• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Official Announcement: DAZ terminates agreement to publish HiveWire 3D animals!

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I will break my silence to say this. This type of spiteful behavior tends to have a karmic consequence. DAZ should really consider changing the way they interact with others in this community. People tend not to like it when you show disrespect to people that this community respects and consider like family.

I want Nightsong back!!!!!!!!! Please, Mary, come to Hivewire.

Tempesta3d

Crazy Cat Lady
Contributing Artist
We would be happy to have the animals at Renderosity. No Exclusive Agreement required. :) You know my email. :)
That would be AWESOME!
Now, Chris, Alisa and Lisa, my three dear dear dear lil angels...
I just saw the "news" now and I can say that I am sorry, because I know you well and I know how sweet and talented you are and how much you cared about that deal.

I don't know the reasons and, like I stated already when the "partnership" was announced, it was, it is and always will be none of my business what you decide. I am just in shock and stunned on how many talented people were and maybe will be pushed away form a reason or another from Ds.
I find their attitude cruel and uncompreensible and maybe even self destructive?

I will always support your characters, animals or humans, wherever we both are in the net, no matter what.

The Hive is a wonderful bunch of amazing people both skilled and wonderful to interact with. I just hug you all three and it would be wonderful to see you at Rendo or wherever you want, you are loved by sooo many you have no idea!

Lory

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I don't get the whole "erase any evidence of HiveWire" thing - or any competitor, really. Daz is absolutely huge, isn't it? What do they have to fear? Without competition and something to compare to in the same industry how do you set yourself apart? I mean look at the Bill Gates/SteveJobs relationship. In a documentary I watched they worked together at several points, each pushing the other forward trying to get the "one up". That's healthy competition. It creates markets and products to sell. No competition creates a stagnancy or a vacuum of "sameness". The customer loses, the artists lose ... but then, what do I know?

DAZ is vary of any competition, and in its later years, has demanded loyalty... but loyalty is a two-way street (as they found out with me). I'm sure that their personal feelings about former DAZ employees forming HW and entering "their" marketplace played into this decision. To be fair, they have reason to be wary, the HW3D models are superior to theirs. For a good example, look at how the automotive industry laughed at Tesla trying to make and sell electric cars. For years, they ignored and discounted them saying they'll never make it. The Model S today is the top selling luxury sedan in the world beating out BMW, Mercedez-Benz and the rest. Their massive market Model 3 just got unveiled and has over 500,000 pre-orders-- without any traditional advertising. YouTubers have made their own commercials for the cars. Sell a better product and eventually you will beat out the competition. (Disclaimer: I'm a Tesla owner, so less than objective).

Isn't Ken going to speak at Siggraph today? I hope he takes a heap of HiveWire business cards with him!

Sorry about the DAZ thing. They are unbelievable.

Yes, I'm at Siggraph today (in Los Angeles). My scheduled time in the SM booth is from 3-5pm today.

...and while I don't have Hivewire cards, I will have lots of Songbird ReMix ones (which lead to HW) :)

Last edited:

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I'm tired. Really tired.

Once upon a time, I was a DAZfangirl. Over the last couple of years, that began to die. In the last 12 months, it kinda disappeared altogether. And in the last 8 months (particularly the recent 4-6 months), well, what's the complete opposite of a fangirl? Dunno, whatever it's called, it's me.

But because I use the Genesis line, and it's fully supported there, that's where I do most of my purchases. (Although they have seriously decreased over the last year).

This announcement is like the proverbial straw..it's the one that kinda has me going "welp, that's it then". I don't get it, I really don't. It's beyond ridiculous. (I hasten to add here, i'm referring to them, not hivewire here) I don't understand it, I thought the animals going there would be a good thing, a good "partnership". But to back out of an agreement after only 10 days, with such spurious reasons....gobsmacked.

I think I need to spend more time here. :D
Welcome dear Jaki. I used to spend inordinate amounts of time on the DAZ forums and bought ALLOT of what they were selling but now I just stopped trying to keep up with all the sales and every time you look out the window and then back to the store there is a new "figure" based on the Genesis of that moment. Got expensive and the politics got really old so now I buy mostly tools, HDR sets and other bits that I think will be useful for my needs. While Dusk and Dawn are done differently they are great figures to work with. They are also part of the push to bring the DS and Poser communities back together since DAZ is hell bent on making sure that's doesn't happen and that's just another reason I am so disappointed in their current direction internally. They are like a monopoly and it's divisive and I don't like that.

Hornet3d

Wise
We would be happy to have the animals at Renderosity. No Exclusive Agreement required. :) You know my email. :)

Hello and welcome Jennifer. I would welcome that but I like the suggestion that they not be exclusive because that would put the animals out of reach for me. Then again, I am happy to live with that if it has to be exclusive and it is for the good of the Hivewire team.

Hornet3d

Wise
Thank you for all of the support, folks. It means a lot to us that you are all as passionate as we are. :grouphug:

Please remember that as much as you may disagree with someone, from their perspective, they are doing exactly the right thing. It may be because they know no other way or haven't yet seen alternative ways to "agree to disagree" and still move forward, or any number of reasons. The point is they feel justified in their decision. Still, it's important to remember that there are humans on the other side of this, too, who are no less deserving of kindness and compassion no matter how angry or frustrated we may become with their actions. When we can all be big enough to truly strive to see and understand from an opposing point of view there is no limit to what might be accomplished together, even if we "agree to disagree".

