Official Announcement: DAZ terminates agreement to publish HiveWire 3D animals!

Discussion in 'The Meadow' started by Chris, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Janet

Janet Extraordinary Contributing Artist

My first scifi book was a Wrinkle in Time. I got it in one of those school flyers that they passed out and kids could order books from. Loved that book!

I'm more of an Azimov and Heinlein person. Especially liked The Foundation series and the robots series.

Desertsilver and quietrob like this.
  2. James R.

James R. Busy Bee

One fantasy author whose work I do enjoy is Charles de Lint. Canadian author; writes mostly urban fantasy.

I really like his mix of the magical and the everyday world. He wrote a wonderful short story about a person who sets stray bicycles free at night, the imagery from which has always stayed with me.

Desertsilver likes this.
  3. Mythocentric

Mythocentric Extraordinary

I do believe I've read that book sometime back in the 70's or 80's. However, I must admit I've never got bored of the 'Master'. Yeah to Sir Terry! For me, probably one of the greatest authors this little old country of ours has produced. That's why I have a complete collection of his books, including a signed first edition copy of 'Nation' which is one of my most loved and valued possessions. Like LOTR I do occasionally re-read them, especially the Discworld series and find something new in them every time! It does sadden me though that we'll never find out how Tiffany Aching got on!

Thank ee' Sir! I don't know if that makes me a geek but I will lay claim to being the world tallest hobbit at just under 6 feet. I will also confess to being formerly known as Bilbo Baggins, my nickname from my years as a student. Sad to say, time races on, and these days I'm better known for having more hair on my feet than my head! Eee! That's cruel Mr Frodo. (Especially in winter when I forget my woolly hat!):)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    James R. likes this.
  4. xyer0

xyer0 Admirable

What I loved about classic science fiction (Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, Dick) was its commentary on current events. I'm not aware of literary science fiction anymore, but I see less of that in large scale science fiction movies.

And Oregon, free-spirited as ever, probably chose textbooks and trained teachers differently from the other 49 states.

5. Mythocentric

Hairy Footnote:
    For those of you unfamiliar with Tiffany Aching, she was the young lady who, at the age of 8 years, defeated the Fairy Queen by lamping her upside the head with a large iron frying pan and was heading towards becoming the Discworlds most powerful witch! Go read! :eek:

6. Satira Capriccio

Satira Capriccio Distinguished CV-BEE Contributing Artist

I absolutely loved the Discworld books that I read. But, I also felt overwhelmed by the sheer volume of books there already were in the series by the time I discovered it. I fully intend one day to read them all from beginning to end.

I read all three Ring books one after the the other, so it may as well have been one huge volume.

I generally skipped through the 25 page songs about five thousand years ago. It is a bit of an annoyance to me when books splatter (sometimes rather generously) all these songs throughout the pages. I love the Green Rider series by Kristen Britain, but it too suffers from song infection.

Mythocentric likes this.
  7. anikad

anikad New-Bee

Yes being from the UK with a West Indian mother, we've talked about this. We both agree that in the UK at least, tearing down those statues and building names will just feed into the collective amnesia that is UK knowledge of UK history. Of the truly horrific things we did during the Empire. People say empire was bad like they say the black plague was bad - ancient history that has nothing to do with today. People don't comprehend the full horror of what we did and why countries legitimately hate us. They seem to think that people should get over it. I disagree - I caught one of those Indian partian documentaries - 15 million people displaced, 1 million dead and thousands of women raped - all thanks to how Britain decided to leave and partian India. The people who suffered are still alive. There is so much we don't know and were never taught and will never learn if those statues etc. are removed. They should be contextualised, a plaque with the bad things should be placed next to the good.

And yes I have no idea who Benedict Arnold was - I don't remember being taught any US history.

8. daywalker03

daywalker03 Eager

Anyone here ever read "The Deed of Paksenairan"? (I just know I've mangled the girl's name, but I don't have the book at hand to be certain of the spelling.)

9. Terre

Terre Distinguished

@anikad : Here in the US Benedict Arnold's name is synonymous with "traitor" as he was a general who switched sides during the Revolutionary War. What my husband picked up from living in England for two years as a teen back in the mid 70's was that Arnold had thought that he would be viewed as a hero when he emigrated to England after the war. Instead he was looked down upon by those who knew who he was. They didn't consider him to be a traitor who came to his senses. Instead most viewed him as doubly traitorous. First he turned on the King and then he turned on his fellow rebels.

10. Terre

Terre Distinguished

anikad said: "They should be contextualised, a plaque with the bad things should be placed next to the good."
    In my opinion that is something that all countries should do. Sadly, in many, all too many people are trying to hide the bad instead of learn from it.

11. Mythocentric

I was lucky enough to pick up on the Discworld with The Light Fantastic (2nd book) at our local library so I picked up that and The Colour of Magic. After that, I was firmly hooked and bought them as they were published so it wasn't too painful. Since then I've also collected them on Kindle (to keep the books in good condition afap). As Mr Pratchett himself said, you don't have to read them in any particular order, but if you do it's amazing how many cross-references you can spot, such was his consistency. There are also some superb cross-book scenes (not always his own!), one favourite being when the three witches, Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick are drifting along an underground river when Gollum paddles up on a log and informs them that it's his birthday, at which Nanny knocks him senseless with an oar! I would have dearly loved to have seen how Gandalf and Rincewind got on with each other.

