• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Official Announcement: DAZ terminates agreement to publish HiveWire 3D animals!

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
So here I am, another month so another chance to buy some Poser content so off I trot to Daz and fill my shopping cart, enter my credit card details and order. Opps something went wrong, some how I have manged to spend it here at Hivewire instead. Must remember not to do this again next month, or even later this month, or next week only problem is, at my age you forget things so easily :),

OMG.. Love it! :roflmao:

Oh, and you really wanna make sure your emails from DAZ 'don't' go to your spam folder.

edited to say emails, not ebots.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I tried with DAZ last year (intending just the odd item) and they totally ignored my email. I was gonna try again this year, but to be honest, after this latest episode I doubt I will bother. I left one job because I felt too much under control (typical crap rules from the government) and I don't want to jump into that scenario again. I like being me myself and I, the boss :)

You will do well with Rendo, they got a good team.
This sort of brings up something.... DAZ is like a cult, you either keep in line and do and say what they like or your out. I don't do cults. I do shop at the cultDAZ store but more and more I'm cutting back. I'm actually thinking of just doing away with their news letters and perhaps going there once a week so see if anything catches my eye.

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
This sort of brings up something.... DAZ is like a cult, you either keep in line and do and say what they like or your out. I don't do cults. I do shop at the cultDAZ store but more and more I'm cutting back. I'm actually thinking of just doing away with their news letters and perhaps going there once a week so see if anything catches my eye.

Probably not just a case of keep in line, but make them enough money to be able to stay in with the "elite". (sarcasm alert)

I shop there probably once or twice a year, or if there is a new figure out I will get enough to do promos. I don't even look unless something like a new Daz version or figure has been launched.

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist

And welcome, Wolfie!
Thanks Alisa!

~W

\o/ waves pandies to say hello.
Sorry Alisa, when I read your welcome note , I thought you had a new pet name for Rich :oops:

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
LOL, Dawn...

That is completely understandable. Richard aka RAMWolff has a bunch of nicknames ;)

I usually call him Wolffie

She's (I suspect) the "Touchable" Wolfie ;)

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
LOL, Dawn...

That is completely understandable. Richard aka RAMWolff has a bunch of nicknames ;)

I usually call him Wolffie

She's (I suspect) the "Touchable" Wolfie ;)

Yeah, we will have to distinguish by the extra f. I didn't even notice the extra f until you pointed it out.

Also waves at Jen, must have missed a page somewhere. \o/

Oh, and any new posters that ain't familiar with my avatar, I'm Lully by another name. But to be awkward I'm my real name on here, as they named her after me, so Im gloating. :)

See, it must be true as it's in my signature
|
V ........... Pants! that's a rubbish arrow :(

L'Adair

Enthusiast
Everyone's support is...beyond awesome! Thank you :)

Welcome to HiveWire, Geir, L'Adair, and Jen!

Thank you, Alisa. And thanks, too, to the guys who "liked" my first post! Wow.

I've been lurking in a few threads for months, but this situation made me want to be part of the conversation. And just to be clear, I was quite restrained with putting my thoughts into words, here and on the "Official Announcement" thread over there. This deserves a proper rant, but it would be a waste of time. Nothing will make a change over there.

Though I have gone through the gallery and liked every recent image with a Hivewire animal in it! lol How funny would it be to have HW animals dominate the leader board!

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Okay so if daywalker03, John Hoagland and others are even partly right, then it seems to me that DAZ management don't have any conviction in their decision making. I mean they would already know all that stuff and should stick to their guns when they make an agreement.
In Business Studies in school they tell us the whole point of running a business is to make a decision based on cold hard research and then stick to the decision. Dithering about and changing their minds five minutes after signing an agreement is an awful way to run a business.

eclark1894

Visionary

That reminds me of when Chris and Dan first started up DAZ years ago. They would give away a freebie each week. I think the first thing I downloaded from DAZ back then was a garbage can. 20 years later, and I rarely shop at DAZ. I already own most of the old stuff that they sell, and they've stopped those weekly freebies. Even if they did release one, Poser doesn't read .DUF files.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
In simple language, Bonnie, DAZ got their feelings hurt over something Chris said and backed out of the deal. Supposedly.

Much more likely is that the response to the Hivewire animals at DAZ was threatening to them and they backed out of the deal.