That is a very well placed intervention if I may say so. It is easy to see Daz as the evil entity and forget honest hard working individuals make the livelihood from Daz. I have worked for, and walked away from, more than one company because I did not like their policy or ethics but then I was lucky enough to be in a position to do so. I would imagine that there are people there that did not agree with this decision of if they did, the manner in which it was done. I feel as sorry for them as the team here over all of this.

Hornet3d

Wise
I'm tired. Really tired.

Once upon a time, I was a DAZfangirl. Over the last couple of years, that began to die. In the last 12 months, it kinda disappeared altogether. And in the last 8 months (particularly the recent 4-6 months), well, what's the complete opposite of a fangirl? Dunno, whatever it's called, it's me.

But because I use the Genesis line, and it's fully supported there, that's where I do most of my purchases. (Although they have seriously decreased over the last year).

This announcement is like the proverbial straw..it's the one that kinda has me going "welp, that's it then". I don't get it, I really don't. It's beyond ridiculous. (I hasten to add here, i'm referring to them, not hivewire here) I don't understand it, I thought the animals going there would be a good thing, a good "partnership". But to back out of an agreement after only 10 days, with such spurious reasons....gobsmacked.

I think I need to spend more time here. :D

See nothing is all bad, you spending more time here sounds a real plus to me.

eclark1894

Visionary

But, they are not a monopoly and we're all going to make certain they never are. That may be their fondest dream, but we're all here to make sure it doesn't happen.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I'm sorry to hear the news, but this is exactly what happened to me.

DAZ said they wanted to sell all my products, we signed an agreement, and then they cancelled the agreement because of "negative comments" that they claimed I made. They didn't say what comments I made, where they saw the comments, or what made them so upset that they cancelled the agreement.
But most of all, they never offered to talk to me about these "comments" and resolve any issues like adults so we could both continue to make money. If we assume that DAZ keeps 50% of the product sale, then if I was making thousands of dollars in sales then DAZ is also making thousands of dollars in sales. Yet they're willing to cut off that income and terminate a signed agreement rather than talk things over.

And this may sound like a conspiracy theory, but I also wonder if there's some jealously from the top-selling PA's. After I made my agreement with DAZ, I quickly had 400 products listed on their site, making me the second-largest PA after RDNA. I don't think a lot of top PA's didn't like the fact that I suddenly jumped from 0 products to 400, especially when a lot of my products were older or were meant for use in Poser, Studio Max, or Vue. But the PA's shouldn't blame me since DAZ should have chosen not to upload those products.
So I think there's a similar situation here. Suddenly, Hivewire has a lot of products and they're taking attention away from the usual top PA's. And there's probably some truth to the idea that Hivewire's animals are better than the DAZ animals, which is probably why DAZ wanted to sell the products in the first place. But again, this creates jealously from the DAZ PA's who worked on those animals.

And like I said before, it seems like DAZ would rather terminate an agreement than discuss the issues.
So sorry that happened to you too John. WOW... In your last line I can relate to my Facebook account. One day I logged off the next day I was blocked. Got a note from Fb that my account had been terminated. No discussion or reason. I opened up another using the same name and email account and they allowed it but it was like "really? how mature of you dolts"

I've often thought of a time when I would get my act together, get a really good work flow making my cg products and then approach DAZ but now.. no way, I'll stick with Hivewire and MAYBE, eventually sell at 'Rosity if they will have me but that's a long way off.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Hello and welcome Jennifer. I would welcome that but I like the suggestion that they not be exclusive because that would put the animals out of reach for me. Then again, I am happy to live with that if it has to be exclusive and it is for the good of the Hivewire team.

She did say no Exclusive Agreement required. (And thank you Jenn!!!!)

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
That is a very well placed intervention if I may say so. It is easy to see Daz as the evil entity and forget honest hard working individuals make the livelihood from Daz. I have worked for, and walked away from, more than one company because I did not like their policy or ethics but then I was lucky enough to be in a position to do so. I would imagine that there are people there that did not agree with this decision of if they did, the manner in which it was done. I feel as sorry for them as the team here over all of this.

Yep, and there are also a lot of excellent products and PAs over there.

Hornet3d

Wise
So here I am, another month so another chance to buy some Poser content so off I trot to Daz and fill my shopping cart, enter my credit card details and order. Opps something went wrong, some how I have manged to spend it here at Hivewire instead. Must remember not to do this again next month, or even later this month, or next week only problem is, at my age you forget things so easily :),

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
So here I am, another month so another chance to buy some Poser content so off I trot to Daz and fill my shopping cart, enter my credit card details and order. Opps something went wrong, some how I have manged to spend it here at Hivewire instead. Must remember not to do this again next month, or even later this month, or next week only problem is, at my age you forget things so easily :),

ROFL!

Dawn

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I've often thought of a time when I would get my act together, get a really good work flow making my cg products and then approach DAZ but now.. no way, I'll stick with Hivewire and MAYBE, eventually sell at 'Rosity if they will have me but that's a long way off.

I tried with DAZ last year (intending just the odd item) and they totally ignored my email. I was gonna try again this year, but to be honest, after this latest episode I doubt I will bother. I left one job because I felt too much under control (typical crap rules from the government) and I don't want to jump into that scenario again. I like being me myself and I, the boss :)

You will do well with Rendo, they got a good team.