Hands up time! I skip past the endless songs too! :notworthy:

12. Willowisp

Willowisp Eager

Rincewind and Gandalf would probably get along well - but now I'm imagining a staring contest between Saruman and Vetinari..

Oh yea, and I usually skip those songs as well.. and I only suffered through the Silmaril once.. never again :sleep:

Mythocentric likes this.
  13. JOdel

JOdel Extraordinary HW Honey Bear

Paksenarrion. Yes. That was a rather outstanding debut trilogy, wasn't it? And made it clear from the get-go that Elizabeth Moon has the ability to keep in control of a complex plot over an extended story arc without losing track of the details.

On the whole, I rather prefer her science fiction. But when she finally went back and revisited the Paksenarrion world for a 2nd series a few years ago, I'd say she did even better. The original trilogy showed too much of the RPG influence -- that she admitted to. By the time she went back there wasn't't any obvious gaming influence pushing the plot around at all.

14. quietrob

quietrob Extraordinary

I was 12 or 13, I needed an escape from the culture shock of living on a military base to a rough neighborhood. I had went through through the Nancy Drew Mysteries, the knocked off the entire Hardy Boys series and still I wanted more. The librarian, bless her dear heart was always there with an idea of what a young boy would like to read. She introduced me to a book called, "Have Space Suit, Will Travel", by Robert Heinlein and I never looked back. I went through his "juvenile" series like Time for the Stars, and such then just as my hormones were peaking, I was introduced to a story called "Stranger in a Strange Land, and the other stories of Adult Fiction by Heinlein". My mind was officially blown. I still reread "Time Enough for Love", by Heinlein every few years. It meant something different at each stage of my life. It is my all time favorite Novel followed by to Sail Beyond the Sunset.

I enjoyed the Foundation series and I found there is a difference between Great ideas and Great story telling. No doubt about it. As you speak of the Masters of Science Fiction, Heinlein is the best story teller I ever came across. Roger Zelanzy, Jack Chalker also must receive honorable mention.

I watched the original Star Trek as a little boy, got my heart broke when it was cancelled but time as revealed me wise for liking that show.

@Hornet3d and @Terre That is interesting. In this country, the list of betrayers goes Judas Iscariot and Benedict Arnold and then everyone else. Yes, Yes, we yanks across the pond were traitors to the throne but we told you. "No Taxation without Representation." Ya shoulda listened! LOL!

Oh and Lincoln did free the slaves. Typically, the President gets the credit and the blame for what happens on their watch. Because we're not a monarchy, no one can accomplish anything alone but certainly leadership is responsible for all the good and bad things that happen in this country on a general scale. Columbus? I think I read he didn't discover the USA but we still named a city after him.

David likes this.
  15. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

Azimov is my all time favorite sci-fi author, and I have all the Foundation series, as well as the Second Foundation Trilogy Series by Gregory Benford, Greg Bear and David Brin, written with permission from Mrs. Azimov, after Isaac Azimov passed. I also read the Robot novels, and of course the original I, Robot, long before they made it into a movie. I never got into the huge Robot collections.

I'm also a huge fan of Anne McCaffrey's huge Pern series, which are probably 80% sci-fi, with about 20% fantasy. After all, there were dragons. ;)

I never got into Heinlein at all.

Desertsilver likes this.
  16. Satira Capriccio

Barely mangled.

I read The Deed of Paksenarrion and absolutely loved it. But then ... anything with a strong female main character generally appeals to me.

Though ... I can't say the same for female news anchors / news casters / etc. Watched one recently who was dressed as if she were going clubbing?!? Seriously? I don't get why so many women who do the news have such high pitched voices. Or maybe that's a criteria to be on the news?

17. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

I wasn't familiar with that series, so just took a look, and it sounds good. I also like strong female main characters, though lately I've been reading more crime fiction series, where the female character is a cop, lawyer or private investigator, so not sci-fi at all. I just may have to put Deed of Paksenarrion on my To Read list.

18. Satira Capriccio

I think the Pern series started out mostly as fantasy, which is what attracted me most. In the later books, they gained access to the original colonists technology, and it definitely became more sci fi than fantasy. Which is when I lost interest.

19. Stezza

Stezza Extraordinary

My first SciFi book that I can remember when I was about 8 or 9 years old was a hard cover of VTTBOTS :geek:

20. JOdel

JOdel Extraordinary HW Honey Bear

Moon's novels are usually swarming with strong female characters. Chiefly because they are usually told with a female PoV (there are exceptions when the PoV shifts among a group of characters) and her points of view are not wimps. And they are typically not "token women" plopped into a standard male adventure tale. There are a *lot* of secondary female characters as well. And they are not all alike. Particularly in the SF novels. Which, for the record are almost always military-based. Or become so.

So are most of the fantasy novels, for that matter. 'Sheepfarmer's Daughter' opens with Paksenarrion deciding that bucolic drudgery was not for her, and ran off to join a mercenary company.

Pendraia likes this.