• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Official Announcement: DAZ terminates agreement to publish HiveWire 3D animals!

James R.

Busy Bee
I'm gobsmacked. Actually that doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. Chris, Lisa, everyone...I'm sorry this happened. I can only imagine how blindsided you must feel.

But of course part of me isn't surprised.

I can't remember who mentioned "the straw that broke the camel's back" in a previous post in this thread, but I have to agree with that sentiment regarding how I feel about DAZ. I had really hoped that this was the start of some kind of new era.

But... silly me. Geez louise.

This move by DAZ is stunning in its utter schoolyard pettiness.

It says to me that there is a lot of immaturity and fear over there.

It says to me that someone over there would prefer to live in the past and pick at old wounds rather than move forward with something mutually beneficial.

If DAZ were totally confident in how things were going for them, they wouldn't have to resort to the extreme control they exert on what is said about them in forums -- and they wouldn't fear competition. The need to control others is bred from fear of others.

The deal could have been a good thing...but I think it would only have been a matter of time before they pulled some garbage like this.

All in all, as disappointing as this is, I think Hivewire dodged a very large bullet.

Onward and upward to better things, Hivewire!

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I'm gobsmacked. Actually that doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. Chris, Lisa, everyone...I'm sorry this happened. I can only imagine how blindsided you must feel.

But of course part of me isn't surprised.

I can't remember who mentioned "the straw that broke the camel's back" in a previous post in this thread, but I have to agree with that sentiment regarding how I feel about DAZ. I had really hoped that this was the start of some kind of new era.

But... silly me. Geez louise.

This move by DAZ is stunning in its utter schoolyard pettiness.

It says to me that there is a lot of immaturity and fear over there.

It says to me that someone over there would prefer to live in the past and pick at old wounds rather than move forward with something mutually beneficial.

If DAZ were totally confident in how things were going for them, they wouldn't have to resort to the extreme control they exert on what is said about them in forums -- and they wouldn't fear competition. The need to control others is bred from fear of others.

The deal could have been a good thing...but I think it would only have been a matter of time before they pulled some garbage like this.

All in all, as disappointing as this is, I think Hivewire dodged a very large bullet.

Agree 1000%!

Well stated.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
That's a familiar saying I haven't heard here in the U.S. in many years. My mom used to say it whenever she thought I'd made a poor decision on something or other.

There's a lot of common sense in those old sayings Miss B. I think it's an argument that is reinforced by Daz' perhaps ill-advised attempt at some form of a damage limitation exercise by closing the thread over there. This is pure supposition on my part of course, but I can't help wondering how far up the hierarchy this decision went because I can't believe that any company aiming to succeed in business, as any respectable company should do, no matter how hostile or parochial the view at board level, would be happy about such a blatantly (and potentially damaging) decision such as this. After the fallout, I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone over there found themselves gaining a new acquaintance with the job market! One can only hope that it produces a sea change in direction towards corporation and co-existence rather than a death of a thousand (self inflicted) cuts!

Duane Moody

New-Bee
Oh they still have the "freebies" however you have to either be a PC+ member to get it, or buy something to get it free. So as the quotes imply it's not really a freebie, and sometimes those freebies are Poser compatible, not so much lately but I have gotten a few.

It's not the same thing. Every Friday the old forum would publish a link to a new original content scene-filler (usually props but occasionally other accessory content) and the link usually remained active indefinitely. Nothing really swanky but nice to have. While anyone could read the posts, I believe the links required site login credentials to download.

When the company got sold, this changed from original new items to actual store items cycling in and out (excepting the perennial Bus Stop), and the older freebies' download server was retired. Later, around the same time Genesis 3 came out, the freebie cycle quietly dropped to biweekly and iirc this was when the day of the week changed to Tuesday.

Much as it pains me to say so, scene fillers < store items when it comes to useful loss leaders and the stores that continued developing freebies are/were small single developer shops like Poserworld (which discontinued offering them in June) or adamthwaites' MOST-Digital-Creations. Most of the other, even less well-known vendors haven't updated their freebies in months or years.