Well I expect business people to be thick skinned and not throw a wobbly when someone says something they don't fully agree with. Shame on them for putting people to so much work and then shafting them. I never bought anything from DAZ because I don't have a lot of money yet and have to make my stuff in ZBrush to save the money. Don't think I will buy at DAZ ever now I know what they are like.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Others have already said what I feel about this. There is a saying in the UK that you should not cut off your own nose to spite your face. Not only have Daz done that, it appears that they've shot themselves in the foot for good measure. To excuse themselves by stating differences past and present goes beyond any good business sense and descends into childish spite and wilfulness, and at the end of the day, exposes the agenda behind the PR babble. If the honesty and integrity shown by the Hivewire team in sharing information are a matter of concern to Daz there can only be one loser and it is definitely not Hivewire! There is no doubt about the quality of Hivewire's animal products. They are, quite simply, the best available on the market...anywhere. Whilst I am delighted that they will now be available to me from the Hive, I have to raise some concern that Daz is seemingly happy to deprive their own loyal customers of something they've been repeatedly urged by those same customers to update! Of course, those customers are more than welcome to make their purchases here and will be warmly welcomed! Respect to all.

Sunfire

One Busy Little Bee
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That reminds me of when Chris and Dan first started up DAZ years ago. They would give away a freebie each week. I think the first thing I downloaded from DAZ back then was a garbage can. 20 years later, and I rarely shop at DAZ. I already own most of the old stuff that they sell, and they've stopped those weekly freebies. Even if they did release one, Poser doesn't read .DUF files.

Oh they still have the "freebies" however you have to either be a PC+ member to get it, or buy something to get it free. So as the quotes imply it's not really a freebie, and sometimes those freebies are Poser compatible, not so much lately but I have gotten a few.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I reread Chris's announcement where he expressed some concern: "Will there be some concerns for us for having made this decision? Most certainly yes! But... we strongly feel that the benefit of moving our original animals over to DAZ, will outweigh any negatives by doing so.

The root of the issue here seems to turn around the fact that DAZ doesn't acknowledge any wrong-doing on their part. Everything they do is self-justifiable and requires no explanation. That would explain the great topology quality on Genesis 2, which was promptly replaced with low-poly, simplified game models with Genesis 3 and 8 with 1 single weight map per joint. Those can only pose properly thanks to loads of JCM corrective morphs (that make clothing rigging a nightmare). Can you imagine if they actually had to explain themselves to anyone? What about removing functionality from DS, so that only their own PAs can have access to them? Ever heard of the "DAZ PA Content Creation Kit"? How do non-DAZ vendors feel about that? Thanks goodness DAZ don't have to explain themselves to anyone.

I won't be surprised to see a big push sponsored by DAZ to get a new Dog and Cat out now. Probably already in the works. Who knows, maybe even a Horse.

The fact that they have showed the HW animals everywhere at DAZ, and then pulled the plug on it so soon might make the products even MORE wanted now that people know they exist.

I mean look at the Bill Gates/SteveJobs relationship. In a documentary I watched they worked together at several points, each pushing the other forward trying to get the "one up". That's healthy competition. It creates markets and products to sell. No competition creates a stagnancy or a vacuum of "sameness". The customer loses, the artists lose ... but then, what do I know?

I have been advocating this idea for years, but people just told me there was no such division in the market. It was only when Genesis was introduced, and defined a clear line where Poser was no longer being supported, that some people just decided to wake up to reality. DAZ had no issues with abandoning the entire Poser market, expecting people to simply abandon everything and simply "merge in". Well, that didn't happen, even though the DAZ forums have already decided that "Poser is dead". I guess it is dead to THEM, and that seems to justify whatever they do. After all, they don't have to explain themselves to anyone.

Humankind is curious and tend to want to know why things happen... So this at the end can be an advantage...

Indeed, the fact that DAZ gave the HW animals so much exposure and them pulled them out so quickly might make people want them even MORE! LOL

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I haven't received a DAZ email in like ... ages. I'm not sure I've ever been so thoroughly removed from any other mailing list ... ever! I didn't even have to create a spam filter for DAZ emails. Which I would have if I'd continued to get any marketing emails after opting out.

Good to know that some things work right at DAZ!

Even if it's such a tiny little thing as honoring opt out requests. (Which actually is not at all a tiny little thing)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I haven't received a DAZ email in like ... ages. I'm not sure I've ever been so thoroughly removed from any other mailing list ... ever! I didn't even have to create a spam filter for DAZ emails. Which I would have if I'd continued to get any marketing emails after opting out.

Hmm, now that I think of it, I was signed up with DAZ email announcements, but it has been ages I haven't received anything from them. Curious....