them if there is any way, should you provide them with a copy of your HiveWire receipt, that they could put the product in your account here. I have NO clue if this is something they'd be willing to do. They did that with RDNA products, but that was a different situation, where they bought the company, whereas HiveWire is a vendor here, under the HW3D name. I know I've bought products elsewhere that have then been moved to DAZ, but I've never asked them to do add the products to my account, so again, I don't know what they'd say. I do know that any contacts I've had over the years with DAZ Support have been good, whether or not they've been able to do what I've asked. (YMMV-I'd appreciate if people don't chime in with tales of awful support you have had from them, if you have)

Like DAZ, HiveWire has a 30 day money back guarantee, as most if not all of you already know.

Thanks!
I've tried it before with FaceGen but they wouldn't do it even though I had a receipt (of the original and upgrade), they said NO I had to purchase it from them.
(I also had an account from many years ago where I purchased some product thinking I could get into 3D but I had an early verion of poser and I couldn't get my head around it so after a month I dropped it altogether. I forgot I had it, so created a new one, bought new products, then remembered my old account but they wouldn't even join those 2 together even though I could prove I was the owner of both emails. So I really don't like anybody's chance of getting it added.)

DAZ has a program to create DIM files so it really shouldn't be a deal breaker (except its a little pricey for my tastes) called "content package assist". (hopefully ok to link here? if not just remove it :D) Content Package Assist | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Fine to link, Rae :)

Still worth it to ask them, if you are wanting DIM files. Worst they can say is no :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I saw your response, and that person started another thread, where Rae mentioned that piece of software to make content DIM ready, which I had never heard of before.

This particular person stated he (I think it's a he) bought it again at DAZ, so I'm assuming he'll be following others' suggestions to get in touch with HW about a refund. Don't know when the purchase was made, but hopefully within the alotted 30 days.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Or him might just have to return it to Daz if the time period is over :p

I had heard of it, wanted it, wishlisted it but it's never been on sale (or at least when I've had the money) and its a bit out of my price range. And now that I know a bit more about finding content outside of smart content (even though I love sm) I don't think I'll ever get it unless its on a good sale.

Hornet3d

Wise
Regarding the Poser vs DazStudio thing...

I would love to see more working together from Daz and Smith Micro. A little healthy competition is great for driving things forward as each company strives to "one up" the other with their latest innovations. Imagine the cool tools we could all have if each company was striving to be the software leader in the industry, but without crushing the other.

New innovations bring new things to sell to go with them. If the market is dominated by one software, what will keep them pushing forward? Sure, they would continue to develop their software, but imagine how much faster and with how much more focus they would develop if they were constantly racing to outdo each other.

Thats the kind of excitement we need in this community. Getting together to collaborate on what we have in common vs what we do differently.

Wouldn't that be great for all involved.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I had heard of it, wanted it, wishlisted it but it's never been on sale (or at least when I've had the money) and its a bit out of my price range. And now that I know a bit more about finding content outside of smart content (even though I love sm) I don't think I'll ever get it unless its on a good sale.
I've never seen that software before, so it must've come out in the past couple/three years. I probably would never have bought it for the simple reason I never used Smart Content in my DS 4.0 Pro. I guess I was too used to using the Content Tab after all the years I used DS 2 and DS 3 Advanced. I never saw the benefit of Smart Content, but I guess for those who started in DS with the 4.x versions, like it because it seems easier for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.