Not badmouthing anyone here for doing what they did. I don't run their businesses and I don't see their ledgers.

eclark1894

Visionary
I'm not surprised at all. If you read any of my responses in the first thread, I was ... wary, but trying to be positive and supportive.. Look, perhaps DAZ did its feelings hurt, but doing something like this is why people were saying such hurtful stuff in the first place. All they've done is remove any doubt from the minds of people who had reservations.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
It's not the same thing. Every Friday the old forum would publish a link to a new original content scene-filler (usually props but occasionally other accessory content) and the link usually remained active indefinitely. Nothing really swanky but nice to have. While anyone could read the posts, I believe the links required site login credentials to download.

When the company got sold, this changed from original new items to actual store items cycling in and out (excepting the perennial Bus Stop), and the older freebies' download server was retired. Later, around the same time Genesis 3 came out, the freebie cycle quietly dropped to biweekly and iirc this was when the day of the week changed to Tuesday.

Much as it pains me to say so, scene fillers < store items when it comes to useful loss leaders and the stores that continued developing freebies are/were small single developer shops like Poserworld (which discontinued offering them in June) or adamthwaites' MOST-Digital-Creations. Most of the other, even less well-known vendors haven't updated their freebies in months or years.

Not badmouthing anyone here for doing what they did. I don't run their businesses and I don't see their ledgers.

Welcome to Hivewire, Duane!

I have to say that my own personal experience is that freebies as "loss leaders" aren't actually any such thing. Freebies tend to be "grab and run" products without even a stop to see what else a vendor might have made available, or even a 'thanks' on the way out the door.

The only thing freebies seem to generate is the throughput bill from the hosting service for providing them.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
The mod sited "site-bashing" as the reason... (Well, he said, "site-bahing" but I'm pretty sure the lack of an "s" was a typo...)
Well, one of the other forum moderators fixed the typo. I'm always surprised when someone posting to a forum doesn't read their post to make sure there isn't any typos. I miss them every now and then, but rarely. I guess I'm just anal about such things. Working for lawyers for 40 years drummed it into my head, and I suppose it just became automatic. ;)

I'm not surprised at all. If you read any of my responses in the first thread, I was ... wary, but trying to be positive and supportive.. Look, perhaps DAZ did its feelings hurt, but doing something like this is why people were saying such hurtful stuff in the first place. All they've done is remove any doubt from the minds of people who had reservations.

Too true, and what really got to me is the attitude that if Chris and the rest here really had wanted this to succeed, they would have locked the announcement thread and not allowed any discussion of the subject. My response was to say that a truly professional person would have ignored any negative reaction and allowed the project to continue.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Well I don't see how locking the original announcement thread would've done any good, as anyone could've started a new thread, and we would still have had 31 pages of posts that could've been easily viewed by anyone from DAZ.

Hornet3d

Wise
Well, one of the other forum moderators fixed the typo. I'm always surprised when someone posting to a forum doesn't read their post to make sure there isn't any typos. I miss them every now and then, but rarely. I guess I'm just anal about such things. Working for lawyers for 40 years drummed it into my head, and I suppose it just became automatic. ;)

I try my best but I still miss typos, I think I subconsciously read what should be there rather than what is there.

Hornet3d

Wise
Too true, and what really got to me is the attitude that if Chris and the rest here really had wanted this to succeed, they would have locked the announcement thread and not allowed any discussion of the subject. My response was to say that a truly professional person would have ignored any negative reaction and allowed the project to continue.

One major difference, Daz seemed to regard it as criticism or bashing while most the team here saw it as feedback.

James R.

Busy Bee

No argument from me, Earl. If you read my full post I said I wasn't really surprised and that this would likely have happened anyway at some point down the road.

Knowing that a snake is a snake and that snakes bite doesn't make the snakebite any less surprising or painful, however.

...But of course part of me isn't surprised.

...This move by DAZ is stunning in its utter schoolyard pettiness.

...It says to me that there is a lot of immaturity and fear over there.